Maturing Quicken user - Separate a subset of registers.

Options
fggates
fggates Windows Beta Beta
edited March 12 in Product Enhancements

I have been tracking my family finances in Quicken for 26 years. It's a big file. Now, my daughter is about to graduate from college and set off on her own as a new Quicken user. Until now her various accounts have been tracked within the family QDF but soon it will be more appropriate for her to track her own stuff independently.

I would like to be able to easily create a new all-time QDF with just her accounts. Some sort of tool or behavior where I can choose the N (of M) registers which are hers and create a new PDF complete with all the transactions in and between those N registers intact, including lot identification in the investment registers and the various categories, tags, notes etc in all registers.

I know some transfers in/out to registers (M-N) left behind in my family QDF will need special handling, but I would be happy to substitute one side of an inter-register transfer with something as simple as a new category of 'Parents'.

Ultimately, the goal is to handover a QDF with all her records and none/few of mine so she can be an independent Quicken user for the rest of her or Quicken's existence.

I have tried taking a copy of my QDF and brutalizing it by deleting registers, renaming transfers, etc but it gets very laborious. It seems a built-in easy method would have value to many users, and for the many snapshots taken before the final split.

There must be many similar QDF divide needs (divorces, transfer to trusts, maturing kids) and also some QDF merge needs too (Marriage, inheritances).

I have no idea if this makes sense to the internal record keeping, but supporting cut/paste/copy of registers between two open instances of Quicken would work too.

Thank you.

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Copy the current file, and then start deleting what you don't need in the new file.

Laborious is, unfortunately, the only option.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• fggates
    fggates Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I realize that is the only option at present. I posted this in Product Enhancements in the hope that someone at Quicken might pick it up and add it to Quicken's own wished-for feature list. Arrival in 2025, 2026, later, is better than not at all.

If every suggestion is dismissed as 'nope, can't be done' or is not read by Quicken's own Product Management people then this sub-forum has no value whatsoever.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then you need to post this as an IDEA, so that other users can vote on it.

If it gets sufficient attention, the developers MIGHT take an interest.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This thread has been changed to an Idea people can vote on (most likely got changed by a moderator).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think if this idea was stated a bit differently like this, other one for a Quicken Mac, and then expanded for being able to select which accounts that would be something more people would vote on.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/