Checking Register Behavior on opening application and uploading transactions

Options
Michael Heady
Michael Heady Member ✭✭

My primary checking account is with Wells Fargo. I have no problems downloading and reconciling transactions but I do see an odd, yet consistent behavior.

When I start up Quicken Classic for Mac and open the register, rather than highlight the last transaction entered it defaults to one in August 2023. This same behavior result at the end of a download/reconcile process.

Nothing looks unusual about the default opening transaction in 2023 and it is reconciled.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Michael Heady,

To help troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more information? When did you first notice this issue? Is it happening in only one account register? Do you have any filters active in your register? Is the register sorted by date?

Was the transaction that keeps getting highlighted edited or changed in any way?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Michael Heady
    Michael Heady Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Christina!

I do not have any filters but your response gave me something to look at. It was only happening with my Wells Fargo Checking register. The date selection I had was the "up" arrow, rather than the "down" arrow as you show above. I changed that and it seemed like the issue went away, until I quit Quicken and started it back up. It popped open the same split transaction that has been the landing spot again. No matter how I set the date sort it does the same thing. The transaction isn't changed and I can step off it without having to save it.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When did you first notice this issue? If possible, please try restoring a backup from before the issue started and test to see if the issue happens in that newly restored file.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Michael Heady
    Michael Heady Member ✭✭
    Options

This started a few weeks ago, coincident to an application update. I will attempt to restore a copy, but my NAS crashed and I am in the process of restoring my TimeMachine backups.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Michael Heady There have been scattered reports of this same problem in this forum for years. I don't know that a smoking gun has ever been identified, nor do I know if the developers are even aware of it because it's not something anyone can describe steps to recreate theproblem.

I think someone (@RickO?) had identified a series of steps to get it "unstuck" from the date in the past, but I couldn't locate the post on a quick search. I think it was something like Quicittn Quicken, relaunching, editing the transaction it starts with and then immediately quitting and relaunching, but I feel like I'm not remembering the sequence in its entirety. And or course, since I'm not experiencing this problem, I can't test for a way to get it "unstuck".

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I've had this happen to me occasionally over the years. What I've done to fix it is to scroll to the most recent transaction end of the register. Edit the most recent fully entered transaction (not a scheduled transaction). Make any small change, such as adding character(s) to the memo. Save the edit then immediately quit Quicken. (The immediate part seems to be important.)

I haven't had this happen in a while, but I gave this process to someone else recently and it worked for them. Let us know if it works for you.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Michael Heady
    Michael Heady Member ✭✭
    Options

RickO:

I tried your recommendation to no avail. This started happening a couple of months ago. Regrettably I was not able to restore my TM backups from my crashed NAS, so I cannot restore an earlier copy to play with. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

All I can say is I've seen it work sometimes and not other times. Sometimes when it's not worked for a while, it works later, so I'd keep trying occasionally. Eventually it seems to sort itself out and why is a mystery to me.

In the

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Michael Heady
    Michael Heady Member ✭✭
    Options

Oddly, I inadvertently solved the issue. I renamed my data file on my Mac and the problem went away.

This discussion has been closed.