Can I edit an account number? How?

Options
jah47Ed
jah47Ed Member ✭✭

Circumstances required that I get three new account numbers from my credit union. Two savings accounts and one checking account. During set-up of these new accounts in Quicken Premier I've managed to link the Checking account/register to the Savings account number at the CU. Check register goes back to late 2013, so I do not want to delete it. (The other savings account has the correct credit union account number tied to it.) Can you edit an account number? I don't see how. Seems, Quicken did not make that provision. It seems if there are problems, delete the account and try to start over. Like I said above, I do not want to delete an account with historical transactions. Related: How do you edit an account nickname? I've made a back-up file, now residing on a USB Flash Drive. My e-mail: [Removed - Personal Info]. (Running MS Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit.)

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jah47Ed - Do you have a backup file from not long before when you made the account changes in Quicken? If so, you should restore that backup file. Then start the process over, again, to change your old accounts to the new accounts.

1. Enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. Do this for each account with your CU. (This is not critical to the set up process but it can be very helpful should the process change the Opening Balance dollar amount which sometimes does happen. So, be proactive just in case.)
    2. Backup the file.
    3. Click on the Edit button in Account List for one of the CU accounts > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove all Financial Institution Information (everything above the Contact Name field) > OK. FYI: You can change the name of the account (also referred to as the "nickname" on the General tab at any time if you wish to.
    4. Repeat this process for each of your CU accounts.
    5. Add Account > select your CU > initiate the setup process > when prompted, be sure to carefully Link each account that has been downloaded to the correct account already in Quicken.
    6. Check the account balance for one of the accounts. If it is in balance, then you are done.
    7. If the account balance is not correct: Does the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount match what you earlier entered into the Memo field. If not, correct the dollar amount to match what you'd entered into the Memo field.
    8. Is the account balance now correct? If so, then you are done. If not, look for duplicate transactions within the last 90 days or so. If you find any duplicates, delete one of transactions and retain the other. Your account should now be in balance.
    9. Repeat steps 6-8 for each of your other CU accounts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sounds like you got them all connected and balanced out correctly, now. Am I right?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Have you tried simply disconnecting the account from downloads? Click on the account in the left sidebar, then click on Settings in the bottom menu bar or the Accounts menu. Click on the Do0wnload tab, and click Disconnect Account. That will sever the account information for downloading. Then you can go back through the process of adding a new account, and linking it to the correct account in Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't have a bottom Menu Bar, not in my version Quicken Premier. The only thing I can do with Accounts is whatever I find in Accounts List and the Edit Button. (Maybe Mac version is different??)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jah47Ed - Do you have a backup file from not long before when you made the account changes in Quicken? If so, you should restore that backup file. Then start the process over, again, to change your old accounts to the new accounts.

1. Enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. Do this for each account with your CU. (This is not critical to the set up process but it can be very helpful should the process change the Opening Balance dollar amount which sometimes does happen. So, be proactive just in case.)
    2. Backup the file.
    3. Click on the Edit button in Account List for one of the CU accounts > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove all Financial Institution Information (everything above the Contact Name field) > OK. FYI: You can change the name of the account (also referred to as the "nickname" on the General tab at any time if you wish to.
    4. Repeat this process for each of your CU accounts.
    5. Add Account > select your CU > initiate the setup process > when prompted, be sure to carefully Link each account that has been downloaded to the correct account already in Quicken.
    6. Check the account balance for one of the accounts. If it is in balance, then you are done.
    7. If the account balance is not correct: Does the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount match what you earlier entered into the Memo field. If not, correct the dollar amount to match what you'd entered into the Memo field.
    8. Is the account balance now correct? If so, then you are done. If not, look for duplicate transactions within the last 90 days or so. If you find any duplicates, delete one of transactions and retain the other. Your account should now be in balance.
    9. Repeat steps 6-8 for each of your other CU accounts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

This procedure was what I anticipated - Deactivate/delete and Add/Re-add. The savings account could not be linked to the Credit Union savings account at the same time I linked the primary savings account and the checking account. The only choice from the Credit Union was the checking account. I deleted this second savings account and re-added it.

Question: Are these Accounts that show up in the Account List linked to a data file, or doe they "stand alone" in Quicken Premier? I suspect the latter.

I open Quicken with the last data file that I backed up last night, look at account totals, duplicates ,etc.

Thanks for the help. I printed it out and will save it for future reference.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried to reconcile and got CC-800 error msg. Checking account (bottom white box) still shows the on-line balance of the savings account. Checking account register has been updated with missing transactions. Only a $20.00 error. Every credit union account in the Account List looks correct.

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

Took about four attempts to link checking account to the correct credit union account. Third attempt thwarted by the fact could not connect to CU servers. On-Line balance is now correct.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sounds like you got them all connected and balanced out correctly, now. Am I right?

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, you are right.

New topic: I've read some of the messages from Quicken users who also have accounts with Fidelity Investments. Connectivity issues or data downloads not what they expected. Quicken blamed due to one of the last program updates/downloads. Have these issues be mostly resolved?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Are you referring to this post thread?:

It is the only recent issue post that I have seen for Fidelity Investments when using QWin. I suspect there is something unique to the person who started that thread since no one else (that I could find) is posting about having this or any other connectivity issue with Fidelity Investments for the past month. Also others have posted that they are not having any issues connecting with and downloading from Fidelity Investments.

I, myself, have 7 Fidelity Investment account in 2 different data files and have not experienced any issues for quite some time. And I just tried adding Fidelity Investments as a new account in a test file and it connected and set it up properly. But I am not running the most recent version so I'll try updating that later today and then try adding another Fidelity Investments account in a test file and see what happens.

Have you tried adding any investment accounts using Fidelity Investments? If so, what was the result?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

FYI - I just updated my QWin installation to R55.15. I then did Add Account for Fidelity Investments in a test file. It connected to Fidelity Investments and set up the investment account in my QWin as it should have. No issues were identified.

This discussion has been closed.