Quicken 2017 won't re-install on my computer

Options

I had Quicken 2017 on my computer. It stopped working. I attempted to reinstall the program but it wouldn't reinstall. I had to purchase the new program. Now that the year is up, I'm getting the annoying renewal notices. I ordered the program through Best Buy online. Once I get it, I hope to active the program again. I don't want to go through this again next year. How do I install Quicken 2017 on my Windows 10 computer and make it work? Will the Quicken file from the new version work in Quicken 2017? I've been a Quicken user for 30 years. I don't want to leave, but these banner ads about renewing are encouraging me to go.

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The bottom line is Quicken 2017 reinstallations and new installations will not function because the registration process has changed however; read the comments by Boatnmaniac in this link which offers a "workaround" that has worked for some and not others.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 11
    Options

@Daniel Schwartz I have several concerns regarding your post. But bottom line since you already have had a current subscription, I don't think it's possible for you to go back and install Quicken 2017.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The data files for QW2016, QW2017 and subscription Quicken (2018+) are compatible and can be opened by all three of the listed versions.

See this write-up by Chris_QPW on moving QW2017 to a different computer:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@splasher yes the files are compatible, but the issue is being able to install Quicken 2017. Since the OP had upgraded to a current subscription, the "hack" or workaround isn't going to work.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 11
    Options

[Deleted by QuickUserPSP - duplicate post]

• Daniel Schwartz
    Daniel Schwartz Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I figured that was going to be the case. When Windows did an update last year, something messed up Quicken. The file wouldn't open. I thought an uninstall, reinstall of Quicken 2017 would fix the issue. It works with other programs. It didn't with Quicken. I bought the upgrade version to access my files. I needed to pay bills not fight with a computer. One year later and the renewal notices have taken over the side and top. The top isn't that annoying. It is the side one that bothers me. I may need to consider a different program next year.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Getting Q2017 to work is mostly dependent on having the ini file from a working install, but there has been at least one case of manually editing a new ini file working. You have nothing to lose by trying the “hack”.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One should try it for themselves, but I'm with @QuickUserPSP on this, it most likely will not work in this case for the reason he stated.

I'm one of those people that got caught with no Quicken 2017 Quicken.ini file and the hack didn't work for. And I do believe it is because my Quicken Id was already switched to Quicken Subscription. People tend to forget that when you switch over things are changed on your machine and on the server.

In my case, I was only installing the older versions of Quicken in virtual machines to test problems people posted on here, so it wasn't much of a loss to me. If I was going to "Drop Quicken Subscription" but still keep Quicken, I would go the route of going back to Quicken 2013, which is the last version that is truly "offline". That is a lot more work, but to me at this point it makes no sense to go with Quicken 2014 to 2017, you are just asking for a future problem. This is the procedure I would use to go back to Quicken 2013:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One should try it for themselves, but I'm with @QuickUserPSP on this, it most likely will not work in this case for the reason he stated.

I'm one of those people that got caught with no Quicken 2017 Quicken.ini file and the hack didn't work for. And I do believe it is because my Quicken Id was already switched to Quicken Subscription. People tend to forget that when you switch over things are changed on your machine and on the server.

In my case, I was only installing the older versions of Quicken in virtual machines to test problems people posted on here, so it wasn't much of a loss to me. If I was going to "Drop Quicken Subscription" but still keep Quicken, I would go the route of going back to Quicken 2013, which is the last version that is truly "offline". That is a lot more work, but to me at this point it makes no sense to go with Quicken 2014 to 2017, you are just asking for a future problem. This is the procedure I would use to go back to Quicken 2013:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.