How do I enter FIDELITY FREEDOM BLEND 2040 CMGLD POOL T into Quicken

Options
Ben12
Ben12 Member ✭✭✭
edited April 28 in Investing (Windows)

My 401K exchanged my existing funds to FIDELITY FREEDOM BLEND 2040 CMGLD POOL T with ISIN US30257R4535. I cannot figure out how to enter this investment into Quicken. I cannot find a ticker.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the symbol FHARX correct here? There is a fund called "Fidelity Freedom Blend 2040" with that symbol.

"My 401K exchanged my existing funds…"

Are you saying that you had various stand alone (mutual?) funds and ALL of them were disposed of to be replaced the Freedom Blend fund, or was there only one fund in your 401(k) and that single fund was exchanged for the Freedom Blend fund?

• Ben12
    Ben12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Only one fund. FID FREEDOM 2040 K, FSNVX. was exchanged for FIDELITY FREEDOM BLEND 2040 CMGLD POOL T with ISIN US30257R4535. And no FHARX has a different value/share.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First, I'd say that the fund you now own in your 401(k) doesn't have a ticker symbol as it's a "fund of funds" creation where a mutual fund company provides a portfolio of their stand-alone funds wrapped up in a single package:

https://institutional.fidelity.com/app/literature/fact-sheet/963555/fidelity-freedom-blend-commingled-pools.html#!

If this was a tax-free exchange, which I'm assuming it was, then either the "Mutual Fund Conversion" action or the "Corporate acquisition (stock for stock) action should be able to handle this. The Mutual Fund Conversion action has had and still has as far as I know a bug whereby if the costing method of the original fund uses Average Cost you end up getting bad results. Others have said that changing the costing method for the original fund from Average Cost to some other method, e.g., FIFO or something, avoids that problem, but I don't know if that's correct or not. The Corporate acquisition action doesn't have that but but if you own that original fund in other Accounts in your file then the conversion works across all those Accounts.

Be sure to make a backup before trying either method.

• Ben12
    Ben12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I thought that may be the case. I do have ISIN US30257R4535 for this commingled blend. Any idea on how to use this?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a 401(k) so any investment changes are not taxed.

I suspect the new fund is a special 401(k) fund and not publicly traded, thus it does not have a ticker and Quicken's quote provider will not have prices for it.

You should get share price updates when you download transactions, but not by updating quotes.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ISIN is, apparently, the global version of the US CUSIP. US securities will tend to have both … but ISIN isn't really needed in the US. And I'm not aware of any way to use it in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ben12
    Ben12 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you this is the right answer. Price did update this morning when I downloaded

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Ben12 - as @Jim_Harman mentioned, the prices for the fund are updated from the update file from your 401(k) provider and not Quicken's pricing vendor. This means there will probably be a day delay in pricing from the update file. This also means that if you miss a day, you will miss updating that date's price. Transactions will catch up if you miss a day or only update once in a while, but prices from the update file will not.

This discussion has been closed.