Three versions - one data set?

CameronL
CameronL Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭

Hello.

I have a computer with three OSes - Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.

I have installed the Mac and Windows versions and I primarily use Mac OS. I want to know if I can use the same data set with Windows, Mac OS, and Quicken for the web.

So far I have each desktop version with its own desktop file and own Web account.

It seems that to use both desktop versions I will need to continually export from Mac OS and then import it into Quicken for Windows, which is to say that I seem unable to share data between desktop versions using Quicken for the web.

Please advise,

Cameron.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31

Going between MAC and Windows is not a subtle issue -
    and the 2 versions of Quicken are different and support different features of Quicken,
    along with having different physical files.
    The "migration" is usually meant as a 1-time effort between platforms and not a simple open/close type of operation.

And I think, since the Quicken Cloud is setup to Sync between a specific physical QDF data file,
    that EACH of the Windows and MAC versions of Quicken would have their own Cloud representation -
    so it would NOT reflect both systems, since both systems are not actually sharing the same physical QDF file -

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud/

• CameronL

Upon taking another look, I see that the web file created for Quicken for Windows does not allow me to sync to it and It cannot be opened with either version of Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31

just to clarify - did you CREATE a new Quicken file using ONLY the Quicken On The Web feature ?
    If so - that is a known issue and that orphan file can not be Sync'd or accessed by any desktop installed version -
    It is a BAD anomaly that Quicken has not yet closed as it is a bogus door to creating files… Quicken data files should ONLY be created using the desktop versions.

• CameronL

Actually all my files were created using desktop versions.

I do however, now have a couple of orphan files in Quicken for the web and I'd like to know how to get rid of them.

Any ideas?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about Quicken Mac "Quicken Cloud datasets" (these are where the Mobile/Web data is stored on the Quicken server), but for the Windows ones here is how you can remove them.

In a Quicken Windows Desktop data file that has sync to Mobile/Web on, select Edit → Preferences → Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts → Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (xx)

From the dialog that comes up you can select and delete the Quicken Cloud dataset as long as it isn't the one associated with the Quicken Desktop data file that is currently open.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Actually, since the Quicken Mac tab is also shown in that dialog, maybe you can delete the Quicken Mac datasets from there too. I don't know because I don't have a Mac.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @CameronL,

If you are trying to delete orphaned cloud datasets, you would need to do so through the Quicken program. To delete them using Quicken for Mac, please follow these steps from this article on editing/deleting cloud datasets:

1. Go to Quicken > Preferences
    2. Go to the Connected Services tab and click See All Cloud Accounts to see the dataset nickname(s).
    3. To delete a dataset from the cloud, click the minus icon at the bottom of the page…
    4. …and then confirm.

Note: A dataset cannot be deleted if it is the one currently open in Quicken. To switch to a different data file, close the Cloud Accounts list and the Preferences window and go to File > Open

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.