R57.12 Backup fails- Unable to create the destination data file / Unable to Open source file (edit)

Ed V
Ed V Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I installed Quicken version 57.12 and since then my backups stopped working. Every time I run a backup it ends with a dialog box "Unable to create the destination data file." followed by "File NOT backed up."

I've changed backup locations to a different folder, different drive with no success.

Anyone else seeing this? Help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Our teams are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. Once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Also, please be aware that have removed the AWS link for the patch that was posted above for security reasons. While the link is legitimate, our teams prefer for it not to be posted as the Community is a public forum that is accessible to anyone. If you wish to try the patch, please reach out and we will send it to you directly via a private message instead.

Thank you!

(QWIN-23661)

Answers

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Updated to R57.12 just now to test and I don't have an issue with doing a backup. I'd say it was a free space issue, but if you tried a different drive and it had plenty of space, it kind of rules that out.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I did notice that the backup frequency got reset to 0 with the update on my system. It needs to be set from 1 - 99. (There's also a new in-progress popup that tells you what's happening.)

• Ed V

Drives have plenty of space, backup frequency set to 1. I validated and the file is OK. Not sure what's happening.

• RogerMontemayor
    RogerMontemayor Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 12

I am having the same issue after updating to R57.12 this morning. I am running Windows 10. The backup drive has over 1TB of free space. I tried to backup on another external hard drive (which has even more free space) and the backup failed also. The new popup window is displayed, and the backup tries to run for about 30 seconds, and then I get the "Unable to create the destination data file" error message. I also tried to backup on my c: drive, but I get the same error message. I backup my Quicken file every single day, and this has never happened until I updated to the new R57.12 version this morning.

I was able to do a Windows copy of the Quicken file, which is over 3GB. My backups in the last week have all been a similar size. I do have a lot of attachments, if that makes any difference. My data file has data since 1995. I am running Windows 10 Professional, version 22H2.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I do have a lot of attachments, if that makes any difference.

I have no idea if would affect the backup (I sort of doubt it), but you can sure that almost all the space taken up in that data file is the attachments.

Note that I would suspect some kind of change/problem with them just accessing the drives. A "backup" is really just a copy of your Quicken data file with a different name and type.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PhoenixGlassInc
    PhoenixGlassInc Member ✭✭
    edited June 13

Worked great before the update! After reading on this forum looks like this has been a problem for other people but I know nothing changed except this update! Waiting on support now.

• Chris_QPW

By any chance is your data file stored in a "Cloud folder"?

Signature:
  • pauldev
    pauldev Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have the exact same issue. I updated to version R57.12 Build: 27.1.57.12. I even went through the recommended suggestion for the BOT chat.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

OR, is the primary file stored in a folder controlled by OneDrive or another "automatic backup" product?

During a backup, Q temporarily closes the data file to force all write operations to conclusion, then re-opens it for the backup. OneDrive, and others, grab the data file during this close and prevent Q from re-opening it … thus the error message shown.

The remedy is to move the Q data file out of that folder and direct the backups to that folder.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rapidtrax
    Rapidtrax Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I experience the issue on windows 10 but not on Windows 11.

• pauldev

Support had me install this previous version and that solved my backup issue.

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.56.9MPatch.EXE

• gkbergen
    gkbergen Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same problem after latest update to R57.12 today. My mistake for updating so quickly. In fact the old backup file that was in my USB drive before update is now completely missing. I was able to create a Copy or Template file. Not sure if this is the same as a complete backup.

• Chris_QPW

Copy or Template is different in that with Backup they just use Windows copy into the new file so internally it is identical to the original. With Copy or Template they copy the database record by record leaving records that are marked deleted behind, and also they disable all the online services. It also gives it a new unique file Id, so it will not be connected to the original "Quicken Cloud dataset", which means it will not be connected to the original "Sync to Mobile/Web" data if you were using that feature. You will have to reconnect any online services that you had setup.

One can do a "backup" of the data file by just using Windows File Explorer and then change the type from .QDF to .QDF-Backup. The .QDF-Backup type tells Quicken to do a "restore" when it is opened instead of just opening it which is what would happen if you leave it at a .QDF file type.

In this other thread support had a person install the last version and that fixed their problem.

Signature:
  • ZABA
    ZABA Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Very similar. I have been backing up to a NAS with a ton of space for to some time without issue. Soon as I upgraded to R57.12 I cannot backup to that drive or any other (e.g, internal HD, flash drive, the aforementioned NAS). I keep getting this error:

• ZABA
    ZABA Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited June 12

Same issue. Backing up from a C drive to external for a while now. Upgraded to latest release today and now I always get "Unable to open source file". I can't backup to any drive. Windows 10 using Quicken Premier R57.12. I've validated my file, it was fine, and backups still won't work. The only thing different was the upgrade performed today.

I'm worked around it by a scheduled batch file to manually backup the file, but there has to be a better solution. I then tried the older patch above and that solved the issue, but, presumably, I'm going to have to update to the latest version.

• gkbergen
    gkbergen Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Thank you, Chris_QPW. That patch from the older version fixed the problem. Us diehard Quicken users can get very antsy when things don't go according to plan.

For those of you that don't know how, copy the patch link into your browser address bar. It will want to download the patch file in one of your folders. Let it download and then click on the file it downloaded. It will open just like a Quicken update, but update it to a R56 version.

• pauldev

I was advised by support that the developers are aware of the issue and that the current version would not get applied going forward until a fix is in place. I am on Windows 11.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12

That R56 patch from the older version fixed the problem.

but then - next time you open Quicken it will try and download the latest R57 version -
    UNLESS - you have taken steps to stop software being auto installed - via the Windows User Access Control settings -

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13

I noticed this morning that when I did a Quicken Backup the process is NOW different under R57.12.

Under R56.9 and previous, Quicken closed the data file (screen was blanked except for the top most menus), the backup was done and then the data file was re-opened.

Now, under R57.12, the backup pop-up windows are shown to get approval to do the backup, but whatever was open in Quicken (like a register) stays visible. It would appear that the data file is not closed to do a backup now.

I see nothing in the R57.12 Release Notes that states anything was done to the backup process.

SO, THE BOTTOM LINE IS, QUICKEN CHANGED SOMETHING IN THE BACKUP PROCESS AND DIDN'T TELL US AND IT IS AFFECTING SOME USERS DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHERS.

[edit - fix typo in release #]

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Daniel_USA
    Daniel_USA Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I am having this problem too after updating to Quicken R57.12. I normally create a backup to a separate drive (including the date) each time I do a Quicken download. Now I get a message that states: "Unable to create the destination data file." I hope the folks at Quicken address this issue.

• BrittMayo
    BrittMayo Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Backup seems to have worked properly for me (very long-time user, W11). I do notice, however, that the backup file is about 6% larger than previous backups, which makes me think that something structural may have changed. Nothing I have done in Quicken would likely account for that growth.

• aebingham2
    aebingham2 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same problem for me, tried everything I could think of … same error over and over. Windows 10.

• RogerMontemayor
    RogerMontemayor Member ✭✭✭

I used the link above to re-install the previous version (R56.9), and then changed Windows User Access Control settings to always notify me when an app tries to install software (the "always notify" option), and I am now able to back up my data again. And, when I start Quicken, it does not automatically try to re-install the R57.12 update (although it does show up when I click on Help/Check for Updates).

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

As these types of release level errors get reported on the forum by different users -
    I wonder what the "team" is told as far as when to report an observed "problem" as found by multiple Quicken users….

What is the feedback loop from forum users —> admin team —> software dev

• Baseken
    Baseken Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Installed R57.12. Attempted to save a backup on an external hard drive. The same backup failure occurred. Called tech support twice. Both times the rep was not aware of any software issue. Went through multiple iterations of changing external drives, copying file and then attempting to do a backup with the new file each time getting the same result (definition of insanity).

• miklk
    miklk Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

They DID some behind the scenes changes to Backup.

It is working properly for me BUT based on comments here, it messed up something.

• Ed V

@Chris_QPW, my files are stored locally and not in any OneDrive or shared folder.

• hj.rose.tx
    hj.rose.tx Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited June 13

No changes made to my system configuration since last back up.

• tlsher
    tlsher Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Came here to see if anyone else is getting the same message.

• miklk
    miklk Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
This discussion has been closed.