Expired Subscription - annoying ad splash!

Options

We have been using Quicken for years prior to the new subscription based process. Last year we went ahead and did the subscription, but don't find the auto upgrades worth the cost. So, I intentionally let my subscription expire.

Now there is an annoying ad splash across the top of my page, and taking up valuable screen space down much of the side. Now, what I want to see is all squished into a smaller space.

Am I just stuck with these ads now? Or is there a way to get rid of them (without paying for a subscription)??

Please advise - this is very annoying.

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry the only way to remove it is to renew.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken originally went with the subscription model (starting with 2018) their plan was to disallow Quicken from functioning at all when the subscription expires. After all, that is what most subscription softwares do when their subscriptions expire.

They did relent on this and agreed to allow Quicken to be used manually once the subscription expires but there would be that nagging reminder that can only be removed by resubscribing. (This applies to Deluxe and higher editions. Starter will become read-only.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• vinniec2769
    vinniec2769 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is unfortunate that there is a reminder in two areas on the screen to renew. I have no plans to renew at this time, as I have enough monthly subscriptions to pay for. I will be looking for options from competitors to see if I can purchase a non-subscription checkbook. I believe that Quicken (and QuickBooks for that matter) should have a non-subscription based download and give the user the choice to buy an updated version. When I received my first version of Quicken in 1998, it worked just fine until I had to upgrade when I had a more current version of Windows.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

@vinniec2769 What version do you have now? If it was before 2013 or you are thinking of starting over somewhere else you can get Quicken 2013 for Windows for free. You can download 2013 Deluxe directly from Quicken for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Answers

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry the only way to remove it is to renew.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In short, yes, you are stuck with the message about renewing if you continue to use Quicken for manual data entry without renewing your subscription.

It's meant to be annoying; they want you to renew your subscription. Unless you continue to pay, you're an ex-customer and you're of no value to them.

This has been in place since the start of subscription pricing back in 2017.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 😉

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MaryannBurns
    MaryannBurns Member
    Options

That's a bummer. Smart choice to stay on Quicken 2013 - we didn't realize that was even an option last year when we signed up. Now I have to decide if it's worth the annual subscription fee just to not have the annoying messages using up my screen and triggering my OCD. LOL

• MaryannBurns
    MaryannBurns Member
    Options

The things they don't tell you when you sign up…….LOL.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stuck yes - Way to get rid no -

Are you using Quicken online downloading - or entering all data manually ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken originally went with the subscription model (starting with 2018) their plan was to disallow Quicken from functioning at all when the subscription expires. After all, that is what most subscription softwares do when their subscriptions expire.

They did relent on this and agreed to allow Quicken to be used manually once the subscription expires but there would be that nagging reminder that can only be removed by resubscribing. (This applies to Deluxe and higher editions. Starter will become read-only.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• vinniec2769
    vinniec2769 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is unfortunate that there is a reminder in two areas on the screen to renew. I have no plans to renew at this time, as I have enough monthly subscriptions to pay for. I will be looking for options from competitors to see if I can purchase a non-subscription checkbook. I believe that Quicken (and QuickBooks for that matter) should have a non-subscription based download and give the user the choice to buy an updated version. When I received my first version of Quicken in 1998, it worked just fine until I had to upgrade when I had a more current version of Windows.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

@vinniec2769 What version do you have now? If it was before 2013 or you are thinking of starting over somewhere else you can get Quicken 2013 for Windows for free. You can download 2013 Deluxe directly from Quicken for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

• MaryannBurns
    MaryannBurns Member
    Options

I used Quicken 1998 version for 20+ years, until last year when we upgraded to Windows 10 and it no longer worked. At that time, I spoke with a Quicken support person who explained the new subscription model, and I converted. I only use it for manual entry, so I guess the 2013 version would have done just fine for me. But now that I'm on a newer version, having used the subscription for a year now, I doubt that I can convert back. Guess I'll just try to ignore the ads for as long as I can, and then just suck it up and renew. …… Not cool Quicken!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    Options

Not cool, but it sounds like it is going to work on you (eventually).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@MaryannBurns - You probably wouldn't have been happy with the 2013 version either. It doesn't have the annoying banner, but it is limited in my opinion and does have annoying pop-up messages. There are no online services available, so everything is manual update. It may have pricing capabilities; I am not sure.

Maybe they should offer another product tier for those users that want a totally manual version of Quicken?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP Limited in what way? I have never heard anyone complain about its limitations if they are "manual entry" kind of person.

I do believe that Quicken Subscription has added a lot of value over the older versions, but I would be hard pressed to find any that aren't in some way "online services" connected.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    edited May 6
    Options

@Chris_QPW I have installed and used the 2013 version and for me, it was not a good experience. Alot of the menu items were not functional. You are right they probably were for online services features. Even so, it was disconcerting to click on an item and have a message pop up indicating that they were expired or not available.

That is why I mentioned a "manual" version of Quicken. It would be appropriately pared down and not have the extra features that don't work. And hopefully be offered at a lower cost.

• volvogirl
    Options

Then there must have been something wrong with your 2013 install. I've been using 2013 Premier ever since it came out. The free Deluxe download is the full program. I even installed it on my new laptop and it works as good as my Desktop program. 2013 would be the manual version. 2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@volvogirl I don't remember which version I used. I also have the install file for Quicken 2013 Premier, along with the 2013 Deluxe version used for converting. I tested it out a while ago. And the reason why I stopped even considering it was that it wouldn't allow me to upload files. Maybe there was something wrong with the version I was using. It could also be that it wasn't patched properly.

• volvogirl
    Options

Yes if you install from the CD you need the patches. The free download Deluxe is the full updated version. One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    Options

The definition when we say manual entry that's what we mean, if you want to download that's an online activity and yeah you can't do it except for QIF import(and only if you know the right work around). And if you were on Quicken Mac you couldn't even do that.

And there is zero chance Quicken Inc is going to offer a "manual entry/pared down version". They had that and got rid of it . They got rid of the H&B version because selling Rental separately wasn't worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Starter some time.

People don't seem to understand what costs them money and that that they are a business. They work to increase profit, not decrease how much their customers pay.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW at first I thought maybe Quicken 2013 could upload QFX files, but quickly learned that that wasn't a possibility. That was a showstopper for me. Yes, I could upload QIF files, but they aren't fully supported and maintained by Quicken. There are several issues with them and aren't feasible for regular use.

I moved from MS Money to Quicken 2009. I remember Quicken 2013 as the most issue ridden version that I had to deal with. That is another reason why I shudder when that version is offered to users as alternative. Granted, most of the issues I had was with online services, but still I remember it was sluggish and navigation was clunky. When I recently tried to use and tested Quicken 2013, I could still feel the sluggish responsiveness.

For me, Quicken 2013 will never work, but for others it might be a viable solution, and that is just fine. Nothing wrong with that. That is why I think Quicken should offer an up-to-date cheaper manual version of Quicken, for those users that don't need online services. I think with would be a win-win because users will have what they want and Quicken can retain users that would otherwise leave.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP curious, what percentage of Quicken users do you think would be willing to pay for a manual entry only version of Quicken?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 7
    Options

@mshiggins - honestly, I have no idea, but there is certainly a vocal few in this community who say they never use any online services so why are they being forced to pay.

So maybe a compromise, of a manual subscription at a reduced price would work?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP "never use any online services" … does that include quotes and/or program updates?

Because THOSE are "online services" also … so I disbelieve their claims.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@NotACPA yes I guess you have to take their claims with a grain of salt. Now that @mshiggins brought it up, I wonder how many would use a manual version of Quicken? And how "manual" would it be? And what price would Quicken be willing to offer it?

There was more discussion of this topic when Quicken moved to a subscription model. So maybe those that used Quicken manually have left, so maybe a manual version of Quicken is a moot point? Who knows?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7
    Options

If One thing that Quicken Inc most definitely has a better handle on than we do is what their customer base is, and their costs for various services personnel and all.

I have yet to see them take any action that indicates that their belief that manual entry people are worth it. In fact the only thing I see here is people complaining about the cost because they perceive the fact that they don't use every feature in the program that they should get a reduced price. That's not really how the world works. You go to the furniture store and you get a cookie cutter desk and you get a low price. You asked for a custom desk and you pay more even if it has less features. It might sound strange but the software that already has the features in it cost quicken inc less than removing features there is an increase of cost. There isn't any reduction in cost for Quicken Inc, only the user.

So one has believe that they're losing lots of users for this that would pay and be worth doing the extra work. I just can't see how that would ever add up.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW the banner only comes up if you don't keep your subscription up to date. Tell me how that is anything different than telling Quicken Inc that they have no intention to give them any more money?

Signature:
  • volvogirl
    Options

I use QW2013. So what new features am I missing out on besides downloading and other Online services? I suppose a manual only current subscription version could be like $10 or 15? I could see that. But reading all the posts in the forum I'm glad I stayed in 2013. I don't have any problems with updates like missing data or renaming rules or memorized not working. I don't have updates breaking anything. I don't import into Turbo Tax and this year people couldn't import from Quicken. Don't know if TT or Q ever fixed that.

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12
    Options

Same here. Staying on Quicken 2012 Premier for now. @MaryannBurns mentions above that

I used Quicken 1998 version for 20+ years, until last year when we upgraded to Windows 10 and it no longer worked.

I do not see anything wrong in continuing to use a product if it is working fine. Even if that meant having a spare computer or virtual machine with latest OS on which the program works fine. Just to be sure, backing up data file and having installable of the version with latest patch(es) is important all the time.

Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 11 Pro (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)