IOS quicken 7.0 freezes on show results when filtering categories

Options

The question pretty much describes my issue. It started with 7.0.1, perhaps even with 7.0.0 — I’ve not been tracking it that closely.

I can set filters for date range and accounts just fine, and when I tap Show Results, the filtered transactions appear OK (though there is now a noticeably longer pause than in the previous version):

But when I additionally filter by category, and tap Show Results, the app freezes - as shown in screenshot below where the Show Results button is grayed out:

If I wait for a very long period of time (e.g. walk away, leaving the Quicken app in place w/o changing to some other app, then come back and check about 5-10 minutes later), it has now shown the filtered list. However, that list has appeared to be missing some transactions.

Any help appreciated, many thanks -

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited March 1
    Options

Hello @lokibear0803,

To help troubleshoot this issue, I attempted to replicate the issue you describe. While I can't fully replicate the issue, I can confirm that there is a long delay when filtering by a large enough number of categories. Since no account type was specified, I tested using a checking account. When filtering by 15 categories, there was zero freezing or delay. When filtering by 90 categories, there was significant delay (about 90 seconds), and during that delay, the app was unresponsive to everything except scrolling. When filtering by 166 categories, there was even greater delay (about 3 minutes), and during that delay, the app was unresponsive to everything except scrolling.

To report the issue to the proper channels, I need some additional information: What kind of device are you using (For example iPhone SE2)? Which version of iOS is on your device (You can usually find this by going to Settings>General>About on your iPhone or iPad)? What kind of account(s) do you see this issue happen with?

If you haven't done so already, please try uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken mobile companion app, then test to see if that helps with the issue at all.

I look forward to your reply!

(CTP-9203)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• lokibear0803
    Options

Many thanks for your troubleshooting. I’m on an iPad Pro, iPadOS 16.6.1, and I’m using credit card accounts when this happens. I rarely using the iPad Quicken for my checking accounts. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling already, to no avail.

What I’ll do now is what should have been obvious to me: reduce the # of categories I’m using. I’m noticing there is no simple way to do this at least on the iPad Quicken - it’s one at a time. Perhaps it’s easier on my Mac desktop.

Regardless, I sure appreciate the help and insights. After I get my # of categories down to some reasonable level, I’ll test again and update you.

• lokibear0803
    Options

So I’m down to 48 categories, and it takes about that many seconds to update (similar to your test results). That makes it usable again, at least. A similar issue has actually always been an issue with iPad Quicken for me — it’s rather slow on startup, taking a minute or so. But now this 1-second-per-category delay on Show Results seems to be new since 7.0.x.

I’ll continue trying to delete more categories on my desktop and see if that helps even more (I’d imagine so, based on what you and I have seen).

So I do thank you - and to state what’s likely obvious to you: while this workaround makes things acceptable, it is a step backwards in user experience - and appears to have been introduced with version 7.

FTM you might tell me that most users have nowhere near 50 categories, and perhaps I’m the outlier here. Fair enough!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

By default, Quicken has about 180 categories pre-loaded, plus you have the ability to add your own custom categories, so it isn't uncommon to have a lot of categories (although odds are you don't use many of them).

In the app, if you're wanting to filter by just a small number of categories, probably the simplest way to do it is to tap the Clear All link, then scroll through and select just the categories you want to filter by (Note: this does not delete the categories).

If you're trying to delete categories, rather than just adjust the filter in the app, you'd do that through the desktop program. Prior to deleting categories, it's a good idea to backup your Quicken file. If you delete a category by accident, choose File → Undo or type ⌘Z to undo the delete. If you want to bulk delete categories, go to Window>Categories. Quicken recognizes the keyboard shortcuts, so you should be able to bulk select by holding Shift when you click (to choose an entire group at once), or holding the Command key while you highlight each category you want to delete.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• lokibear0803
    Options

Thanks Kristina. I got on the Mac desktop to delete more categories, and noticed that the desktop list of categories did not reflect what I deleted on the iPad. Most (all?) of those were still present. So I deleted a bunch on desktop, and went back to iPad to use Quicken — but now the delay is actually worse. Still not as bad as what motivated my message to you — now it’s about 2.5 seconds for each category (previously it was just frozen, no response after 10-20 minutes).

So wondering will there be an update to version 7.x to address this? if not, do you know how I can revert to prior version 6?

Many thanks,

Gary

• lokibear0803
    Options

One more data point for you - as of last night, I’ve noticed Quicken on iPad is not updating with more txns - last shown are from Feb 23. I’ve tried quitting the app, restarting, but no difference. I’ll try that again. I have seen this behavior before, and it did eventually clear up. Perhaps you have a known workaround to force updates in this situation?

Thanks again, Kristina.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If it's not updating and not recognizing the changes you're making on the desktop program, that sounds like it's not syncing properly. Have you gone to Quicken>Settings, then the Mobile, Web, & Alerts tab to make sure sync is turned on for that file?

If Sync is turned on, then you may want to go to the Connected Services tab, verify that it's seeing the correct cloud account name, and click the Reset button. Resetting the cloud should remove any bad/outdated information and then upload the information again.

Once the reset is complete, you may need to log out of the app and back in again to sync it back up.

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• lokibear0803
    Options

I ended up doing Refresh Data in the iPad app, then IIRC that didn’t help so I uninstalled/reinstalled again. And that seemed to do the trick. It is also responding more quickly now. So I’m good to go for now — many thanks for your help and patience!

Best,

Gary

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

I'm glad to hear it's responding more quickly now!

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.