Can a tag automatically be assigned based on the Account?

Options
anaxagoras
anaxagoras Member ✭✭

My wife and I are going to try and have a joint view of our accounts, and i'd like to automatically tag every transaction in her accounts with her name, and every transaction in my accounts with my name, so we can easily run reports on out separate spending habits.

How can I do this?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, the answer to your question is NO, sorry. Tags are global and not restricted to any account.

BUT, why can you do the same thing using Your and Her accounts … instead of tags? You specifically reference "her accounts" and "my accounts".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are all of your transactions in your accounts and all of hers in hers, or for example do you also have joint accounts with a mixture of yours and hers?

If it is the former, you could skip the Tags and just select the appropriate accounts for the reports.

But if you need to tag all the transactions in an account, you can select all the transactions in the account by clicking on the first and Shift-clicking on the last. Then right-click on the selection and select Edit transaction(s). At the bottom of the Edit window, select Replace Tag with [the person's name]. I think this will replace any existing Tags, not add an additional tag, which may not be what you want. Always back up your data before making bulk changes, in case something goes wrong. There is no Undo.

QWin Premier subscription
  • anaxagoras
    anaxagoras Member ✭✭
    Options

While the majority of his/hers spending occurs in his/hers accounts, we do have some joint accounts, so we'd also want to tag individual transactions.

• anaxagoras
    anaxagoras Member ✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman replacing tags is also not a workable solution unfortunately if it would overwrite existing tags.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

In our household, we treat most expenses as joint. For individual expenses like hobbies, clothes, or travel alone, we have a Category for each spouse with a few subcategories under each. So for example, Jim's Expenses has the subcategories JH Boat, JH Computer, JH Misc, and JH Travel.

Would that work for you?

• anaxagoras
    anaxagoras Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah that would work, it just feels a little messy when making reports unfortunatly.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I agree there are several situations where it is useful to track each family member's income and expenses separately, and Tags might be better than setting up subcategories. Medical insurance premiums, expenses, and reimbursements where we have separate deductibles would be another example, as would education expenses.

It would be interesting to learn how other users have dealt with this issue.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@anaxagoras - I agree with Jim that tags would be your best bet. Overwriting existing tags would be a moot point if you do not currently use tags for other purposes. If you add the Tag column to your registers, they are easy to use. The only challenge I see is using tags for split transactions which makes you have a tag for each split item in the transaction. The other thing you can possibly do is use the Memo field to designate ownership. In that case you would need to be exact and consistent with your memos so the transactions can be pulled appropriately for reports.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.