American Express Bank - need a code from American express everytime I update! (QMac)

Comments

• mwreagan
    mwreagan Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭

Me too.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited July 1

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

While multi-factor authentication is typically controlled by the financial institution, due to the number of people reporting this behavior, I have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to be further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.  

(CTP-10318)  

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tcburke3
    tcburke3 Member ✭✭✭

same here, but i expected this, American Express and Quicken have had this problem on and off for years. last time it took almost a year to resolve. when i saw they were going to force us to renew our connection, i assumed that this would happen again. the problem is, Quicken should absolutely be aware of this ongoing issue with Amex, should have anticipated it would pop up again, and should know what is constantly causing the problem so it can be easily resolved. no competition = bad product for consumers.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

We have received confirmation from American Express that the MFA prompt for each online account update is working as designed as this is the intended process they have put in place.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Bill Sauter
    Bill Sauter Member ✭✭

Yuck. Many times there is an extraordinary long delay between requesting the code and receiving it - many minutes. Do you request another code and receive two at once. Which do you use. It would be great if they could speed up the provision of the code

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you request that AmEx send the MFA code to? Your cell phone or your email address?
    Requests to my cell phone arrive within a minute.
    Requests to send code to my email arrive quickly, but only if I keep triggering a manual download of new messages repeatedly from my PC's email program. Otherwise, the arrival of the email message may be delayed up to 10 minutes … which is the interval setting in my email program, Thunderbird, to download new emails every 10 minutes.

Unless I make additional savings transfers, there's only one transaction per month, the interest deposit on or about the 28th.
    To avoid needless MFA prompts from AmEx Banking every single day, I deselect the bank's entry in OSU Settings during the month and only request a download once a month.

• Bill Sauter
    Bill Sauter Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply. I have also started deselecting it unless I expect activity. I use texts to my cell phone and usually have to wait "forever" - after 3 minutes or more I make a second request and both responses come together fairly quickly. It's annoying. Thanks.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What email program do you use on your PC?
    In my Thunderbird, the program usually waits for 10 minutes before asking the mail server for new emails.
    If I want to receive new emails immediately, without waiting for the next interval to expire, I need to click the "Get new messages" icon (or press the "F5" key or Shift-F5).
    Doing it this way, I've never experienced the need to request a second code from the bank.

• urherken
    urherken Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

While annoying, I wouldn't mind that much to request and enter the SMS code every time.

Unfortunately, One Step Update now doesn't pop up the entry window for that code anymore. While I do receive the code via SMS from American Express, I have no way of entering it. Interestingly, One Step Update completes without an error message.

If I try to update that account separately, I'm not asked for a code, and the update ends with a failure message that an error occurred on the Quicken Server…

• TEastwold
    TEastwold Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Best case, this new authentication works but totally breaks auto updates (without intervention). Worse case as mentioned it doesn't work at all and either sends no code or quicken never asks for the code sent via text.

This is just another feature taken away or downgraded since they implemented the terrible subscription model. The worst was direct bill pay from Quicken through Chase. This one costs me a lot of time over a typical month. I could go on, but I won't.

• William
    William Member ✭✭

Me too, same issue

• Misterbill
    Misterbill Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

How is this in any way related to the Quicken subscription model??? It's not their fault that AMEX is foolishly forcing 2FA for a data download which should not require it.

This discussion has been closed.