How to track milage for Medical appointments in Quicken Classic Premier

Options

I would like to know how I can track auto milage in Quicken Classic Premier. I donot have the business version.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That feature is only available in the Personal & Business edition. I suggest keeping a spreadsheet for that information since you would have the freedom to track as much other information about that mileage as you desired.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also note that only the portion of your unreimbursed medical expenses (including mileage at $0.22 per mile) that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income is deductible, and the standard deduction is much greater than it was a few years ago.

Thus most taxpayers are better off taking the standard deduction rather than itemizing.

See IRS Pub 502

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 29
    Options

It's true that you have to have a fair amount of medical expenses before you can start deducting them & most people aren't going to hit that threshold. But if you've already reached the point where you're itemizing & deducting Medical expenses you might as well add in transportation. Personally I don't bother most of the time because I generally do other errands as long as I'm going out, so separating out medical mileage is difficult for me. The only transportation costs I included last year were a couple Lyft rides to/from an endoscopy center; I expect I won't have any this year.

I agree a spreadsheet is probably best for this but if you really want to track it in Quicken you could create an account & enter a transaction for each trip; calculate the deduction & enter that as the amount and put the mileage in the Memo field. Mark the account as Separate so it doesn't get mixed in with your personal finances.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

F.y.i., there's an Idea posted in the Community,

which has been accepted by Development for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released, however.

So, there's a chance that we will see the Mileage Tracker made available in lower Quicken for Windows feature levels in the future. And, hopefully, it will also be made available for Quicken for Mac at some point in time, as well as the Web and smartphone apps.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@UKR For what it's worth, the Idea thread you linked, which is marked as "Planned" by the developers, is a Quicken Mac thread/ I don't know if there is a similar request on the Windows side. It seems logical to think this will come about more or less in parallel on both platforms, but as we know, it doesn't always work that way! 🤣

Quicken Mac currently has a truly 1.0 (maybe 0.5) version of mileage tracking in the recently-released Business & Personal subscription tier. It's very limited, in that data can be entered, but cannot yet be printed or exported — so I don't know who would use it until more functionality is delivered. There is an ability to enter both business and personal trips, and the program automatically uses the correct rate for business, medical and charity trips; it correctly handles the change in the IRS rate mid-year last year. But rates are not editable, so if someone needs it for business use where they are billing a client at a rate other than the IRS rate, it can't be adapted for that yet. Currently, it can only be accessed from the business dashboard, even if a user wants to enter personal trips. It seems clear development for this feature is ongoing, and it will likely be more complete later this year. Whether that will coincide with releasing it for Premier and/or Deluxe users, we can only wait and see.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993