Issue: Financial institution connection needs reauthorization on CLOSED account.

Options
EFW
EFW Member ✭✭✭

Quicken Desktop: Windows 11 Enterprise, Version R55.15, Build 27.1.55.15

Process: One Step Update (OSU)

Error Message: "The following attempted to reauthorize your connection but were unable to complete the process. Click "Learn More" for details." Options: "Reauthorize or " Remind Me Later"

Issue: I am being asked to reauthorize my connection on a CLOSED American Express account during OSU. The account has been in closed status within Quicken for a few years. To verify, I selected the closed account, Selected Edit Account Details, Selected Online Services and the status shows "This Account is Closed". This started happening within the past 2 weeks. OSU worked fine at the end of Feb 2024.

I believe reauthorizing a connection to a bank on an account that is in closed status is a system/process issue.

Is there a fix for this?

Best Answer

• EFW
    EFW Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

thanks for the information.
    I moved the transactions from the closed account to a new Amex account that I will soon close. I deleted the old Amex account and verified transfer transactions into and out of new AMEX account. There was only one account (checking) with transfers into Amex. The transfer transactions from 2014 in checking had to be reset to Reconciled. All is OK.

Issue resolved.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @EFW,

Quicken shouldn't be prompting you to reauthorize a closed account since closed accounts should not be connected to the financial institution. The fact that you're getting that prompt makes me think you're seeing a file-specific issue. To troubleshoot this, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

If the issue persists after the Validate/Super Validate, please try restoring a backup from before the issue started and test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• EFW
    EFW Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

thanks for the information.
    I moved the transactions from the closed account to a new Amex account that I will soon close. I deleted the old Amex account and verified transfer transactions into and out of new AMEX account. There was only one account (checking) with transfers into Amex. The transfer transactions from 2014 in checking had to be reset to Reconciled. All is OK.

Issue resolved.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue by moving the account information to a new account and deleting the problem account.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• daudelo1
    daudelo1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Windows 11 Home; Version 23H2; OS Build 22631.3296

Quicken Version R55.15; Build 27.1.55.15

I'm having the same issue with two Chase credit card accounts closed FEB-2014 and NOV-2019. The issue started within the past two weeks. I Validated and Super Validated and issue persists. Restored a backup from 02-FEB-2024 and have the same issue.

From my perspective, this seems to be an issue with this latest build.

• tomnash
    tomnash Member
    Options

Quicken for Windows Version R55.26; Build 27.1.55.26

Bank of America credit card account which I closed years ago asks for re-authorization after a recent update. Waited to report with the hope an update will remove this reminder. Since it has not happened yet…..

In the Quicken "Tools/Account List", the "Transaction Download" column, Bank of America is shown with "Yes (Direct Connect)". That presents the following suggestions to be addressed:

• when closing an account in Quicken, the direct connect should also be removed
    • ….and/or after an account is closed, a method is added that allows removing direct connect (i.e. in
    • the Password Vault should list all accounts that have Direct Connect setup (it is not showing Bank of America)
    • when an account is flagged for 're-authorization', present an option for removing the account from the update process

Deleting the account is not an acceptable option.

• EFW
    EFW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Options

I agree. Deleting an account is unacceptable. This should have been done by Quicken during the account CLOSE process.

Moving Forward:

I believe Quicken could develop a utility to run, at user request or through Validate or super Validate processes, to remove all financial links including Direct Connect to a CLOSED account. It makes no sense to have any links once the account is closed and cannot be reopened.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please review this discussion and follow one of the two suggestions I made:

To see the entire discussion click on the Date stamp in the box above.

• EFW
    EFW Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My CLOSED account was AMEX. I used the later process described above and cleaned up the error.

Hopefully, Quicken’s Account Close process in the latest release will remove any financial links to banks and Credit Unions when the account is being closed. At a minimum or temporary fix the close process will inform the user to remove the links before typing YES to close.