CC-503 - setting up accounts with Direct Connect (edit)

Options
sproctor61
sproctor61 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta

I am setting up Quicken for Windows on a new computer from scratch. All the accounts that use Direct Connect get a CC-503 error. Discover, Chevron, AAA Visa etc.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @sproctor61,

The CC-503 error generally indicates invalid credentials (although it can also happen if you choose the wrong connection option, since then the server wouldn't recognize you and consider the credentials invalid). Also, it looks like the financial institutions you mentioned connect via Express Web Connect rather than Direct Connect.

What kind of Discover account are you trying to connect (checking, savings, credit, etc)? For bank accounts (checking/savings), the Discover Bank connection would be the best choice. For credit card, Discover or Discover Card Account Center are usually the best options.

I can see there are a few different options for Chevron. Is it a business or personal account? The URL (web address) can help narrow down which choice may be the best one to connect to.

There are a few options for the AAA card also. It looks like you were able to successfully connect to AAA Advantage Visa CC on Quicken for Mac, so if you're trying to connect that same card on Quicken for Windows, then that may be the best connection to use.

Once you have verified that you're connecting to the correct connection option in Quicken, if the incorrect credentials errors persist, you would want to first backup your Quicken file, then follow the troubleshooting steps from this article on CC-503 (invalid credentials):

Step One: Verify your bank login information

1. Type your password/PIN into a text application, such as Notepad, WordPad, or other text/word application. 
      • Note: This is a way of confirming you don't have typographical errors in this field.  
    2. Highlight the "confirmed" password and then copy it (Ctrl + C) and paste it (Ctrl + V) into the appropriate fields in Quicken.

Step Two: Verify your bank login at the bank's website

1. Go to your bank's website and confirm that you're able to log in with the expected username and password.
    2. Once you are logged in, review your account at the website for notifications (such as pending messages in a mailbox or message center) to confirm if further action is required to grant Quicken access. 
      • Some banks will require a separate login, password, or both to access accounts on third-party software. Also note, you may need to go to your settings at the website to access these prompts for new credentials. 

New passwords: If you are required to make a new password, be aware that some special characters may cause errors in Quicken. These special characters are the ampersand (&), left carat (<), right carat (>), backslash (\), and forward slash (/). Additionally, while Quicken does not have a character limit, your bank may have one. 

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sproctor61
    sproctor61 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 18
    Options

Discover Credit card, AAA Advantage thru cominity and Chevron and Texaco Card. I verified via the website I’m using correct info many times.

[Removed - Third Party Reference]

Also, there are several posts here with folks having the exact same issues.

[Removed - Beta Reference]

I get confused on the name of the connection types, the ones that open a browser and you login there on initial setup all work perfectly but the ones that ask you for login info within Quicken are the ones that don’t work.

Thank you for the response.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @sproctor61,

Due to the previous troubleshooting steps having failed to resolve the issue as well as the number of accounts that are experiencing this issue, I suggest contacting Quicken Support directly for further assistance as an escalation may be in order.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that we could not be of more assistance.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.