Can I import qif or CSV format data I download from my accounts? [Edited]

Marcov
Marcov Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭
edited August 3 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

If I do not renew my annual Quicken Classic license can I still import QIF or CSV format data I download from my accounts? [Edited]

Also, are the stock prices updated automatically?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 1

Once your subscription lapses, online features including stock price updates will no longer work. So you'll have to update those prices by hand.

Bank downloads will no longer work but I don't know if that includes CSV imports or not. [Edited]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1

I didn't think CSV importing in Quicken Mac was possible except for creating new data files/accounts (only added to allow people from Mint to convert over). [Edited]

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Marcov

What about QIF file importing, does that work? This is not an online feature, since I download or export QIF files from other software myself. The Quicken site info says that exports will continue to work but does not say anything about data file imports if they continue to work or not.

I will not use the Quicken download features if I do not renew my subscription. I did not subscribe since I remember reading in forums that some people could not get a refund within the 30 trial days.

• Chris_QPW

Again, from what I understand the importing of QIF files in Quicken Mac is limited to first time creating of an account. They do not want to support other than QFX format and the other online connection types like Direct Connect/Quicken Connect, which will certainly stop working if you don't have an active subscription.

When they say Quicken Mac can be used in a manual mode after the subscription expires it, they mean manual. As in they expect you to enter every transaction manually.

For the complaint about not getting a refund. From what I can see the refund process is slow, and you have to jump through their loops to get it submitted (not just a simple click or something), but in the end it gets done. And if it doesn't get done through their normal processing Quicken Support can get it done and the Moderators here are sensitive to such statements in the forum and help that process.

Signature:
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited July 1

Hello @Marcov,

According to the Quicken Subscription Membership FAQs:

You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product. You will also see expiration messages within the program (for examples, see How will I know if I need to renew my subscription membership? below). The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only upon membership expiration or cancellation.

Based on that, I would not guarantee that you'd still be able to import files after your subscription expires.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jeeper
    jeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 1

just for clarification - you posted into the Canada Mac section -
    and when your subscription ends - your Quicken screen may have a "renew" banner pasted across the top or the side.
    Also - you may receive a dialog box to encourage you to "renew" - may be different between US & Canada versions.

From previous postings, I think the "online" access to ANY Quicken service or function is terminated.
    This might even include the simple verification of the Financial Institution when you are trying to Import…
    ie - their Quicken Bank ID - which indicates they are a customer of Quicken contracted and supported services…

• Marcov

Oh, well, I've been waiting, like forever, for the Mac version to catch up to the Windows version.
    I would subscribe in a minute if there was a fully compatible version.
    As for the online updates, for security reasons I very much prefer to periodically download myself the files and import them into Quicken for Windows. I'd like to be able to do the same for Quicken for Mac.

Thanks everybody for your help!

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 1

You can. The transactions appear in a new account. Copy/paste then delete the new account. ETA: this is for CSV. Not sure about QIFs in QM.

Don't know about stock prices.

Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭

@Chris_QPW You can import CSVs into existing QM accounts. You can use Notepad to format them according to Mint CSV but I usually use CSVtoCSV from Psoft to get the categories right with a batch edit.

Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • Chris_QPW

This sort of reminds me of the support for QIF imports in Quicken Windows. It seems like they have done everything they could to shut it down but can't completely get rid of it because of the fact that they do want to leave open the possibility of people migrating from other personal finance software. It is more the fact that people have found "creative workarounds" than an intent by Quicken Inc to support this activity. As such, whether this will work or not in the future is open to change at any time. It is certainly not their policy to support it.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.