How secure is storing the Quicken backup file in a cloud service ?

Options
bmarin
bmarin Member ✭✭

Do I need a third party encryption tool for Icloud, Dropbox, Drive? I've read the Quicken vault is encrypted but not the data file?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 16
    Options

Just to be clear, you're asking about Quicken Windows backup files, right?

For iCloud, if you turn on Advanced Data Protection then all the files stored on your iCloud Drive are E2E encrypted, but if somebody stole one of your devices & was able to get into your account they'd still have access to your iCloud Drive contents.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• bmarin
    bmarin Member ✭✭
    Options

Either one or both if possible. Plan on running both windows and Mac for awhile.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In Quicken Mac, if you have the option enabled to encrypt your Quicken file when it is closed, then the backup file is also encrypted. If that option is off, then the backup file is not encrypted.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @bmarin,

If you have the same question for Windows, then we advise that you please create a separate post in the proper Windows category as it is unlikely you will receive a Windows response on a post located in the Mac category.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bmarin
    bmarin Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response @on & @ Quicken Anja, I'll give that a try on Mac!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note on Quicken Mac passwords are stored in the Apple keychain, not a "password vault" like on Quicken Windows. And for reference the password vault is stored in the data file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/