Classic Subscription vs Simplifi Decision

bruce3404
bruce3404 Member ✭✭
edited August 27 in Before you Buy

I Run Q2016 on One PC and A Laptop. I am considering buying a new laptop, but I know I won't be able to use the old tricks to 2016 onto my new laptop, thus I am considering a subscription. Not sure that Simplifi will work, because it's cloud based and the descriptions indicate it might not work overseas. Given that my usual travel is overseas, may I log in through a VPN with a US location selected? Will it be easy to transfer the 2016 data with a flash drive? Please note that I've been a user for 30 years, thus there's a lot of data to transfer. I don't have much use for most of the classic Quicken stuff as I simply use Quicken now to track loans I make and keep my bank accounts in order. I've never used Quicken Pay, the investment tracking, anything exterior related to my bank accounts or tax tracking. I do like bill reminders and the automatic entry of similar payment amounts into my accounts every month Everything is telling me to go with Simplifi except that it seems there could be issues overseas and maybe some of my above-described usage won't work. If so, I'll just pay double and transfer data with a flash drive as I've been doing for years while assuming an easy transition. I appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 26 Answer ✓

You can't transfer your Quicken data to Simplifi; if you want to start using Simplifi instead of Quicken you're basically starting over.

I don't know about overseas stuff. You'd probably be better off asking that question on the Simplifi forums rather than here.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello @bruce3404,

It looks like most of your questions have already been answered. To answer your question about using Quicken Simplifi overseas, based on this article, the answer is no (Quicken Simplifi is not intended to be used outside the US & Canada, and a VPN isn't a guaranteed work-around).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 26 Answer ✓

You can't transfer your Quicken data to Simplifi; if you want to start using Simplifi instead of Quicken you're basically starting over.

I don't know about overseas stuff. You'd probably be better off asking that question on the Simplifi forums rather than here.

• bruce3404
    bruce3404 Member ✭✭

Thanks, Jon. That answers my question 100%. Guess I'll test drive the Classic version.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

@bruce3404 - You should know that installing your QWin 2016 on a new computer will likely not be successful. A few years ago Quicken made a change in their system regarding activation of software and that change was not backward compatible with QWin 2014-2017. Since these versions of Quicken are no longer supported Quicken has not and is not going to do anything to address this issue.

The issue is that when you install QWin 2014-2017 and try to open your data file you will get a blank white screen. There are a couple of potential workarounds. Some have reported that these workarounds resolve the issue for them but others have reported that they do not. Here is a very recent thread (last updated today) on this subject listing what the options are (click on the date to view the whole thread):

If you do decide to upgrade to Quicken Classic Subscription, you should also note that you need only one subscription. It will allow you to download, install and activate Quicken Classic on both of your computers for just one subscription price.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

Search on:

How to install Quicken 2016 to New Computer

There are numerous posts here…. one I read said it would install but you must not be connected to the internet when installing and after that installation you install a modo patch for 2016…. others here are more versed in this question than I….. just mentioning there are threads here that discuss this question in more detail.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• bruce3404
    bruce3404 Member ✭✭

Yikes. Well that's scary considering I have decades of data. Granted that most of it is irrelevant today, I'd hate to have to start over and copy everything I need. In fact, that would be a nightmare that might take months. The mondo patches don't seem to work anymore, which is real upsetting since I'd just continue using 2016 forever. However, it is inevitable that before I die I will replace a PC or laptop. I might just have to bite the bullet, keep a flash drive back up of 2016 and leave 2016 on two computers, hoping they never crash. I'll review some of the old threads and I suppose I could just take the 30 day trial and quit if nothing transfers. Thanks for the heads up, guys

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello @bruce3404,

It looks like most of your questions have already been answered. To answer your question about using Quicken Simplifi overseas, based on this article, the answer is no (Quicken Simplifi is not intended to be used outside the US & Canada, and a VPN isn't a guaranteed work-around).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bruce3404
    bruce3404 Member ✭✭

Good news, folks. I was able to purchase Quicken Classic and download all my old 2016 files. In fact, it was seamless (now I wish I would have bought it from Amazon for $30 less, but Amazon didn't guarantee, so I guess I paid $30 for insurance).

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

@bruce3404 …. glad you got it going your way.

If I might just offer 1 suggestion:

Set up your new computer to not automatically install updates. You can then choose when to install updates or if Quicken does all you need it to do you can choose not to install updates at all.

Google "How to stop Windows from automatically updating". Also there are lots of YouTube videos…

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

This discussion has been closed.