Reconciled investment transactions are being deleted

Options
Rich Gaughan
Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭

Quicken Classic version R55.15. Whenever I carry out a One Step update of my investment accounts a number of existing reconciled transactions are being deleted from an investment account. Five existing reconciled transactions were removed when I carried out an update this morning. They are all equity transactions for the ETF ticker symbol SOXL. I trade this ETF four to ten times per week. These deletions have been occurring every week for the past 4-6 weeks, it is always the same ETF SOXL. I am manually adding back the deleted

SOXL transactions, however each subsequent time I carry out an update Quicken deletes them again. I ran a “Validate file” that did not change the problem. I would really appreciate a response as this is taking to long to fix every week.

Why has Quicken Classic become so buggy recently? I have used the tool for over 10 year, the last six months have been one problem after another.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Rich Gaughan,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? When you download transactions, do your transactions go into your register automatically, or do you have that feature turned off and manually accept transactions from the section below your register?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Kristina, I began noticing this issue 2-3 months ago. I do not automatically load the transactions into the register. I manually accept transactions from the section below the register.

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina, FYI I have signed up for the Email digest.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When you are manually accepting transactions, are any of them claiming to be a match rather than a new transaction? I ask in case what is happening is newly downloaded transactions incorrectly matching to those older transactions (which would cause them to seem to disappear). This article provides more information on downloaded transactions and matching.

Is this happening with all of your investment accounts? Which financial institution(s) is affected by this issue? Have you recently reset or reconnected the problem accounts? Was there anything that happened just before this problem started (such as a power outage, program update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc.)? Do you keep your file directly on your local hard drive, or is it on a shared/network drive? Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service like OneDrive, iCloud, or Dropbox?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By any chance is the filter at the very top of the register (possibly above the "Category" label) set to show only "Unreconciled".

Click the RESET button to remove that filter.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Kristina, when i download investment transactions some of them are labelled "Near Match". The issue is only occuring in one account: TD Ameritrade. I have not recently reset or reconnected to that account. My quicken QDF file is on my Hard drive, it is not in the cloud. I have not had any hardware issue with my laptop. I do use Carbonite to back up my hard drive, it is not synced to any other service. Any suggestions for what I can try before I carry out another update ?

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi notACPA, thanks for the suggestion. Could you take a quick screenshot of the location of the "unreconciled" filter? I dont see it at the top of my TD Ameritrade account register.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

" ...when i download investment transactions some of them are labelled "Near Match".

When you say "some of them", have you checked to see whether the near match transactions are near matches to the transactions that you later believe have been deleted?

Perhaps your existing investment transactions are not actually being deleted, but are being matched (combined) with the downloaded transactions that are designated "Near Match".

I understand you to say you download transactions for the same security and the same "Action" value (such as "Bought", for example) multiple times a week.

If all fields in the downloaded investment transaction are the same as an existing transaction in the Quicken account ... except the transaction dates are different but within 14 days of each other; Quicken may be treating, what should be, a New transaction as a Near Match. 

If you then Accept that Near Match, what should have been 2 transactions will have become 1 transaction. And if I understand the Quicken Help correctly, that single transaction will be given the date of the downloaded transaction.

In any event, if you're not already doing this, I suggest you examine those downloaded Near Match transactions and determine whether they should be New transactions. If they should be new, I believe you can select the downloaded transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab, click its Edit button and "Unmatch" it ... so Quicken will treat it as New.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OOPS, Sorry. Reading too fast. I missed that you were asking about an investment account. You're right that they don't have the same filters as other accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks mshiggins, those are thoughtful comments and suggestions. I will look at the “near match” transactions and I’ll give you a update. You bring up some interesting questions:

1. Why doesn’t Quicken prompt the user before deleting investment transactions?
    2. Why are reconciled transactions being deleted without user input. Is there any way to lock transactions to prevent deletion?
    3. Whenever I do a One Step Update I usually check the current balance to determine if existing transactions have been deleted. If the current balance(prior to download) has changed after an update, that is an indication that existing transactions have been removed. Is there any way of determining which transactions have been deleted, as Quicken gives no indication?
    4. Each week I have multiple transactions for the same equity and the same share quantity. Only the time/date stamp is different. Can Quicken reliably process these transactions?

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

HI mshiggins,

I carried out a One Step Update on my investment accounts over the weekend. Of the 31 investment transactions downloaded into the section below the TD Ameritrade register, just three were labeled as "Near Match". I unmatched all three and accepted the 31 transactions. The cash balance prior to the update did not change which would indicate (hopefully) that existing reconciled transactions were not deleted. The next step will be for me to manually put back all the reconciled transactions that Quicken deleted and then carry out a One Step Update. I'll give you an update later in the week.

I would appreciate if someone could answer the four questions in my April 11th comments. Why does Quicken delete reconciled transactions without prompting the user? If I try to delete a reconciled transaction I get a prompt asking if I want to proceed!

• Rich Gaughan
    Rich Gaughan Member ✭✭
    Options

HI mshiggins, I carried out two additional One Step Updates on 4/18/24 and 4/20/24. One download involved 22 transactions and the other 9 transactions. In each case there were three transactions labeled "Near match". I unmatched each transaction and accepted them.

No existing reconciled transactions were deleted in each case. It appears that your suggestion has resolved the problem. Many thanks!