Add/Remove Shares Transaction are working incorrectly!!!!!

Options
JoelAlbert
JoelAlbert Member ✭✭

Just hit a strange situation ….

I need to Remove shares from a brokerage account (moved to an account that is not connected to Quicken Classic).

I tried Removing the shares but it actually ADDED the shares in the account, essentially doubling the number of shares.

On a lark I tried Adding the shares which actually REMOVED the shares in the account which is what I was trying to do.

I think the functionality of these Transactions is essentially Backwards and want to report this as a bug.

Macintosh Ventura 13.6.4 running Quicken Classic ersion 7.5.2 (Build 705.51955.100)

Strange!!!

Joel

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @JoelAlbert,

When did you first notice this issue? After a recent update? Do you receive any error codes or messages? To clarify, this is a manual (offline) account?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JoelAlbert
    JoelAlbert Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the first time I have had to do this….

It’s very strange behavior!

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @JoelAlbert,

Would you mind answering all of the questions that I asked in my previous response?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JoelAlbert
    JoelAlbert Member ✭✭
    Options

The behavior originally reported is not repeatable. Let's close this discussion and I will start a new post since there is till a problem I cannot resolve.

• JoelAlbert
    JoelAlbert Member ✭✭
    Options

The behavior I originally reported has changed. Let me recap the issue to avoid confusion.

Account-A Charles Schwab was tracked in Quicken. I transferred all of the funds to a new Account-B also at Schwab. I added Account-B to Quicken. When I downloaded the Account-B transactions all I got were entries to Add Shares to Account-B. Balance Totals for Account-B are correct.

Account-A though does NOT show any Remove Share Entries and when I look at the portfolio all Shares are still showing in Account-A. The Balance Totals for Account-A are Incorrect since they still show all of the shares being in the Portfolio.

I then created a Remove Shares entry for Account-A which looks correct (it shows the correct dollar subtraction), BUT the portfolio still shows all of the shares in Account-A and the overall account Balance is Incorrect. I even Reconciled Account-A and everything looks fine except the Portfolio holdings are incorrect since the Remove Shares entry didn't seem to do anything.

This is the first time I have used this functionality. I update Quicken regularly but I can't tell if it might have worked before but not now. Lastly, no error codes were received.

Thanks

Joel

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Did you disconnect Account A from downloading? Or mark the account as Closed?

Have you looked for a placeholder transaction(s), likely at the beginning of your transaction register for this account, which is forcing the holdings and cash balance to remain constant at the old level? (It's possible that Schwab isn't reporting anything on the old account to Quicken, so Quicken is trying to maintain the last-known balance.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    Options

I believe the correct transaction, likely needed to be done manually, is to Transfer Shares from A to B. You may need to delete any transactions that were automatically done. I think this will also maintain your cost basis while the add/remove shares won't.

This discussion has been closed.