Q renaming rules don't save

Options

Running Quicken ClassicPremier (R54.16) on a PC running Windows 11 Home (build 22631.3155). 12th Gen Core i5-12400/12 GB RAM….

A few months ago I moved my Quicken files from a Mac running Parallels Desktop to a separate Windows PC (see above specs). I did a full backup of Quicken on the Mac, then restored on the new PC. Since the migration, everything has been fine except the renaming rules. They appear to work fine: I'll do a 1-step update, accept transactions, add a few new Renaming Rules, click Close, then exit Quicken. When I restart the program, the Renaming Rules list is empty. The rules I created previously are gone. I don't think there are any preferences that would cause this type of behavior, and it never happened before I migrated. Any thoughts on what I can try to get Renaming Rules to "stick"?

Thanks, Ken

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @KenMahler-Cincy,

To assist with this issue, could you please clarify if this issue started immediately after you converted the file from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows?

If that is when it started, then it's possible that this issue is being caused by an error/flaw when the file was converted. Have you tried converting the original file again to see if the issue happens in a newly converted file?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

I don't think this issue began immediately after I migrated the file. I think it began sometime after that. I moved Quicken to the PC a few months ago, and my memory is a bit foggy. To be clear, the file didnt get "converted" (from Mac to Windows). Parallels creates a separate partition on the Mac, which is formatted just like a PC running Window, then Quicken for Windows was installed in that partition (on the Mac). So, it ran just like it was a on a PC. I simply backed up the Quicken file on the Mac/Parallels, then restored on the PC.

Thanks!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Thanks for clarifying that this isn't a file that was converted from Mac to Windows; it has always been a Quicken for Windows file and was simply moved from a virtual machine running Windows to a PC running Windows.

The behavior you describe with renaming rules not being remembered does still sound like a file-specific issue though. To troubleshoot this, I suggest that you start by validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

Neither Validate or Super Validate fixed the issue. The renaming Rules don't get saved after exiting/re-opening Quicken. Question: after i ran Validate/Supervalidate, I was prompted enter a password for the file. that waasn't exactly clear to me. It seemed that the process would create a new data file with a password I assigned. I assigned a new password when I validated the file. Indeed, a new file was created and opened when I put in the new password, but it didn't seem to contain the data from my old date file and the filesize was very small. When I ran Supervalidatee, I did not assign a password, and a new data file did not appear to have been created. So, I'm a little confused about that process, but in any case neither option fixed the problem about the renaming rules.

One thing that might be relevant… my data file is quite large (almost 297.5 MB). Any other ideas?

Thanks, Ken

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the data file name? Does it contain spaces or other special characters? A trailing space at the end of the file name can be especially problematic.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

The datafile name is "Camargo Rd Finances.Qdf". So, no special characters, but spaces between words. No trailing space…. I did get errors when I ran validate/supervalidate. Would seeing the logs tell you anything?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take out the spaces in the file name. They cause Q all sorts of issues.

Can you rename the file to, say, "CamargoRd? You can do that in Win File Explorer …. and then double clicking on it to open the renamed file and have Q remember it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

Just the QDF file? Simply rename it? Quicken used to have several datafiles…

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

I renamed the QDF to "CamargoRDFinances" — no spaces. Tested Renaming Rules…. Still not saving them. Any other things I can try? What about those logs? The indicated Data errors.. Ken

• UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The current versions of Quicken only have one data file: .QDF

You are correct in that Quicken used to have multiple datafiles, but they were merged in one datafile a number of years ago (I don't remember when).

Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • mshiggins
    Options

Sure, what’s in the validation log?

Also, are you syncing to the Quicken cloud?

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

See the attached Validation Log…. I am syncing to Quicken Cloud.

• mshiggins
    Options

I recommend you temporarily disable syncing to the cloud and see if that stops the renaming rules from disappearing.

• KenMahler-Cincy
    Options

I misspoke earlier… I am NOT syncing to the Q cloud. What can I try next?

• mshiggins
    Options

I've not experienced nor do I recall reading of any problem such as yours in Quicken for Windows. I assume you had no problem with Renaming Rules being saved when you were running in Parallels.

After looking at your validate log, I'd say your Quicken data file is hosed. Validate can't fix all corruption.

[It may be too late now, but a long-shot would be to do a Validate of the original file on the Mac - before bringing the file over to the PC.]

If you can't do a Validate on the Mac; then I suggest you create a New (test) Quicken file on your PC, setup/activate an online account in that test file; then try saving Renaming Rules in the test file. If renaming rules get saved in the test file, that's one more reason to believe your Quicken data file is corrupted and that corruption is causing your problem.

You might need to create a New Quicken file and start over.

One possible way to reduce the effort needed to get a New file up-to-date would be to try exporting/importing a Quicken Transfer File (a QXF file) from the corrupted Quicken file to a New Quicken file.  I can't say whether some/all of the corruption would be eliminated by that process, but you can test that yourself.  Print informative reports from your existing file, and compare them to the same reports in the New file.

-JP