R57.12 Backup fails- Unable to create the destination data file / Unable to Open source file (edit)

2»

Answers

• ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭

If by chance it helps; my backups are from a local drive (C:) to an external hard drive. No cloud storage of any kind are involved as it is all local.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

A question to everyone that is having this issue.

Do you use QMobile/QWeb? Personally, I don't and I am not affected by this issue, just trying to rule that out as a possible cause for it to not affect everyone.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• miklk
    miklk Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

It does not effect me in 4 different data files. I do have 2 test data files with SYNC enabled and no problems there either.

I notice a lot of users seem to be saving to external drives etc..

They were working on a change to backup. Not clear if they actually made the change but what ever it was, it seemed to cause this side effect.

• RogerMontemayor
    RogerMontemayor Member ✭✭✭

Splasher, I do not use qmobile or qweb. The problem happens whether I back up to an external drive or even my local c drive.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you using a server as a backup destination? Copy and paste your backup dialog screen here.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

We will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pauldev
    pauldev Member ✭✭
    edited June 14

discussion and private Quicken Support link -
    [Removed - Privacy and Security]

• Same problem. Unable to backup after update. Windows 11. Backup directory is just a sub-directory BACKUP under Quicken. I believe this is the default.

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭

27.1.57.102 fixed the backup problem.

27.1.56.9 backup verified working.

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭

After going back to 56.9 I just ran a validation to double check the data file and received the following:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Fri Jun 14 10:33:48 2024]
    Additional data conversion in QWMain started

I'm assuming the data conversion comment is OK? Never saw this before.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

if this is indeed from Quicken Support - why from a AWS link - and why go back to R56 ?

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14

I second @Ps56k2's comment. Unless Quicken moderators inform the community about downloading from AWS, I would not touch it! I would just downgrade to R56 and wait.

FYI, I ran a the following test: Upgraded to R57.12 from the Quicken prompt and experienced the same issue. Then manually installed the R57.12 Mondo patch and the issue went away! Your mileage may vary.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• I reverted back to R56 and the issue was resolved.

• Yes, same issue. I had been backing up my file manually but since the update have been unable to create source file. I switched the automatic local backup frequency from 0 to 1 and it seems to be working fine now.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Our teams are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. Once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Also, please be aware that have removed the AWS link for the patch that was posted above for security reasons. While the link is legitimate, our teams prefer for it not to be posted as the Community is a public forum that is accessible to anyone. If you wish to try the patch, please reach out and we will send it to you directly via a private message instead.

Thank you!

(QWIN-23661)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭

@splasher, no, not using QMobile/QWeb.

@miklk, initially, yes, I was trying to backup to a NAS device that I have been backing up to for quite some time. After the update broke the backup feature, it didn't matter what device I was trying to backup to (e.g., the same C drive Quicken is on but different folder, USB flash drive, NAS, etc.) because none of them work. The only solution that did was downgrading version.

Hope that helps and thanks. :)

• splasher

@ZABA I did not get my update via the offer that happens from inside the program, but I downloaded the mondo patch from here:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.57.12MPatch.EXE and I don't have the issue.

Are you up to trying an experiment and download and run the mondo patch to see if that changes anything? Someone else posted somewhere that after they did the mondo patch, they could back up.

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭

Version R57.16 offered this morning. It fixed the problem so far…

• splasher

• RogerMontemayor
    edited June 15

Release notes from the latest version:

• RogerMontemayor

R57.16 fixed my backup problem, but reset the count (1-99) on the number of times running Quicken before issuing a manual backup reminder. The fix reset this to zero. I changed it back to 1, and I am now getting the backup reminder every time I exit Quicken.

• splasher

@RogerMontemayor

Thanks for the post. Did you apply it and did it fix it for you?

• RogerMontemayor

@splasher, yes, see my comment above.

• lmericle
    lmericle Member

Updating Quicken to 57.16 fixed this problem for me.

• Ps56k2
    edited June 15

well - it appears that R57.16 is a hotfix for the backup issues….

[Removed - Disruptive/Internal Info/Violation of Community Guidelines]

• miklk

Be grateful they fixed an urgent problem into the weekend.

• Ps56k2
    edited June 15

[Removed - Disruptive/Violation of Community Guidelines]

• miklk

Hey, they are trying

• Copolite
    Copolite Member

Same problem after updating to version 57.12

This discussion has been closed.