Pre-Update Backups Not Happening

Options
BryanK
BryanK Member ✭✭✭

This applies to both 55.26 and 56.9. Usually when doing a version update, a backup of your data file is saved to your backup folder with the naming convention: {filename}-R-{version}-{datestamp}.QDF-backup. For the most recent 2 releases this version backup was not saved (or saved to a different location than backup folder). Worth noting that my normal rolling backups are working fine, this issue is specific to version backups when installing an update

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you doing the version updates?

If you use the manually downloaded updates from this link, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows the backup will not be made since it is done by code in the desktop program.

If you do the version update because the desktop program is suggesting it, the backup should be made.

Let us know your method.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BryanK
    BryanK Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Installing from Help/Check For Updates, then getting prompted to install the available update. The version update was working fine prior to the last couple of releases

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since I have the update checks blocked by a firewall, I can't test this. Maybe someone else will chime in. You could always call/chat with Quicken Support at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited May 3
    Options

Hello @BryanK,

To help troubleshoot this issue, I did some testing in my Quicken. From what I observed, when running R55 and more recent, no backup appears in the default directory when using the automatic program update feature (Help>Check for Updates). When running R54 or earlier, a backup does show up.

I forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have it further investigated. In the meantime, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-9912)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Procopio
    Procopio Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed the same issue - no backup for the last two releases. The last backup I got due to an update is a file called QDATA-R-54.16-2024-03-12.QDF-backup, from 3-12-2024.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30
    Options

The release identifier in the backup file name is the release that you have been running; not the release of the version being installed - at least historically.

There were complaints about the backup file being made when prompted for the new install rather than when the new install was actually done. In my case, each time Quicken started the process and my Windows UAC control interrupted the process to get my OK (which I habitually reject), the backup got created. In my case, that is a lot of backups referencing R48.8.

This 'fix' from the R55.12 release notes claims to have responded to those complaints. That may be where and when the change in process @Procopio identifies started.

• Modified the automatic backup creation during the patch process to occur only after a user opts to install the patch, eliminating confusion from premature backup files when patch installation is delayed or cancelled.

• BryanK
    BryanK Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you all, looks like a reproducible issue. Will submit issue through the software.