Android App and Exchange rates

Options
crazyal
crazyal Member ✭✭
edited March 24 in Using the Mobile App

So I been using the app while it's not the greatest, it sometimes has its uses. But I did notice to major issues with it and I submitted feedback but to no surprise, I have received no reply or comments from Intuit regarding these issues. They are as follows:

1. I am in Canada and I have accounts setup both in Can $ and US$ currencies, which on the Windows version works fine. Did have some issues with it in the past but seems the issues were fixed and for the most part I am happy with that. However, the app displays ONLY the CAN $ funds when I click the 3 bar side menu and choose INVESTMENTS. The US$ accounts show up NO WHERE. Let me clarify; US$ investments (Mutual funds) in US$ currency do NOT show up. I have looked everywhere to see if it was some setting, but no luck.
  2. On the app, the total net worth comes up based on all accounts, HOWEVER, (and this is a BIG however), when it totals everything up, it does NOT take into account the fact of the different currencies and adds them all up as if they were ALL CAN$ currencies. Kind of makes that value pointless as well as incorrect if it doesn't take into account the fact that presently the exchange rate between US$ and CAN$ is roughly 1.3475. The windows program does do it correctly, but the app displays an uncalculated value.

Has anyone else noticed this?

What does Quicken/Intuit support say to this?

I await.

😒

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken mobile and web apps do not support multiple currencies. Quicken windows US will not even sync non USD account to Quicken cloud data set. Strange enough Quicken windows Canada and quicken Mac will sync for an account but it's really just transferring the number not actually supporting currencies.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • crazyal
    crazyal Member ✭✭
    Options

Ah see that's where Quicken Canada differs. The windows version does update u.s. currency and does account for the exchange rate when presenting total value. But your observation to what it does or does not do is completely besides the point: my point is WHY doesn't Intuit/Quicken implement this? What purpose does it serve to give incorrect accounting of my data?

But also your reply speaks only to one of my raised concerns.

Perhaps someone from Quicken can answer me. And PLEASE, observing policies fror what Quicken US does is irrelevant to me; I already mentioned I use Quicken FROM CANADA, so perhaps before replying please read carefully what is in the original message. No disrespect intended but I notice all too often that people are very hasty to reply without giving the proper attention to the question.

Thank you 😊

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look at the status of the Idea post I referenced. It is says "Under consideration" as in not yet planned or implemented yet.

You can vote for it on the first page (box with the number in it).

It might not matter to you what happens on the other platforms, but I was just pointing out even though it behaves differently it isn't supported for any platform and the in my opinion Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows Canadian "give a false indication" that it is supported. That is why I mentioned it.

And Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in something like 8 years, the new company is called Quicken Inc.

Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I already mentioned I use Quicken FROM CANADA, so perhaps before replying please read carefully what is in the original message.

What you DO NOT state is that you are using the Canadian VERSION of QWin. There have been many that use the US version in Canada and run into problems. Even your community profile only says that you are using the 2016 version of QWin but NOT the Canadian version (that is an option). Perhaps if you gave more accurate information about your usage, you would get more accurate responses. So do not be so quick with YOUR replies.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• crazyal
    crazyal Member ✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

My apologies. You are correct. I did not even realize the information in the profile. I have since tried to correct the profile information however the option to choose regarding which Quicken version is still somewhat ambiguous so I added some information on the signature. Now as for voting on first page, I am somewhat confused as to where.

As for false indication, I don't quite understand what you mean. On my version the exchange calculation appears to be accurate and recalculates each time I do an account update of my data.

As for intuit vs. Quicken as 2 companies, I am aware they are separate companies but in my opinion that is just semantics in this discussion and I was just trying to make a point that SOMEONE in the company should take responsibility for such a flagrant flaw in the app. If they are going to allow currency configuration when creating accounts, it stands to reason you would respect the currency exchange would it not?

DAng! Ok how do I get the signature to show up? 🤔

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

DAng! Ok how do I get the signature to show up? 

You should be able to click on your profile icon in the top right and select Account & Privacy Settings and then Signature Settings and make sure that "hide" isn't selected. But this might be that you need more "points" for it to show up, since it sounds like you have already found this setting.

And let me say, that I wasn't "fooled", I knew that you were using Quicken Windows Canada. The fact that you can upload both CAD and USD accounts told me that. I'm not sure if this was there at the start but it is under your original post:

Clearly though, I didn't state what I was getting at clearly enough. Let me see if I can do better.

1. Yes, this is a problem.
    2. It is a known limitation, and the only thing we can do as customers is to post in threads, talk to support, and vote on Ideas to change that. And those ideas go through that states (not enough votes), under consideration, planned, implemented. That is the reason for me to point you at that idea (you can add your vote to it, and bookmark it to see if the status changes).
    3. The reason for pointing out that Quicken Windows US and Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows Canadian behave differently is because in the case of Quicken Windows Canadian and Quicken Mac it "looks like" there is multiple currency support, when there really isn't. Multiple currency support isn't just uploading the account transactions just as numbers, with no actual support for the exchange rate conversions/displaying of the information. In the case of Quicken Windows US, it is "full stop". Is that better than the numbers being there, but not "displayed/calculated" correctly? That is a tossup in my opinion. If given the choice as a customer that needs it, I would probably go with uploading, but as someone that has to explain to people that the support isn't there, "full stop" would be easier.
    4. The version that has the best multiple currency support is Quicken Windows Canadian, so for the most part you can't really compare it to the Mobile/Web which have the worst support for it. Quicken Windows US comes in as the second-best support for multiple currency. And Quicken Mac is after that.

Signature:
  • crazyal
    crazyal Member ✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

ok so 1st, the signature, actually I noticed the signature shows up when I browse it in windows but not when I view it thru an android web browser. Starting to see a trend with things relating to Quicken when it comes to windows vs mac vs android vs…whomever else. LOL. Know what I mean? <wink wink>

Anyhow, yes I would have to agree with you with your assessments on the App. It's incomplete, has, to some degree, erroneous displaying of data, and to be perfectly honest, not the greatest for accessing personal data on my investments etc. I also noticed it had errors of data. One of my funds was closed for over 13 years and in Windows shows a ZERO balance in $$ as well as shares, yet, for some reason, the app showed a value for about $4.71 cents or some amount close to that. In fact the fund was ACTUALLY CLOSED and marked as to NOT be displayed. I had to delete the fund in Windows Quicken Canada, perform a cloud sync, and then FINALLY the value vanished from the app. Honestly, I have to say the app still lacks a certain level of reliability. It's not a complete piece of doggie doo doo (didn't want to use profanity), but it still lacks the refinement found in Windows version or at least a major improvement to make it worthwhile. I can't even specify which accounts to sync like in Windows.

Alas, guess I have to do with what it gives, for now….

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, the SuperUsers have an even poorer view of Quicken Mobile/Web, none will touch it except for testing out of fear that it will corrupt their data file (and yes it has done that to some people's data file).

Signature:
  • crazyal
    crazyal Member ✭✭
    Options

You know it's funny. I started using Quicken when it first came out and it was originally on mac, on 3.5 floppy. I think it was mid or late 80's? Back then it was all one company under intuit. I think it was like v 1.5 and they were giving away the software for free. It's come a long way…but somehow I'm not sure I like it now as much as I did back then. That's the problem today with these big software packages. They grow so big that when they fall down, they fall HARD. I would rather have a LESS "equipped" piece of software THAT WORKS PROPERLY than a software so equipped with features the list of bugs and issues exceed the features. If you look at the last update, the list of bugs was a mile long. The problem most often on bug fixes is that they tend to be, what programmers call, a BAND-AID. I know; I'm a 48 year programming veteran and I've had to deal with MANY band-aid dilemmas. They tend to snowball and turn into massive boulders of messes and a big dose of Pandora's box. Ultimately blowing up and beyond repair.

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, that pretty much sums up Quicken Windows (Quicken Mac is better because it the started rewriting it but is lacking quite a few features. I doubt anyone would have guessed how long that is taking). And that is exactly why they can't do a rewrite for Quicken Windows; it is the massive boulder that will not just be reproduced in any time frame that will allow them to be able to afford it.

Signature:
  • crazyal
    crazyal Member ✭✭
    Options

I would say that if they ever do a rewrite, by the time they get to the point of releasing a rewrite, it would be somewhat obsolete. Guess we live with what we have.

Using Windows 10

Quicken Canadian version

This discussion has been closed.