Dropbox Offer is For One Year Only

a1newman
a1newman Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited July 25 in The Water Cooler

My extra 5GB Dropbox vanished and the coupon code was identified as already been used. I called Quicken support and asked to get a new code and was told the offer was only good for 1 year and not upon renewal. I asked for clear evidence and was supplied by email the following:

So not only are they raising the price, but they are also getting rid of a benefit. As I have been having difficulty with Quicken on my main investment accounts, this additional negative makes it even more likely that I will need to choose some other means of managing my stuff.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13

Sorry, but they are not "getting rid of a benefit." That benefit was for a limited time only…1 year…and you used it. So they are not taking anything away that you are entitled to have.

You might want to consider doing a search for "best free cloud storage". There are a number of free cloud storage options that provide 10GB-20GB of free storage. Google Drive gets good reviews and provides 15GB of storage. MS OneDrive provides 5GB of free storage which can be upgraded to 100GB+ of free storage if you subscribe to MS 365. There is no reason why you need to stay with DropBox if it is not going to meet your storage needs.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 12

@Boatnmaniac If you no longer get a new code when you renew, that's a change. You used to get a new Dropbox code when you renewed your Quicken sub for another year. Not sure when it changed but here's what Quicken's support page said back in 2022 (courtesy of the Internet Archive):

The Dropbox code will provide one year of additional storage. After one year, upon your renewal of Quicken, you will receive a new code for another year of upgraded storage.

There's no way to know who made the change, though. Perhaps Dropbox used to subsidize these free codes hoping that folks would eventually upgrade to paid tiers with more capacity, and decided not to do so anymore.

• miklk
    miklk Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

I was specifically officially told recently that we do get a new code each year. I haven't called support yet though to follow up. We'll see.

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Here's what the same Dropbox FAQ page says now:

• The Dropbox code will provide one year of additional storage. After one year, if you'd like to keep using expanded Dropbox storage, you will need to visit Dropbox.com to sign up for one of their plans.
    • This is a one-time offer only available to new Quicken subscribers. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/dropbox-frequently-asked-questions/

• Boatnmaniac

Interesting. I've always seen the DropBox additional storage code in my Quicken.com account but I've never used it and I never read up on the scope of the offer in the past. My post above was based solely on the picture posted above by @a1newman.

Still, I think there are better free cloud storage options available if the amount of storage space needed is more than what you can get free from DropBox.

• miklk
    miklk Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

I am surprised as will be the unnamed person that said it will renew yearly when I asked.

No idea if that is a change or crossed wires between dropbox and Quicken.

(I do agree that it is pretty easy to get storage elsewhere but I did expect the offer yearly.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I think @Jon has the correct explanation of what has happened. I would guess that Quicken was paying Dropbox very little, or more likely nothing, for this promotion. Dropbox gave away small amount of free storage in order to attract new users. It was likely always intended as a limited time promotion, and when Dropbox decided it had gotten enough customers — or perhaps not enough — they decided not to further extend the deal. I'm surprised they apparently weren't aggressively trying to send emails trying to convert Quicken free users into paying Dropbox customers.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12

Office 365 (now called Microsoft 365) doesn't provide just 100GB+ of One Drive storage, it provides 1TB of space for up to 5 users (and since you can create an outlock.com account for free you can easily get access to up to 5TB, just not all from the same account. I use one user to host the Quicken patches). And costs $99 a year. It is quite a sweet deal when you compare it to what Dropbox offers just in storage space alone and of course you get the Office suite of applications, Outlook, Exxel, Word, … Both the Desktop and mobile applications:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac

There are three MS 365 plans available ranging in price from $19.95 to $99.99. MS 365 Basic is the lowest cost option and includes 100MB which is why I posted that one can upgrade from the 5GB of free One Drive space to 100MB+ with a MS 365 subscription. BTW, that Family subscription plan you have now includes 1TB per person for up to 6 people, not 5 people.

I have the Personal plan for $69.99/yr which provides 1TB of space for 1 person but that is not why I subscribe to it. I subscribe to it because I want the Office products….mainly Outlook and Excel but also Word and Powerpoint. Excel is such a valuable tool for me when it comes to working with, printing and saving Quicken reports outside of Quicken. I use it extensively in planning/filing taxes. It's also very important in documenting financial accounts, assets and liabilities for my estate because if something were to happen to me my executor would not need to learn how to use Quicken but would instead be able to simply review the latest reports I printed out (done 3-4 times/year) or to open the latest Excel files.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13

@Boatnmaniac I should have checked before posted. You are of course right; I have had it for many years and just assumed that it had the same "single license" that there was when I first signed up. I see that mine has morphed into the family plan.

Mine says:

And:

But I just checked the website and I see:

Like you said. Not that it matters to me, there is just my wife and me, and the patches, so three accounts. And my account that is using the most space is only using about 1/4 of that TB.

EDIT: actually, in that add it seems strange that it is 5 devices at a time, and 6TB (which we know is 1TB per user account).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dfid
    dfid Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I am just reading this thread after a call to support. My extra Dropbox space cancelled without warning and the coupon in Quicken shows as previously used. The one year restriction is not well communicated by Quicken and the Dropbox coupon page is deceptive as it remains under my Help tab without any explanation about it being a one year thing.

I'm a loooong time Quicken user and I find this Dropbox hiccup poor communication on Quicken's part. It's certainly not a reason to change money management software. It's a reason for management to fix the miscommunication.

DF

This discussion has been closed.