What are some good reason's to open a NEW Quicken File?

Options
Palace
Palace Member ✭✭✭

I understand how to open a new file. Also the common reason's for a new file; such as separate business, two or more people having separate account's, etc. Any other suggestions that you've discovered that make keeping track of your money clearer, simpler, easier to display, etc.? Also, should the new file always be accessed with a NEW ID & PASSWORD to avoid mistakes in updating said separate accounts? Or, all things considered, is it best to just keep ALL accounts on ONE file?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

My belief is that all of the Q info for a single tax entity should be in a single Q data file. My file goes back top 1983, although I have a Test file that's much more recent and a file for my role as the Treasurer of a club.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19 Answer ✓
    Options

Also, should the new file always be accessed with a NEW ID & PASSWORD to avoid mistakes in updating said separate accounts?

Unless you have a very good reason for it, I certainly wouldn't use a different Quicken Id, which would mean paying for another subscription.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

To be tad more specific why I was pondering on adding another file. I was thinking maybe if I had all checking & savings that are accessed frequently in 1 file, and retirement accounts, bonds, IRA's, etc. that are only used infrequently in a NEW separate file; that would be less confusing? Then again, on second thought; maybe not so good an idea🤔 What you think?

Not a good idea.

Accounts like this are seldom "independent" and the frequency of you accessing them or that transactions downloading happens isn't going to change that. Just take this situation into account. You are going to transfer funds from your checking account to your retirement account (especially if it is to a 401K/403b and done by a paycheck reminder). How would you record that transfer in both accounts? A withdraw in one and a deposit in the other? How are you going to handle the pre-tax accounting of a 401K/403b?

What's more let's talk performance. Quicken doesn't read in all the accounts when it starts. It waits until you access them, and then reads that account in and then keeps that information in RAM until you exit Quicken.

So, other than some numbers on the Account Bar or in a selection of what accounts to select in certain lists, you can basically ignore the investment accounts and it wouldn't be any different than if they weren't there.

Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have inactive accounts, even ones you have closed in real life, you can hide them so they do not clutter up the Account Bar and selection lists.

If you have accounts that you do not want to include in your net worth and other reports, 529 education accounts for example, you can mark them Separate.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

My belief is that all of the Q info for a single tax entity should be in a single Q data file. My file goes back top 1983, although I have a Test file that's much more recent and a file for my role as the Treasurer of a club.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19 Answer ✓
    Options

Also, should the new file always be accessed with a NEW ID & PASSWORD to avoid mistakes in updating said separate accounts?

Unless you have a very good reason for it, I certainly wouldn't use a different Quicken Id, which would mean paying for another subscription.

Signature:
  • Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

NotACPA: Thank you for advice. I was thinking of joining a little club in these parts. Don't think they would allow me to be Treasurer though, and I don't blame them. I sure don't have your resume 😉

Chris_QPW: Gee, thanks for noting I would have to pay for another subscription. Didn't realize that. Thought one subscription would allow access to as many Quicken ID's as subscriber would want 😲🤣

To be tad more specific why I was pondering on adding another file. I was thinking maybe if I had all checking & savings that are accessed frequently in 1 file, and retirement accounts, bonds, IRA's, etc. that are only used infrequently in a NEW separate file; that would be less confusing? Then again, on second thought; maybe not so good an idea🤔 What you think?

Also, any other thoughts on why anyone,(not just me) would need a NEW separate file, besides reasons listed above??

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not a good idea.

Accounts like this are seldom "independent" and the frequency of you accessing them or that transactions downloading happens isn't going to change that. Just take this situation into account. You are going to transfer funds from your checking account to your retirement account (especially if it is to a 401K/403b and done by a paycheck reminder). How would you record that transfer in both accounts? A withdraw in one and a deposit in the other? How are you going to handle the pre-tax accounting of a 401K/403b?

What's more let's talk performance. Quicken doesn't read in all the accounts when it starts. It waits until you access them, and then reads that account in and then keeps that information in RAM until you exit Quicken.

So, other than some numbers on the Account Bar or in a selection of what accounts to select in certain lists, you can basically ignore the investment accounts and it wouldn't be any different than if they weren't there.

Signature:
  • Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks again for assistance. Guess I'll just stick now with 1 file, seems wisest course to chart.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have inactive accounts, even ones you have closed in real life, you can hide them so they do not clutter up the Account Bar and selection lists.

If you have accounts that you do not want to include in your net worth and other reports, 529 education accounts for example, you can mark them Separate.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Jim_Harman. I have hidden & separated some of my other accounts. For some reason, hasn't occurred to me to just do the same to these 🤣

This discussion has been closed.