Spending Tab

Options
Johniluck
Johniluck Member ✭✭
edited April 12 in Reports (Windows)

Windows 11; Quicken version R40.28b

How do I remove a category from the Spending Tab?

The problem: I have the line a credit category . When I transfer money from my Chequing account to (or / from) the line of credit account it shows up in the spending Spending Tab.

This is not correct as the money has not been spent only moved from one account to another.

I know how to correct in the report section but then the reports never match the spending tab.

How do I fix this ?

Best Answers

• Johniluck
    Johniluck Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes! You have got it!! Last night I did set up another bank account in the banking section and it did not post to the spending tab. However the format and columns aren't really right for the line of credit. This is why I was using the loan section. However I now set up and credit card and it is the right format and doesn't post to spending.

Thank you so much!!!

This is the first time I have tried getting through the Quicken's community. If you don't mind me asking Who are you? Do you work our Quicken? or just an avid user.

I have been using Quickens since 1997

John

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10 Answer ✓
    Options

I'm glad to hear you figured it out.

It turns out that transfers to and from Property and Debt accounts are included on the Spending tab but other transfers are not.

The only people here who work for Quicken are the Moderators and an occasional developer or product manager. Their user names all start with "Quicken".

The rest of us are users, including the "Superusers", who like to share out knowledge and have earned that exalted rank by answering lots of questions.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the transfer properly recorded as a linked transfer? The category should look like [Account].

BTW I think you put the Quicken version number is wrong. (there isn't any "b" in a version number, and 40.28 doesn't seem to exist in the old release notes, and if it did it would be about April 2022.)

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Johniluck
    Johniluck Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Chris you

Thank for your quick response! You are correct I inadvertently added a "b" that should not be there. My Version number is R40.28.

I am not aware of Linked accounts.

I have set up a "chequing account" in the "banking section" and I set up a "loan account" in the "asset and liability" section for the "line of credit" But when I transfer funds they show up on the spending tab so this is obviously wrong. Can you tell me what I should be doing to correct this.

Thank

John

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

By linked transfer I meant what Quicken just calls a transfer. It is "linked" in the sense that you enter one transaction, and it appears in two accounts (with the amount have opposite signs).

This is a (linked) transfer from my credit card account to my checking account:

Notice how the category is my checking account name "CPC Checking XX-0670", in square brackets. This is the syntax for a transfer. And the spending tab should be ignoring these transfers just like you expect. But if the category isn't an […] then it is going to show up.

Maybe if you could include a screenshot of the problem that would clear up what is going on. To attach a screenshot just drag the image into the comment box.

Signature:
  • Johniluck
    Johniluck Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Thanks for trying help! I am not having a lot of luck. I checked and my transfer accounts due have the square brackets on them. But still showing up on the spending tab. My chequeing account is in the Banking section while my line of credit account is in the Property & Debt section. Is that a problem?

I tried to test transactions. One posting from the Chequeing account transferring to the Line of Credit and one posting from Line of Credit transferring to the Chequeing account. In both cases they have the square brackets in the category section . In both cases they showed up on the spending tab.

I tried to do screen shot but could make work in Quickens

• Johniluck
    Johniluck Member ✭✭
    Options

The error message when i try to sent screen shot is "The Body is 4 characters too short".

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 10
    Options

@Johniluck I think I know why you are having this issue. Not all account types show up automatically in the Spending tab. Also a line of credit account should be set up as a credit card on Quicken not a loan. I think there is an easy remedy for your issue. Go into the "Display Options" of Account Details and change the intent to "Spending".

If you are not allowed to change it then there is another way to get around your issue. Click on "All Accounts" in the spending tab and change it to "Custom" and then select to add the Line of Credit account. The problem with this fix is that it's not permanent. You would need to do this each time you view the report.

The third option, which I think is the best is to set up another line of credit account as a credit card and then move your transactions from the old account and then just delete the old account.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The error message when i try to sent screen shot is "The Body is 4 characters too short".

You need to have some text (4 characters of text) along with the screenshot.

• Johniluck
    Johniluck Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes! You have got it!! Last night I did set up another bank account in the banking section and it did not post to the spending tab. However the format and columns aren't really right for the line of credit. This is why I was using the loan section. However I now set up and credit card and it is the right format and doesn't post to spending.

Thank you so much!!!

This is the first time I have tried getting through the Quicken's community. If you don't mind me asking Who are you? Do you work our Quicken? or just an avid user.

I have been using Quickens since 1997

John

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10 Answer ✓
    Options

I'm glad to hear you figured it out.

It turns out that transfers to and from Property and Debt accounts are included on the Spending tab but other transfers are not.

The only people here who work for Quicken are the Moderators and an occasional developer or product manager. Their user names all start with "Quicken".

The rest of us are users, including the "Superusers", who like to share out knowledge and have earned that exalted rank by answering lots of questions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sure the including of loan transfers is a compromise for the people that view a transfer to loan as an expense. The same kind of thing comes up in the budget discussions from time to time.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Johniluck - I am just another user, and no I don't work for Quicken. I guess I am just good at deciphering things.

This discussion has been closed.