Quicken confused by security names

Options
Tony Luers
Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
edited March 15 in Investing (Windows)

I've asked this question months ago, it hasn't been fixed and continues to happen every month. I have 2 holdings in separate accounts, QYLD -Global X NASDAQ 100 COVERED CALL ETF and RYLD -Global X RUSSELL 2000 COVERED CALL ETF. Every time I get a dividend reinvestment for QYLD, Quicken wants to put it in RYLD and says there is a share miss match. QYLD and RYLD are in separate accounts. When I go to the transaction and try to change RYLD to QYLD, I have to manually enter it as a new investment. Next month I will have to do it again. Why can't Quicken get these 2 straight? Why are these 2 dividend reinvestments getting confused every month?

Comments

• Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

Quicken doesn't identify securities by name (unless importing QIF files), it does it by CUSIP Id.

If these two securities are getting "confused" there is only two possible reasons. Either the financial institution is sending the wrong/duplicate CUSIP Id (unlikely, but possible) or sometime in the past Quicken asked you about the "new security" and you matched to the wrong one/existing one.

You can "unmatch" a security so that Quicken asks again by unchecking this box in the Security Details:

Note that the CUSIP Id is on the "Other Info" dialog.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/Chris_QPW Thanks for a reply.

So, RYLD is matched with a online security (box is checked) and has the correct CUSIP. QYLD, the box is not checked and there is no CUSIP listed. Any idea how I fix it? Do I uncheck the box for RYLD?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm I'm not sure, maybe one of the SuperUsers that know more about the securities has an idea. If one doesn't have a CUSIP I'm not sure how Quicken behaves.

@Jim_Harman @q_lurker

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I unchecked the RYLD box. I found an old article that said next download should ask me about matching. Next dividends for both will be the end of the month, so we'll see. At least now I kind of know part of the issue, no CUSIP ID for QYLD. Be nice if I could find a way to just add it.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You did the right thing. The next time a transaction downloads for either of these securities, a dialog should appear asking which of you Quicken securities it is for. Be sure you answer this correctly.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You may be able to force the dialog before the next dividend.

• Any download from your financial institution that includes current holdings will force it if you have the needed preferences setting (Edit / Preference / Downloaded transactions / Compare Account portfolio … )
    • Tools / Online Center / your financial institution and account / Holdings tab / Compare to portfolio button.
    • From the account transaction list, gear icon (upper right), Reconcile Shares

• Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not having any luck with that. Everything seems OK.

This discussion has been closed.