auto backup-one step update

aboxbaum
aboxbaum Member ✭✭

as of last update, whenever I run One Step Update, it first runs and automatic backup. Never did that before.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you sure it is a backup?

Quicken/One Step Update does occasionally post a message stating that it is updating to the Quicken Cloud.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭

I have the same issue. Quicken Startup Preference set to "Download transactions when Quicken starts". When Quicken starts to download transactions (One-Step Update) at startup, a pop-up box appears and shows that Quicken is performing an automatic backup of my file. But when I check my backup location after One Step Update completes, no backup was actually created. Why is this backup message happening? Never had this problem before.

• TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭

To follow up my previous post, here is a picture of the auto back up message that appears during one step update. Personal info. redacted. I am not syncing to the cloud. Automatic local backups is off.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Wow, I have never seen that before.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I have the same problem as TexMike. Also, the message stays on the screen and will not turn off.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @TexMike and @Thomas W Hamilton,

To assist with this issue, I tried to replicate it. I'm not able to get that message to come up in my Quicken. Does this happen only during the One Step Update that automatically runs when you open your Quicken program? If not, what else triggers it? Is your Quicken file located directly on your local hard drive, or is it on a shared network drive or an external drive? Do you have your Quicken file synced with any cloud services (such as OneDrive, iCloud, or DropBox)?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25

Please note that there usually is a difference in backup locations, in case you're wondering "where did this backup file go to?"

• An Automatic Backup defaults to a subfolder next to the one containing your current Quicken data file, typically \Documents\Quicken\Backup
    • A Manual Backup goes to a different folder or different drive, as defined by you when you run backup for the first time.
      This backup file location should NEVER be the same as the Automatic Backup file folder or any other folder on your C: - drive. Crash the C: - drive and you lose everything: current file, automatic backups and manual backups

BTW, what is the number in "after running Quicken [xx] times" in your Edit / Preferences / Backup settings?
    This should be a number in the range of 1 - 99.
    A recent change in backup program code (R 57.12 and/or R 57.16) may have caused this number to be incorrectly reset to 0 (zero).
    Please change this number back to 1 (one, recommended) or any other number in the range 1 … 99.
    In their haste to fix a backup - related issue introduced with R 57.12, the programmers may have added another problem on top …

• In Backup, I found the number 5, not 0; changed it to number 1. That seems to have fixed my problem. Thank you UKR 👍

• lizkaese
    lizkaese Member ✭✭

I'm having the same issue with the backup notice appearing .

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @lizkaese,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Are you seeing this happen during One Step Update? Did you check your preferences for backups, as @UKR recommended in an earlier post?

Quicken Kristina

• TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for your help. For whatever reason, the automatic back up that appeared during my initial One-Step Updated stopped without having to do anything on my end.

• Douglasab
    Douglasab Member ✭✭

The same thing is happening to me, I cannot turn of this "Automatic backup" and cannot find it anywhere.

Doug

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Something similar happened to me today for the first time.

I invoked OSU, but OSU did not run. Instead, "automatic copy" ran with the message in the post above. Repeat: OSU did not run. I invoked OSU a second time and it ran perfectly. I wonder what's going on here.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your replies @Douglasab and @Rocket J Squirrel,

Is this "automatic copy" happening randomly, was it a one-off, or is there something that consistently seems to trigger this behavior? There are several ways to initiate One Step Update in Quicken. Which way were you using when you saw the "automatic copy"?

Quicken Kristina

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina This happened only once, yesterday. Today OSU worked as expected. I invoke OSU from an icon in my Tool Bar.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TexMike
    TexMike Member ✭✭✭

The "Creating automatic copy of Quicken data file" has started again during one step update. See attached picture. The first time this happened it was not random. It occurred every time I did a OSU. Then one day it stopped. Now it happening again. See my June 18 and June 20 posts above, My Quicken Startup Preference is set to "Download transactions when Quicken starts". When Quicken starts to download transactions at startup, the "Creating automatic backup" appears and remains visible until OSU has fully completed. When I check my both my backup locations after OSU completes, no backup was actually created. Why is this backup message happening?

• Quicken Kristina
    edited July 12

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. If you haven't already done so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-10405)

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.