Elan Financial Services - CC-502 (QWin) [Edited]

Options

Comments

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Thanks for the tip on the alternative cloud connection recovery method. I am not using mobile data but understand that the cloud is still used to save meta-like data. I'm not sure I fully understand what you meant by signing in as different users. Did you eventually sign in as your regular user to download your accounts transactions? Did you have to use 3 different users before the connection was reestablished?

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, every data file from QWin 2014 to present has a Cloud Account regardless of subscription status and whether or not one uses Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web. When using Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web this Cloud Account includes a lot of the financial data of the accounts that are set up in Quicken. Mobile Sync is what enables Quicken to be able to use Mobile/Web. But when Sync is turned off the Cloud Account is still used and needed by Quicken to confirm the status of the subscription, the edition and version of Quicken that we using and other rather benign non-transactions related data. Ever wonder how Quicken can know to message you regarding an issue or change regarding one of your FIs before you even run OSU? Thank the Cloud Account. Also, the Cloud Account is where our EWC logins information is saved because Intuit needs them in order to download data from the financial institutions at night when most of us are asleep.

In general, Sync should be turned off unless one uses Mobile and/or Web. If Sync is turned on when Mobile/Web are not set up and being used, then a lot of your financial data will be uploaded to the Cloud Account when it does not need to be. And it introduces just one more set of variables that can sometimes cause issues in Quicken.

Getting back to the signing in as a different user: Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out. When prompted, sign in, again, using your current Quicken ID and PW. Assuming the connection issue is intermittent or just a fluke, the connection will get reestablished. But if it is an intermittent problem it might take a few attempts to sign back in.

There 2 other ways to fix Cloud Account and connection issues that I know of but I do not use them very often because they are more "disruptive" than Sign in as a different user. In both processes Sync first needs to be turned on temporarily but can be turned back off once the process is completed.

The first method is to Reset your cloud data which will refresh the data in your Cloud Account and can reset the connection..

The second method is to Delete the Cloud Account which will delete the Cloud Account entirely and Quicken will then recreate it from scratch. Typically, all EWC and EWC+ account connections will need to be set up again after completing this process.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Dont check 6 months of statements. Go to the very very first transaction ever made in the affected account. That is the one that is usually off.

• tfhoughton
    tfhoughton Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Good pointer….but no luck…the 'missing' tranasaction is nowhere in the affected account. But I did add the 'missing' (i.e., the correction) transaction amount as the first transaction and it addressed the issue. Thanks!

• schuesslerrm
    schuesslerrm Member ✭✭
    Options

I too have the cents rounding issue with the downloaded balance. As others have stated, this has been a typical issue for one day after connectivity problems are restored, but this time it lingers.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Just curious and trying to understand. Would this cloud out of sync condition eventually work itself out without doing anything? Say, like in a week?

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Good question. When I experience a Quicken performance issue of some sort initially I usually do only a very limited amount of troubleshooting because I know that many issues will self-resolve within 12-24 hrs and I know that less can go wrong if it self-resolves than when I try to fix it myself. I also usually will not post anything about issues I experience until after 24-48 hrs have passed because most issues will resolve within that time window without needing to raise red flags.

I generally follow this same practice when something "breaks" with the Cloud Account and have found that sometimes the issue self-resolves and other times it does not. I think much of that is determined by whether the cause of the issue is something on Quicken's or Intuit's servers or if it is something caused by my installation or data file or something external to all of these things like my Internet provider. At best, generally I can only speculate as to what the cause of the issue is but sometimes a Quicken Team communication will provide some great insight regarding it.

My guess (speculation) is that the current Internet connection/Cloud Account issue is a Quicken server issue because it is affecting other users, it is intermittent and the fix sometimes works, sometimes does not and sometimes recurs. The pattern and symptoms are very similar to what has been happening off and on since the day after Christmas and which the CEO eventually communicated was caused by issues with Quicken's servers. If it is the same kind of issue this time, then Sign In As A Different User is nothing more than a band-aid because until the server issue(s) is resolved the connection issue will occur again.

• whodiini
    Options

As of Mar 21, cents rounding issue remains.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

The cents rounding down issue is not resolved for me today, as well. Very unusual that it drags out this long.

I deactivated and then reactivated my Elan account, again, just now. The cents rounding down issue was not resolved. Will check, again, tomorrow to see it still remains an issue or is resolved.

BTW, deactivating/reactivating the Elan account did change the Opening Balance by the exact cents amount of the dropped cents in the Online Balance. Definitely odd.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 22
    Options

Deactivating/reactivating the Elan connection yesterday did not resolve the dropped cents in the Online Balance during OSU this morning.

But I found a solution that resolved the issue for me: In a test file I had previously set up this Fidelity Rewards CC with the new EWC+ connection method a couple of months ago. It has been working very well during OSU with reliable connections and accurate downloads….and the Online Balance includes the cents. So, in my main data file I changed my connection from EWC with Elan to EWC+ with Fidelity. The Online Balance is now correct and I was able to Reconcile to the Online Balance without issue.

Some comments/suggestions for those who wish to do the same:

1. Enter the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. (This is just a proactive step that can be helpful if/when setting up of the new connection changes the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount.)
    2. Backup the data file.
    3. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > delete all Financial Institution Information (everything above the Contact Name field) > OK.
    4. Add Account > type in and select Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts > Next. The EWC+ authorization process will start…follow the prompts.
    5. After logging into your online Fidelity.com account during this EWC+ Authorization process you should be presented with a list of all accounts that you can set up with this EWC+ connection. Select all of the accounts that you want to be connected via EWC+. DO NOT select any accounts you want to retain with the DC connection method (i.e., any investment accounts that you already have set up with DC). In my case, I selected only the Fidelity Rewards CC account because I have all my investment accounts already set up with DC and want to make sure they stay with DC.
    6. Agree to the terms and conditions and you should be logged out of Fidelity and returned to Quicken. (If you are not automatically returned to Quicken, you can manually switch back to Quicken.)
    7. Quicken will prompt you what to do with the downloaded data. Make sure you Link it to the account you already have set up in Quicken.

In my case, the Online Balance was not changed, there were no duplicate transactions downloaded, there were no missing transactions and the account register balance was correct. I was then able to Reconcile to the Online Balance without any issue.

If anyone else tries doing this, please post your results here so others might know.

• km-nm
    km-nm Member ✭✭
    Options

On Quicken 7.6.1 for Mac, as of 3/22, I'm still getting the cents truncation problem. I didn't see a way to reset the connection type to EWC+ on the Mac version.

• whodiini
    Options

@Boatnmaniac it works!

I think the reason it works is that the connection is to Fidelity and not to Elan Financial. The connection to Fidelity doesnt have the cents issue, whereas the connection to Elan has the cents issue. I do not know if the info on Fidelity is as current as the info on Elan, as Elan is the card processing entity and the info is then passed to Fidelity. Whatever the situation is, connecting thru Fidelity avoids the cents issue. Thanks for the useful info!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

This is a QWin thread so my prior post laid out a process specific for QWin users.

I am not real familiar with QMac but the process should be roughly similar for QMac users, just that some of the terminology and steps might be a bit different.

One thing you posted makes me think you might have misunderstood my post. There is no way to change an Elan connection from EWC to EWC+ (both of which are referred to as Quicken Connect in QMac…I know, confusing, huh?). You need to first disconnect your Elan account entirely…you might need to remove all Elan financial institution and account number reference from the account, as well. Then you need to add a new account connection with Fidelity (I think in QMac it is also listed as Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts but I am not 100% sure of that). When you add the account and when prompted be sure to link the download to your existing Elan account in Quicken. If I have mispoken about the process/details for QMac, then perhaps another QMac user will step in with the correct process.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thanks for posting this. You can see your Fidelity Rewards Visa account in your online Fidelity.com account so you can always compare what is shown there to what is shown in your online Elan account. As you mentioned, Fidelity pulls the data directly from Elan. I have been running both the Fidelity EWC+ and Elan EWC connection setups in parallel on a daily basis in a test file for the last 2 months or so and they are usually in sync with each other and when they are not it is the Elan connection, not the Fidelity connection, which has been the problem.

I had resisted making this connection change from Elan to Fidelity earlier because Elan had a long history of reliability and accuracy. But starting in Sep the Elan connection reliability decreased with several instances of connection issues since then. The last 5 months have been particularly discouraging so after 2 months of successful testing I decided it was time to make this change now. Keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right decision and that this new Fidelity EWC+ connection will not go down the same ugly connection reliability path as the now defunct EWC connection of the Fidelity Rewards Credit Card financial institution.

• schuesslerrm
    schuesslerrm Member ✭✭
    Options

I had been using Fidelity Investments but — which does not show the Rewards Visa accounts. It seems that Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts is different connection with same credentials and includes all the other accounts. Is there a reason to continue Fidelity Investments for anything?

• km-nm
    km-nm Member ✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac, you were right about needing to select the right connection. [Note that this is for a Mac, not Windows.] I had assumed I had to use "Fidelity Investments Mac" which I already had configured for Direct Connect. When I instead used "Fidelity-Investments & Retirement", it used the Quicken Connect method and that offered me the choice to select sharing my Visa card. Now the balance is correct.

The steps I used were:
    1) Select my Elan Visa account in the bar on the left of the main window.
    2) Right Click and choose "Account Settings…"
    3) Click on the "Change Connections" button.
    4) Select "Fidelity-Investments & Retirement"
    5) On the screen that says "Quicken Classic uses Intuit to connect", click Continue.
    6) On the "How should Quicken connect?" dialog, "Quicken Connect" is the only choice, so click Continue.
    7) On the "Authorize your Fidelity-Investments & Retirement account" screen, click "Sign In".
    8) In your web browser, Log into your Fidelity account where you can see your Visa balance.
    9) Click the 2 check boxes to sign away your rights and click "I Agree".
    10) Select the "Visa Signature Rewar…" line (and any other accounts that you might want) and click "Approve".
    11) Back in Quicken for Mac, confirm that your Elan Visa account from Fidelity has an Action of "Link to: <Your Quicken Name for your Card>", and click Continue.

That's it! Your balance should now be correct.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Fidelity Investments is the historical and traditional connection method which supports Direct Connect for investment accounts only. DC is the fastest and most reliable of the connection methods. Also, your financial and login data is saved only on your computer, not on the Quicken/Intuit servers.

Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts is a new connection method as of Dec 2023. It supports Express Web Connect+ only for both investment accounts and the credit card. EWC+ is much slower than DC and is perhaps a little less reliable. Also, your financial data is saved on both your computer and on the Quicken/Intuit servers and your login info is saved only on the Quicken/Intuit servers.

It is a personal choice as to whether or not to download everything via Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts or to continue downloading investments from Fidelity Investments and to start downloading only the credit card from Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts.

But my recommendation is to continue using Fidelity Investments for investment accounts for as long as this connection remains available (I had heard it is no longer available for QMac) and only use Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts for the credit card. My rationale is twofold: One is that the DC connection is far superior to EWC+ and, two, when I tried setting up my investment accounts with Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts in a test file the downloaded transactions were so jumble that I had a very difficult time making head-or-tails of them and ultimately gave up trying to reconcile the accounts. That was 2 months ago so maybe the situation has improved but at that time it appeared to me that Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts is perhaps best suited for Simple Investing and not so much for Complete Investing.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thank you for confirming a posting the QMac process here. Hopefully other QMac users will find it to be of help.

• dr_data
    dr_data Member ✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac:

"In my case, the Online Balance was not changed, there were no duplicate
    transactions downloaded, there were no missing transactions and the
    account register balance was correct. I was then able to Reconcile to
    the Online Balance without any issue."

Same for me. Thank you for your detailed instructions.

• peterstaley
    peterstaley Member
    Options

Still have truncated balance issue, so I can't complete reconciliation.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Yes, the Elan Financial EWC connection still returns an Online Balance that does not include the cents.

Did you try deactivating your Elan EWC connection and then setting up a new EWC+ connection via Fidelity - Investments & Retirement? (See my step-by-step post above dated 3/22 for how to do this.) So far, everyone who has made this change has said that the dropped cents issue is resolved.

• JLP1976
    JLP1976 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    Options

@Boatnmaniac I just ran your procedure (22Mar) above to deactivate my Fidelity Rewards Visa (Elan) and re-connect with Fidelity, and I got some odd results. The Online Services now show Fidelity - Investments & Retirement with EWC+ connection. However, after linking to my existing account, the process changed my opening balance from 0 to $217.83 and the online balance is $217.83 less than my actual current balance. Also, the $217.83 amount is the total of my last four transactions.

• JLP1976
    JLP1976 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    Options

@Boatnmaniac I marked my last four transactions as uncleared and ran the process again. This time the opening balance stayed at $0. The online balance is my online balance from 20Mar. This connection is not picking up the four transactions that posted on 22Mar.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

When changing the connection for an account sometimes the Opening Balance transaction will get changed. That I why I'd suggested entering and saving the correct dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction into the Memo field before proceeding with making the connection change. Glad to hear that you were able to figure out what happened. FYI: For future reference you could have simply entered the correct Opening Balance amount without needing to repeat the process.

I noticed this morning that 2 transactions that posted on 3/22 did not download from Fidelity, as well, although there was no error code/message received. But in test data file I got an error message that Fidelity's server was down so maybe that is the reason for this. Also, in that test file, the Elan connection did download those 2 transactions but the Online Balance still had no cents. I'll try running OSU, again, later in both files to see what happens. Since it is a weekend there is no telling when the Fidelity server will be up, again. Sometimes it's just a short maintenance downtime but other times it could be down for the entire weekend. Might need to wait until Monday to know what the scoop is. However, I've been downloading this card from Fidelity for about 2 months now in that test file and it's been very reliable up until now. It's just today that I am seeing this. I suspect/hope that it is simply a server maintenance thing and later this weekend or no later than Monday morning everything will be downloaded properly.

• tfhoughton
    tfhoughton Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I removed the 'old' Elan-based account.

I tried the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement approach. Good news: The cents reported in the total. However, numerous transactions were missing. A reconcile with the most recent statement did not address the issue.

I re-added the Fidelity Visa account using the Elan link. The online total had 0 cents. I reconciled using the most recent statement and the 20 cents (the correct cents in the total) was found and I added it as a 'correction'. Performed One Step Update and the cents are still there as expected. Will try this for a few days.

Given the numerous ways to get access to the Fidelity Elan Visa, what is the recommended way from Fidelity and Elan?

I am very glad that our Fidelity investment accounts are not this complicated. I hope I didn't just jinx it by saying that! :-)

• dwl1960
    dwl1960 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had missing transactions this morning from the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement approach this morning as well. I went back to Elan to download the missing transactions. I will just deal with the missing cents until it gets resolved… someday. Sigh 😔

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I am beginning to think that maybe the missing transactions from Fidelity this morning might not be a Fidelity download issue but rather an EWC+ download issue. After earlier posting that Fidelity did not download 2 newly posted transactions this morning (posted transactions that were visible in my online Fidelity and Elan accounts), I ran OSU in another file and 3 other EWC+ accounts from 3 other FIs also did not download new transactions.

It reminded me of a similar issue in Feb with EWC+ transactions from several different accounts/FIs not downloading at various times during the month. I ended up manually entering those missing transactions. Over the last 2 weeks those transactions that did not download in Feb have finally begun to download (not all at once, just 1-2 at a time) and automatically matched up with the manually entered transactions I entered last month. Now why would posted transactions be first downloading about 1 month after when they posted online?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 25
    Options

Update (3/24): I just ran OSU for this credit card on both Elan and Fidelity.

• The 2 transactions that did not download via Fidelity yesterday, did download today.
    • Both the Fidelity and Elan accounts show the same register balance which matches what is shown in the online accounts..
    • Fidelity's Online Balance is correct as of today.
    • Elan's Online Balance is the same as Fidelity's but with the cents dropped. So it is still a problem.

Update (3/25): OSU results for both Elan and Fidelity.

• Fidelity still shows the correct Online Balance with cents included. There are no posted transactions that have not been downloaded.
    • Elan still shows the correct Online Balance but with the cents dropped…so still an issue. There are no posted transactions that have not been downloaded.
    • Fidelity and Elan show identical Account Register balances.

• Cerberus
    Cerberus Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been unable to use Quicken's update feature with my Fidelity CC since last October. This issue has never been solved and keeps coming up in different threads.
    ONGOING 9/16/23 Fidelity Rewards Credit Card - FDP-102/CC-502

This discussion has been closed.