Investment Performance Report Overall Totals are incorrect [edited]

Options
robstanlick
robstanlick Member
edited April 3 in Reports (Windows)

The register part of Quicken is keep fairly accurate totals but when I run an investment report The numbers can be double or triple what is actually in the accounts. In one investment preformance report it shows a YTD return of 606.19% How can this be fixed?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Investment Performance Report does an annualized IRR calculation. For a shorter period like YTD, it assumes that the performance over the period you have chosen will continue at a compounded rate for a full year.

Try changing the date range to Annual and Current year and you should see a more realistic performance projection. This will assume that the performance will be flat for the rest of the year.

Or set the date range to Last 12 months and you will see your actual performance for 3/28/23 through 3/27/24.

QWin Premier subscription
  • robstanlick
    robstanlick Member
    Options

Even YTD it says investments 7,482,385.00 investment Returns 12,156,600.00. I have tried a program that takes Excel information and converts it to a QFX file and what I was seeing is if it is a negative number Quicken just adds it to the total making the numbers a lot higher than it should be. Looking at the register now and it has added 2 million dollars to the total.

• robstanlick
    robstanlick Member
    Options

I did go to a date range of a year and got the same numbers

• Jim_Harman
    Options

You are right, something is wrong with the Overall Total amounts in the Investment Performance Report.

When the report first opens, it is subtotaled by Account. If I change the Subtotal to Security, I get a larger amount. If I change it back to Account, the number is even larger. It appears that the Overall Totals for the Investment and Return columns are not reset when you change the Subtotal setting, causing the numbers to accumulate.

The Avg Annual Return calculation appears to be correct and not affected by this issue.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am seeing same problem, and going back to old interface doesn't help.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I edited the title to describe the problem more clearly.

@robstanlick Do you see this problem in other investing reports?

• robstanlick
    robstanlick Member
    Options

I was seeing problems but until I ran the report I didn't completely grasps what was going on. I am a financial advisor trying to figure it out for a client.

• robstanlick
    robstanlick Member
    Options

Is the problem with stocks and ETF's and people with mutual funds aren't having this issue?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

No, the problem affects all securities and accounts in the report. The Overall Total calculations were added to this report in the past year or so and apparently no one noticed that the totals are not being reset when the Subtotal setting is changed.

The most important number in this report, the Average Annual Return (IRR), is not affected by this bug.

• robstanlick
    robstanlick Member
    Options

Do you have a hotline to the programers?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I have asked the forum Moderators to follow up. We'll see what happens. It often takes a long time to get problems like this fixed.

You can report the problem using the Help > Report a Problem link in Quicken. You will not get a response, but hopefully the more people who complain the more attention it will get.

In the meantime, you can use the Avg Annual Return columns in the Investing > Portfolio views, which present the same IRR information without the incorrect totals.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 4
    Options

Thanks for the update, @Quicken Jasmine

I have submitted a report via Report a Problem. Have you been able to observe this issue? Does it have a CTP number yet? It is very easy to replicate.