Why is different / wrong account name shown during activation and update?

Options
gt00tx
gt00tx Member ✭✭✭

I noticed today that one of my credit card accounts wasn't updating. Apparently, I had deactivated it at some point. So, when I proceeded to activate it, I got a message that "so and so account (shoot I can't remember the words)". The bottom line is, the so and so was NOT the credit card account, but another one of my accounts, a savings account at a different bank! Furthermore, when it did the auto update at the end of activating, it asked me the 'is this transaction the same as this one in so and so account' where it was again referring to that savings account rather than the credit card account. It activated and updated correctly, but somehow it's confusing the names of the account. Very odd…
EDIT: By the way, it IS a Citibank credit card account, if that matters.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @gt00tx,

If you delete the account, then you lose all history for that account (unless the financial institution lets you download all the history again, the only way to recover the information is restoring a backup from before the account was deleted). Because of that, deleting an account is typically a last resort when no other troubleshooting works.

To get that account reconnected, let's try following these steps:

First, backup your Quicken file.

Next, go to Tools>Account List and click the Edit button next to the problem account.

Then, go to the Online Services tab. If the account thinks it's connected, deactivate it.

After that, go to the General tab and clear out the Financial Institution and the Account Number fields, then click OK.

Once that is done, go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts.

On the Add/Link screen, make sure to link the account to the correct nickname in Quicken and verify that any other accounts showing in that screen are either showing Don't add to Quicken or are showing the correct account name to be linked to.

Finally, once everything is linked back up, please verify your accounts are connected and downloading properly.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Additional information… I just notice the that 'so and so account' had an indication that it was not updating… the circle with line through it. So, I decided to try to reset it. When I do, it thinks it's a Citibank account! I've seen this before, I think, I just didn't have time to address it. Do I need to DELETE the account and start over and maybe it will regain it's right mind and not think it's Citibank?

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @gt00tx,

If you delete the account, then you lose all history for that account (unless the financial institution lets you download all the history again, the only way to recover the information is restoring a backup from before the account was deleted). Because of that, deleting an account is typically a last resort when no other troubleshooting works.

To get that account reconnected, let's try following these steps:

First, backup your Quicken file.

Next, go to Tools>Account List and click the Edit button next to the problem account.

Then, go to the Online Services tab. If the account thinks it's connected, deactivate it.

After that, go to the General tab and clear out the Financial Institution and the Account Number fields, then click OK.

Once that is done, go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts.

On the Add/Link screen, make sure to link the account to the correct nickname in Quicken and verify that any other accounts showing in that screen are either showing Don't add to Quicken or are showing the correct account name to be linked to.

Finally, once everything is linked back up, please verify your accounts are connected and downloading properly.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 9
    Options

Thanks! That worked for the credit card account. It no longer thinks it's one of my savings accounts. But… the savings account, which has no account information and is deactivated, when I try to Set Up Now… it wants to go to Citi but it is NOT a Citi account… never was. It's a private credit union. It has worked in the past, but somehow it seems like its wires got crossed with the Citi account, which now works per your help. But this savings account… I don't know what else to do to get its mind of Citi. :-/

BTW, it never offers me the opportunity to select any other company or to set it up manually. It just defaults to going to Citi.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Have you tried reconnecting it by going to Tools>Add Account, selecting the correct financial institution, going through the prompts, and then linking to that account once you get to the Add/Link screen? If you haven't tried that, I recommend seeing if that works. If you have tried that, could you please describe (or screenshot, with personal information redacted) what happens and where you get roadblocked in the process?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 13
    Options

I'm trying your suggestion but I'm getting an error stating 'it's not your fault'. But to answer your question, no I did not try that because the accounts already existed. Technically, I shouldn't have to Add the accounts, but I'm game to try if it fixes my issue.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Which financial institution is this account with? Would you please post a screenshot of the error you're seeing (with personal information redacted)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina