Portfolio Balance Doesn't Match Report Balances

Options

My "report" balances don't match the portfolio value. The "report" balances are not accurate, how do I correct "report" balances to match portfolio values?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you narrow it down to a specific account or security?   Maybe you have a security price or transaction dated  in the future? Check the price history. How far off is it?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Much more info needed in order to help you.

What Financial Institution are you having this issue with? What type(s) of accounts (taxable, Roth, etc)? What's your download method into those accounts (Direct Connect, Web Connect, etc)?:

What BUILD of Q are you running? Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Which report? Have you customized the report in any way? Did you include all accounts and all securities?

And the way to correct the report is to figure out what's happening, and correct that/those errors.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be helpful know which "report" you are referring to so perhaps a more precise response can be given.

Without knowing the specific report you are seeing the issue with, the best response is a rather generic one:

1. At the top right of the report in question, click on the Gear icon which will open the Customize popup.
    2. In the Customize popup, click on each tab and carefully review the selections shown there.
    3. Pay special attention to the Accounts and Securities tabs to make sure all Accounts and all Securities are selected. Also on the Securities tab make sure the box for Show (hidden securities) is checked. Some reports do not automatically update to add new Accounts and/or Securities when they are added to Quicken.
    4. Be sure to click on OK to exit the Customize popup.

Did this resolve the discrepancy issue?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

I went back and generated new reports and didn't customize and there are still differences in the balances. All the accounts that have a difference are "investment" accounts and all are setup to update thru Charles Schwab Direct Connect. The account balances are correct on everything but "reports"

The following reports all show the same account balances: Net Worth, Portfolio Value, Account Balances. The totals on the report don't match acutal account balances that show in the non-reports totals

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

on my original post I falsely indicated that the various reports didn't match the Portfolio Value report but in reviewing all report totals have the same balance which don't match the actual account balances in the Investments

• volvogirl
    Options

One thing, make sure you are comparing the same date for the report and in the register. And current balance or ending balance. Those can be different.

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Version R56.9, Build 27.1.56.9

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

If all the reports are showing the same account balances, then it's a pretty good indication that it is not the reports that are the issue.

You are comparing the values in the reports to what? The Value view of Investment Portfolio?

If so, above the Portfolio view click on the Customize button, click on the Securities tab, check the box for Show (hidden securities), click on Select All and click on OK. Then compare the Portfolio to the reports and let us know the results.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

One other option just came to mind: Edit > Preferences > Early Access > uncheck the boxes > OK. Early Access has sometimes been problematic and unchecking the boxes can sometimes resolve some issues with reports.

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

I checked and the boxes are not checked in Early Access

In reviewing the reports the number of shares and cost basis are correct, the "quote/price" are incorrect. Share prices are correct in Quicken but incorrect in "reports"

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure the ending dates for the reports are set to today's date? There is a setting at Edit > Preferences > Reports and Graphs that sets the default end date for most built-in reports. You probably want to set it to Year to Date.

You mentioned the Portfolio Value report, what other reports have the wrong share prices? I assume we are talking about the built-in reports from the Reports menu and not some other reports.

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

The dates for the report are correct and the setting is defaulted to Year to Date.

Yes, the reports are from the Reports Menu. I reran the reports without customizing and the results are the same, share balances are correct, share prices are incorrect

• volvogirl
    Options

Have you looked at the share prices list? Are they all wrong or on just some of the securities? From the Holdings screen or the investment listing, Right click on a security and select Price History.

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

After digging deeper into the accounts all the share prices are correct, share price in account is the same as share price on the report (Portfolio Value Report).

Examples:

On 2 accounts the math on the report isn't correct on a few of the holdings. Example the number of shares is 607, quote/price of $19.07, the report shows balance of $4,443.31 (correct amount is $11,575.49). On another the number of shares is 1669, quote/price of $60.48 and report shows balance of $21,530.88 (correct amount is $100941.12)

One account there are CALL options with balances but on the actual account there are no CALL options

One account the balances match but the math doesn't add up correctly

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 30
    Options

OK, given that it is not a share price or share count issue, please go to File > Validate and Repair and validate the file.

Does that show significant issues? Does it change the balances in the Portfolio Value report?

If not, select a transaction in a problem account and hit Ctrl-Z to recalculate the account. Does that help?

If none of the above explains the issue, one thing you can do is to set the ending date for the report back in time and compare the numbers for a problem account to those when you click on Holdings and set the As of date to match, looking for the date when they first disagree. Zero in on the date when it first occurs and look for a transaction on that date that might explain the issue. Often just one account will be affected, so you can narrow your search to that account.

Sometimes deleting and re-entering the suspicious transaction will fix a problem like this. Another situation that can cause apparently incorrect math in reports is if you have duplicate transactions that are "corrected" with Placeholders. See this discussion

If a balance is left (sometimes just a few pennies) after the final sale for a security, make sure the Sell all shares in this account box is checked in the Sold transaction.

Be sure to back up your data file before altering historical data, just in case ...

Please post back and let us know what you find.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Also the Release Notes for R56.9 say that they fixed an issue with the Net Worth and Account Balances reports, but there are no specifics.

You might try accepting that update and see if that has any effect on your issues.

And it is not clear what you are saying about Call options. There have been issues with the Portfolio Value report showing option positions that have been closed. See the discussion below. Is that what you are seeing, or is it something else?

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

Running the validate and repair did fix a couple of accounts. One account still has a small discrepancy in the total amount and one account still has an issue with the Options - CALL transactions. I will review the transactions

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you say "small discrepancy", do you mean pennies, at the security level?

When multiplying the number of units by the quote, Q rounds the dollar amount using 5/4 rounding.

Some financial institutions, Fidelity in particular, truncate instead of rounding.

So a variance of a penny or so at the security level is something that I just ignore.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

The balance column on the Portfolio report equals the balance on the Account Overview Holdings on each individual holding but the Total $'s is off by 0.25%

• mikeu
    mikeu Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to resolve the issue with the account that had CALL options. I deleted numerous SHTSELL and CVGSHORT transactions associated with the entries on the Portfolio Report and this removed the entries. The balances per holding are in agreement, slight difference in total dollars (0.1%)