Are email or SMS the only two-factor authentication methods? I want to share Quicken app with wife

Options
joe_149
joe_149 Member
edited March 9 in Before you Buy

I was kicked off Mint. Looking for a good budget solution, but need an app-based 2 factor authentication so my wife can also login when she wants. Mint allowed us to use Authenticator app for 2FA.

WIthout this, my wife would need to ask me for the 2FA code each time she logs in. Other apps seem to have this, and I'll need to use them is Quicken hasn't implemented this.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm no text msg whiz, so no comments about that method, but you could have your email client auto-forward any emails that show up with the financial institution's address and appropriate subject to her email.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Building on what @splasher said, you might also consider creating an email account just for Quicken authentications, and set it to forward all incoming mail to both you and your wife's actual email addresses. Some email providers make this an easy option to do.

Also, in sharing Quicken with your wife, are you planning to both use it on the same computer at different times, or are you aiming to both be able to access Quicken on your respective computers? The latter can be dicey, since Quicken's data file must live locally on a computer's hard drive (e.g. not on a cloud storage platform); there are ways to manage moving a data file around safely, and there are many threads on that topic on this forum if you need to explore that.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you were happy with using a Cloud-based financial planning application (Mint) you might find that Quicken Simplifi would meet your requirements. Simplifi is a Cloud-based application allowing one (or more) to access it from a browser wherever an Internet connection can be established There is no need to carefully manage the data file(s) of a computer-based software like Quicken Classic.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.