Downgrade from Quicken Deluxe to Quicken Starter

Options

I'm given an option to downgrade from Quicken Deluxe to Starter but there is no conversion information. Like will I still be able to use my Quicken file or do I need to start over?

Functionality-wise I only use Deluxe as a check register to track bills (paid manually online), download transactions and reconcile my statements. I think Starter will do this but I'm not sure I want to start all over. I just hate paying for something I don't use. My renewal is in March!

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken Mac uses a single file format from Starter to Deluxe to Premier to Business & Personal subscription levels. So yes, you can choose to downgrade from Deluxe to Starter, and continue to work with your existing file. You'll just lose access to some of the features which are disabled in Starter, like investment and loan accounts.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Another thing to think about is that Starter Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode if the subscription expires. That means it is only good for reference and generating reports.

@ByondFear - What @splasher posted is important for those who do not plan to renew their subscription every year but want to continue using the software manually. But since you do use Quicken to download you will need to renew your subscription every year anyway. Because of this, Starter going to READ-ONLY should not be a concern unless you change your mind and at some point choose to not renew your subscription.

Just to clarify, downgrading (or upgrading) your subscription is very easy. You can find some information about the process here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs . Basically, you can downgrade your subscription within the last 6 months of your current subscription in your Quicken.com online account. When your current subscription the expires, the downgraded subscription takes effect and the software you currently have installed will be updated to reflect the new subscription. This update does not involve any new software or software version downloads. It is simply that the Deluxe features that are not included in Starter will be turned off and that should be a transparent process to you. And, yes, you will be able to continue using your current data file(s)…no need to start a new data file or go through any type of file conversion process.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• ByondFear
    ByondFear Member
    Options

My current file has transactions to 2015. Previous years archived. Mac doesn't allow this so if it won't use the same file I'd have a file that I can't access??

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken Mac uses a single file format from Starter to Deluxe to Premier to Business & Personal subscription levels. So yes, you can choose to downgrade from Deluxe to Starter, and continue to work with your existing file. You'll just lose access to some of the features which are disabled in Starter, like investment and loan accounts.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another thing to think about is that Starter Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode if the subscription expires. That means it is only good for reference and generating reports.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@ByondFear - What @splasher posted is important for those who do not plan to renew their subscription every year but want to continue using the software manually. But since you do use Quicken to download you will need to renew your subscription every year anyway. Because of this, Starter going to READ-ONLY should not be a concern unless you change your mind and at some point choose to not renew your subscription.

Just to clarify, downgrading (or upgrading) your subscription is very easy. You can find some information about the process here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs . Basically, you can downgrade your subscription within the last 6 months of your current subscription in your Quicken.com online account. When your current subscription the expires, the downgraded subscription takes effect and the software you currently have installed will be updated to reflect the new subscription. This update does not involve any new software or software version downloads. It is simply that the Deluxe features that are not included in Starter will be turned off and that should be a transparent process to you. And, yes, you will be able to continue using your current data file(s)…no need to start a new data file or go through any type of file conversion process.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• ByondFear
    ByondFear Member
    Options

Thank you both! My quicken is on automatic reorder so I'm on it until/if I decide to switch to something else. 😊🙌

This discussion has been closed.