Quicken - Intuit - American Express

Options

American Express needs me to authorize my accounts.

Is this legit? Do I need to change the way Quicken can access my Amex accounts?

Comments

• raymorr2
    raymorr2 Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been following this thread, although my 2 amex accounts were behaving in Quicken. I got the reauthorize message this morning, and no matter how I try, I can only get one account to download and sync in Q. I got one working by choosing only that one on the reauthorization screen. When I went back in to try to add the second one, will not sync with Q.

• richie5665
    richie5665 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having a problem too. Even though I reauthorize (multiple times) I cannot download transactions as usual. This must be new because it worked yesterday yesterday. ("Don't fix it if it isn't broke.")

• DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Exact same message for me started this morning. Saw one other poster in another thread that had same problem.

I did go to Amex website and reauthorize successfully, with the message "Your Account Reauthorized Successfully". But on return to Quicken, I get message "Sign into American Express Bank Failed. Try Again. … due to time out or a connnection error".

Seems to me this is a Quicken issue or connection issue. I CAN sign into AMEX just fine. Can't be a coincience that multiple people are having same problem today.

As always, I'll first wait for more people to report this today and then hope Quicken responds.

• nmccollu
    nmccollu Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here…

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Me Too.

When I started Quicken this morning a dialog popped up indicating I needed to setup American Express. I successfully went through the reauthorize with the browser, as it stated, but when I returned to Quicken it indicated that it failed. Also, the Online Services for my American Express account now is empty and requires setup. I tried the setup from that screen, but I got the same failed results.

Looks like AMX or Quicken is implementing a change that is broken.

----Quicken User since 1998 ----

• mdross171
    mdross171 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

@Quicken Janean @Quicken Jasmine Could one of you create a discussion for this AMEX issue? There are 4 or 5 separate threads for this AMEX issue that apparently for most started this morning. Thanks!

Same issue here. Quicken Classic Premier user.

Info that may help. I went to my AMEX account online and went to the Authorized Third Parties section under Account Services and my authorization for Quicken expires on 11/07/2024 so I should have never received a re-authorization. I now see 4 new Quicken authorizations dated today expiring a year from now.

No issue yesterday updating the account. I only have one open/active AMEX (Schwab AMEX) account. I do have a few closed AMEX accounts.

• richie5665
    richie5665 Member ✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

I just experienced a problem with my automatic downloading of transactions from my American Express account. (Note that it was working fine yesterday.) It appeared that Quicken directed me to use a new downloading method, which required reauthorization. I reauthorized a per the prompt from Quicken, but it wouldn't connect. It asked me to reauthorized again, and it still didn't restore downloading functionality. I tried another time, and again I had no success. I wound up having to download manually.

I called American Express. I was told that everything was fine on their end. So the problem is still unresolved.

• Bill Grimmer
    Bill Grimmer Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem and can't find any solution online here or at the AMEX site.

• Jack Riashi
    Jack Riashi Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried updating Quicken this morning, and I saw the same response from Amex. I can successfully verify (not sure why I have to do this again), and then it redirects me to Quicken where it fails. It's a Quicken issue—-again. These failures are a common occurrence at Quicken. They have been happening way too much.

• avbrph
    avbrph Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here with Amex.

• ocazted
    ocazted Member
    Options

Same issue. I don't think its AMEX issue - no problem signing on with the AMEX site. I think Quicken is having an issue.

• ALee643
    ALee643 Member ✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

I was just updating my accounts and the AMEX account requested re-authorization due to changes between AMEX and Quicken (using Windows version). I ended up with the same exact issues stated by many other users on this post. I get the same error message displayed, " Sign into American Express bank failed. try again. Sorry, the sign in failed due to timeout or a connection error. Select Sign in to authenticate via your web browser". It failed to authenticate multiple times. When I log in to my AMEX account and check for third-party authorizations, each attempt for authorization was granted on the AMEX account. I had Quicken on one monitor and AMEX on another monitor to monitor progress. Quicken's window shows timer circle going once AMEX displays authorization is successful. It goes for a while and then displays the failure notice. While I can't be absolutely sure where the problem is, it certainly appears that the problem is on Quicken's end. Also revoking all third party authorizations and trying again does not resolve the problem. It appears that this issue has been going on for quite a while with limited success in finding a resolution.

• winecracker
    winecracker Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

Having same issue with two American Express credit card accounts. As the same owner, I have one Amex login for both of these accounts. Q asks me to reauthorize and takes me to login page. I login, click the two accounts to authorize and webpage says authorization successful, but when am returned to Quicken I receive a popup message with the header "Activate One Step Update" and this message "Sign into American Express bank failed. Try again. Sorry, the sign in failed due to time out or a connection error. Select Sign to authenticate via your web browser" When I click the 'sign in' button below this message the process takes me again to the American Express Authorization sign-in page with the same results and same error message — am caught in a loop. Interestingly, my wife's separate Amex Cred Card account updates just fine and am not being asked to reauthorize it — which suggests is not a universal problem with Quicken. As Amex shows unexpired authorizations on my account and states during the re-authorization process that it was successful, it seems to me that Quicken is not recognizing the authorization from Amex. And, since it's happening with others as of this morning — suggests a Quicken issue, not a corrupted file nor Amex issue. HELP!!

• nickf2015
    nickf2015 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Options

I had this same issue this morning. After going through the setups and getting the failure message there was an "sign-in" option again and repeated the steps, but it seemed to work.

I had contacted support as well and they suggested to disable the popup blocker, which I did prior to completing the steps above.

So, I disabled the popup blocker on my browser, then went to setup an AMEX account, got the error message, clicked the sign-in button, completed the reauthorization steps again and it started to update the accounts.

• nickf2015
    nickf2015 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Options

Nevermind. After I did this, I noticed the transactions didn't download. Clicked to update an account and got prompted again to setup the accounts and now they're all missing the online setup info.

• jg1126
    jg1126 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am having the very same issue. Started this morning.

• mdross171
    mdross171 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

I did what @nickf2015 suggested by turning off the blocking of pop-ups before re-adding the account and I was able to add the account. Don't know if that was a coincidence. A few transactions downloaded. I turned back on block pop-ups, exited the program, re-entered and downloaded transactions for my AMEX account and working as it should. Not sure the cause. I am back in business.

• cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am having the very same issue. Started this morning.

• John McNally
    John McNally Member ✭✭✭
    Options

AMEX periodically requires REauthorization. It did so today 4/14/24. I followed the steps, logged into AMEX and checked the authorization box for Quicken. The AMEX website said the REauthorization was successful, but when redirected back to quicken, QUICKEN said it failed. Tried this EIGHT times. Same result.

Will I have to keep my BUSIEST account by hand or change to other accounting software? Has a fix been initiated by Quicken? It is obviously THEIR problem.

• marman
    marman Member ✭✭
    Options

Experiencing the very same issue. "Sign into American Express bank failed. Try again. Sorry, the sign in failed due to time out or a connection error"

• DG1964
    DG1964 Member
    Options

Starting getting this today (4/14/24) on my AMEX accounts that have worked just fine for a very long time. After much confusion and multiple attempts, changing browsers, deleting display names from AMEX accounts in Quicken, etc, and nothing worked.

I finally got it to work by changing Firefox Browser Privacy settings from CUSTOM to STANDARD. Told Quicken to add the account again and everything worked and updated. Then I changed Firefox browser privacy back to CUSTOM (I restrict everything I possibly can - but that sometimes causes issues like this).

Hope this helps someone else. You're welcome Quicken.

• Terry
    Terry Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same thing

• L80
    L80 Member ✭✭
    edited April 14
    Options

Same issue. Quicken chat support provided no useful "help" other than "wait until tomorrow." How many complaints does it take to get some Quicken action?

Update: I went through the add an account process, reauthorization process and linked to my existing American Express account.. It doesn't appear to have altered any of the previous transactions. I ran an additional one step update and while there were no addition transactions, the one stop update did complete with no errors.

Update 2: Just guessing but it appears that quicken is expecting a reauthorization response from American Express Banking which is different from the American Express site from which I regularly download transactions.

• Lewis Bernstein
    Lewis Bernstein Member ✭✭
    Options

AMEX does not work for me either!

• bbradford83
    bbradford83 Member ✭✭
    Options

same here. I see an error in the browser address indicating an invalid grant.

https://services.quicken.com/oauth-redirect/420647912779376897?error_source=partner&error_code=invalid_grant&error_description

• sjmsing
    sjmsing Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same Here

• checkyourmirrors
    checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here, tried the basic troubleshooting (sign in/out, etc) with no luck

• sjmsing
    sjmsing Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue started this morning