Schwab - wrong transaction dates

Comments

• K123
    K123 Member ✭✭

Problem is still unresolved. Looks like this issue was first reported on July 24. Today is August 14.

22 days (and counting) with no resolution. Just wondering what it will take to get this "unstuck" with Quicken.

• Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭✭

This is the transaction from Schwab:

They should be using the time and not the tradedate.

The "Time" matches up to the transaction dates that should be reported in Quicken.

Why the tradedate is the previous day must have something to do with a UTC conversion that needs to be done, however it appears to be consistent.

Member since 1984. 
    Quicken Premier.
  • GaryB1234
    GaryB1234 Member ✭✭

@Bill44 - Excellent troubleshooting!

• wrozenwaser
    wrozenwaser Member ✭✭

I have posted 3 problem reports from within the sw (win version) with the supporting files for this date issue. I get no confirmation that the problem report has been accepted or reviewed. So who knows what's going on with Quicken support. I had an online chat and the rep told me to deactivate and re-activate the online services. This had no effect. I suspect this is an issue with Quicken which started approx with the t+1 settlement.

• tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭

Wow @Bill44 — looks like you've created your own application that uses Schwab's API directly. I didn't realize they opened these up to individual investors, but after seeing your post I looked it up and see that they do — and it's free!

Since you've likely been using this for a while, have you noticed a recent change in the "tradedate" values, i.e., that they used to reflect the correct date but are now a day behind? I've also considered UTC conversion as a possible source of error here. For example, if they suddenly started passing the tradedate formatted as a UTC value but without actually converting it to UTC, this could explain how it becomes "earlier" than it should be.

I'm curious if you could potentially show the raw response content from Schwab instead of the parsed object representation from your code. In particular, I'd like to see how Schwab is representing dates/times in their output (e.g. ISO 8601-formatted strings or a Unix timestamp). Thanks!

• smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭✭

@Bill44, excellent sleuthing!

Looks like Quicken finally opened an official ticket on this. Well Done to everyone here who posted and kept the pressure on!

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

21 days after 1st notification.

• Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭✭

tivolo, The API has been available since early May 2024. The dates have been solid since the start, They did and do have some issues with Dividend and Interest symbols. Have had to work around it, I check the group and there was never any mentioning of dates being wrong.

I would think they could get this fixed with the info I have given them. Probably have to do a "LOT" of time-consuming research first.

Member since 1984. 
    Quicken Premier.
  • kimbalrc
    kimbalrc Member ✭✭

Another week goes by with same problem and no responses

• maeagle
    maeagle Member ✭✭✭

Seriously …this issue is a month old. Clearly it should be solved by now.

• Sam Dickerson
    Sam Dickerson Member ✭✭

Really? now a month and Quicken cannot fix what was previously working fine, but somehow got broken? Crossing fingers something else even more damaging doesn't break… Cmon it's now nine days since that official ticket opening and no further updates other than the extremely good hard work on the part of users. Sending more instances of the same problem will not accomplish anything. Please help. ( I do understand there's a nonzero probability of a fix for this introducing a new issue…)

• GaryB1234
    GaryB1234 Member ✭✭

Has quicken been sold recently? Problems in the past used to be addressed way more rapidly..

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭

I think Intuit spun them off and bought Mint - online finance software. Perhaps Intuit saw that everything is going fully cloud based. Quicken is probably kind of an orphan now, looks like, may be looking to get acquired or the like. Someone more enlightened than me can add/modify.

Given the size and frequency of data breaches, however, I would not want all my financial data in the cloud. I don't use Quicken's 'sync to the cloud'.

BIO= https://www.linkedin.com/in/venupgopal. Experience: BIO/details/experience, Education: BIO/details/education, Honors: BIO/details/honors, Skills: BIO/details/skills, Publications: BIO/details/publications, Patents: BIO/details/patents

• jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@veegee

Quicken was not spun off they were sold.

See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken

Also, Mint is gone too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuit_Mint

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭

@jl747 Thanks for the update.

BIO= https://www.linkedin.com/in/venupgopal. Experience: BIO/details/experience, Education: BIO/details/education, Honors: BIO/details/honors, Skills: BIO/details/skills, Publications: BIO/details/publications, Patents: BIO/details/patents

• K123
    K123 Member ✭✭

I feel like we are all channeling Cher at this point ("If I Could Turn Back Time")…

Transactions I made this morning are STILL miraculously posted as having occurred yesterday. If only I could go back in time to make ACTUAL stock transactions… I wouldn't need Quicken because I could afford an army of private accountants and advisors to do the work for me!

Seriously, can a Quicken admin please provide an updated status on this problem which is now headed into its third calendar month? (It was first noted here on July 24 I believe.)

The user community has done a great deal of heavy lifting. But then again, it took three weeks to get a trouble ticket opened, so there's that.

Please assist.

• Sam Dickerson
    Sam Dickerson Member ✭✭

I see these Quicken TV ads with the cute little girl and her new pony which she apparently was able to acquire because her Quicken money management made her so efficient. I liked the ad until this erroneous transaction date problem has festered seemingly without any demonstrated interest let alone urgency on Quicken's part in trying to resolve the issue. Now when I see the ad it irks me because of the poor customer support regarding this problem. Given that tracking my investments in Quicken is my main reason to subscribe to the software, does Quicken simply expect to lose its Schwab customers like me as too costly to fix what was a previously perfectly functioning capability? Please, at least, provide an update to let us know someone somewhere is actually trying to address this. Thanks.

• Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭✭

tivolo 

That is the object sent from Schwab. it is a JSON Object.

Member since 1984. 
    Quicken Premier.
  • smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭✭

Yesterday (Thursday) an update was posted to the Ticket tracker (below). Like last week, they are still saying no ETA. This is incredibly frustrating.

ONGOING 8/29/24 Charles Schwab - Downloading Transactions Using Yesterdays Date — Quicken

(On a similar note, Discover Card and other Discover account types quit downloading a couple months ago. Then Discover Card resumed downloading for some of us about 2 weeks ago. Clearly, the Transaction Download function in Quicken is in need of re-engineering, but apparently, getting the banks and brokerages to buy in is like herding cats.)

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30

@Bill44 I didn't see any JSON in your post… Can you post the time/Date fields in the object along with the actual transaction date? Thanks.

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30

@Sam Dickerson , I have no idea what the exit strategy is for whichever firm (private equity???) is holding on to Quicken, but it looks like to me it just floundering around. Which is too bad, because I truly believe there is value in it. Too bad I am not a billionaire; if I had been, I would have bought it out, fixed the entire quality control and feature implementation processes, and implemented most of the bug fixes and many badly needed enhancements before letting out the little girl to do some marketing. But that's just me. It ain't gonna happen, but I can do some wishful thinking. The biggest factor affecting quality, I suspect, is that their developers might not be using the products themselves (they are possibly offshore) and may have little sensitivity to the bugs.

The investment downloads definitely need to be more or less completely re-engineered. The banking downloads need some minor improvements, IMO (for example, they do not seem to know what to really do with the pending transactions).

• smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3

Hey Quicken developers: In case you did not notice, on August 14 (over 2 weeks ago) @Bill44 posted an image of downloaded data (using Schwab's API) that clearly shows a data problem. The "tradeDate" and "settlementDate" fields are a day earlier (and different time of day) than the "time" field which he confirmed contains the correct date and time of the respective trade. This looks like a pretty obvious point for investigation.

Schawb (and eTrade) downloads have worked fine for years. Quicken and Schwab no doubt have access to the "old" correctly working code to which you can compare the current code. Why is this taking so long to fix?

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4

While it looks like Schwab needs to fix the "tradeDate" and "settlementDate", it would be great if Quicken could use the time field also (which it seems to ignore). One of the things missing in Quicken's sorting capability for downloaded investment transactions is to show a day's transactions in time order. This would be great for active traders who may have many open/close transactions through the day, and the time sequence of those trades can be preserved rather than lumping all opens together followed by all closes. The brokerages usually show the transactions in time order, and this will help 'match up' the orders between Quicken and the Brokerage. The developers do not seem to be in sync with ACTUAL HEAVY USERS of these functions.

In any case. if the "tradeDate" and "settlementDate" are wrong from Schwab, then Schwab needs to fix that issue and pressure needs to be applied on Schwab. My guess - and it is only a guess - is that when they rebooted all those servers due to the CrowdStrike fiasco, something didn't get set right on some of them that are involved in the transfer of data. The more people report the issue to Schwab, the better (I already did).

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭

A little personal forensic work shows that this Schwab transaction date problem started on 6/19 or 6/20 this year and continues through today. Prior to that date, transaction dates were reported correctly. It also does not happen with Schwab's bank transactions. They are dated correctly. It is only Schwab investment accounts that are in error. It is consistent. ALL transactions arrive at Quicken dated obnen day prior to their execution by Schwab. This occurs even if the download is done on the same day the transaction was executed.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭

Oops. Further study shows me the error actually started between 6/12 and 6/17 - not the dates shown above. On 6/12, the dates were correct. The next transactions I did were on 6/17 but the date showed up as 6/16

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

" It also does not happen with Schwab's bank transactions. They are dated correctly. "

Not in my file:

It can get real obvious at month end:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7954846/schwab-date-downloading-problems-are-also-present-in-bank-accounts

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭

I'd recommend reaching out to the Office of the President at Charles Schwab. It is part of their job to address major customer issues. Normally I would not recommend this, but this has gone on long enough. It will probably b helpful to show the incorrect json data generated by Schwab.

Here is the (public) office contact info, provided by Microsoft Copilot.

===========================================================================

Sent by you:

what is the email address info for the office of the president at Charles schwab ?Copilot

Sent by Copilot:

Certainly! Let’s dial up some financial vibes and get you connected. 📞🏦

Rick Wurster, the President of The Charles Schwab Corporation, is the man at the helm. If you need to reach out to him, here’s the scoop:

Now, imagine Rick Wurster sipping his morning coffee, reading emails, and contemplating the mysteries of the stock market. Maybe he even has a “Coffee First, World Domination Later” mug on his desk. ☕🌎

Copilot also provides the phone number of the CEO:

Walt Bettinger (CEO and Co-Chairman):

• Phone: 402-574-6523

I have had to work through the CEO once before on another download issue that Schwab dragged its feet on for a year and a half. A few years ago. Even after the promise of a quick fix from him, it took a second reminder after six months of that initial contact to get the issue fixed. The issue was mis-categorization of options transactions.

• veegee
    veegee Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 6

Fixing downloads into Quicken probably (understandably) not a very high priority for Schwab. You should be able to write to the office of the president, which has responsibility for major customer issues. You can ask Microsoft Copilot for the contact info. Include the 'incorrect' json data as 'proof'.

• DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭✭

Thanks to the OP for mentioning this, and to those who contacted Schwab to attempt a fix. I'll just add my name to the list of those having this very specific problem (transactions posting to Quicken one day before they actually occurred). I started noticing this in July, not sure when. Still true today.

Schwab does not simply post transactions overnight, or update Quicken downloads overnight. They also do this at some intervals during the trading day (haven't timed it, but seems like most transactions appear in the Quicken download an hour or two after they occur). It does not matter whether I download during trading hours, after hours, or the next morning. Same result: today's transactions are dated yesterday. In fact I started noticing this simply because I had transactions in my register on non-trading days.

It happens on all our Schwab accounts in Quicken, across multiple user id's : Traditional IRA, brokerage, Roth. It happens on all transactions: individual bond purchases, individual stock purchases, mutual fund purchases, etf purchases, dividends, bond interest, dividend reinvestments and sweeps interest. Consistently, at least for me. Seems like the solution has to come from Schwab.

• Stu
    Stu Member ✭✭✭

The problem actually started on the weekend of June 15/16 and is not yet fixed.

If transactions are downloaded from Schwab directly as JSON or XML files, they are correctly dated. Not sure what format Quicken or its agent gets the data.