Developer Suggestion: Current Balance for Credit Card Accounts

Options

Hi,

Would it be possible for the developers to add the "current balance" to show up at the bottom of the register? I have it showing up for my checking accounts, but it doesn't show up in credit card accounts. It only shows "online balance" and "ending balance" for my credit card accounts.

This would be relevant for when there are future transactions in the account.

I called customer support and they suggested I create a question for this, to be considered for the next version release.

Below is a screenshot example of the checking account register showing all 3 of the online, current and ending balances.

Thanks!

Dan

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18
    Options

All of the banking accounts are displayed this way, not just credit cards. The Current balance is ONLY shown when there are future transactions in the register. If there are no future transactions, Ending and Current balances are the same and it was evidently decided that showing both was redundant and Current is not shown.

To prove the point, add a temporary test transaction with a future date in the credit card account, you will find that Current will be shown.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dan_B
    Dan_B Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree that in theory what you are saying is how it should work, but it is not showing the current balance for the credit card accounts that have future transactions in my register.

I did a share screen with the support team and they agreed it is not working as you re saying, so they suggested for me to submit this developer request.

What you are saying is what's happening correctly for my checking accounts that have future transactions, but not for my credit card accounts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have a "Current Balance" for my credit card accounts either.

Whether there are future dated txn in the card account, or not, I'm showing "Online Balance" (which is effectively the Current Balance), "Credit Remaining" and "Ending Balance". All cards are enabled for download.

It's the banking accounts that show "Online Balance", "Current Balance" and "Ending Balance"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18
    Options

The reason it isn't there is because on credit cards they show the "credit remaining" instead. When you have a wide enough screen, it seems like you could cram in a lot of different balances, but if you have ever seen some of the complaints about not seeing these balances you quickly realize that some people have their resolution/scaling/window side set that they can't even see the one that they have now.

Note that you have the choice of displaying the Current balances on the account bar or the ending balances.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dan_B
    Dan_B Member ✭✭
    edited April 18
    Options

@Chris_QPW . I have a pretty big monitor and for the software version of Quicken Classic, it doesn't show credit remaining at the bottom.

Here is a screenshot to show an example with future activity, but no current balance listed, aside from having it in the balance column.

If you use the online version of quicken classic, it gives the option to see each of the 3 balances in the top right corner for credit cards. Showing the same account here for comparison.

@splasher here's evidence for you that it doesn't work that way with future transactions entered in credit cards:

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

my checking show… # of transactions - Online Balance - Current Balance - Ending Balance
    my CC show …………. # of transactions - Online Balance - Credit Remaining - Ending Balance

all CC accts have future dated Reminder transactions.
    all CC accts also have the arbitrary Credit Limit setting - which drives the "Credit Remaining" display, NOT from the bank

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18
    Options

@dan_b I stand corrected. I did not test it and was working from memory.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is interesting that not setting the credit limit causes it not to show the credit remaining at the bottom of the register. Not in the sense that they did that because it makes sense without that entry you can't make the calculation, but in the sense that leave it open to @Dan_B's suggestion. Say if the credit limit isn't set, show the Current Balance instead.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/