Discover card not working - what is the real situation?

Discover customer service tells me that Discover will no longer work with Quicken.

Conversely, the Quicken moderator below states "we have confirmed an issue…"

Is it an issue or does Disover no longer work with Quicken at all?

Please help; thanks!

(Per the below, Quicken is "working on the problem:")

Quicken Janean Moderator adminAugust 16 edited August 16

We have confirmed an issue with users trying to connect with Discover Card receiving CC-502 in Quicken Classic for Windows and FDP-102 in Quicken Classic for Mac.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I wouldn't trust the answer from a random Discover customer service representative; if they state this on their website as an official policy, or if you've talked with tier 2 tech support with someone who has direct knowledge of the situation, those would be more credible. Similarly, the Quicken Alter posted by the moderator is only reporting what you already know about Discover not connecting, and acknowledging that Quicken is aware of the issue.

No one here knows exactly what is going on behind the scenes; it's only fellow users and the small moderator team.

I would guess that it's an issue which will be resolved at some point, but I couldn't venture a guess about when. If Discover were to permanently ban Quicken and other third-party applications, I think we'd see a number of announcements about that, from both sides.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MoniK
    MoniK Member ✭✭

Jacobs, thank you for your quick and lucid response. I believe I spoke with a Discover rep purportendly in the web support area who was reportedly the one to speak with regarding downloading issues. That said, I really did not trust that he is correct in what he so firmly stated as fact. Re Quicken, I agree, the moderator is only acknowledging an issue.

Re announcements regarding Discover dropping Quicken connectivity: where would these be posted, in your opinion?

Thanks again. Not sure if this posts as a reply to your post, as I am new to this forum and of course there are no guides or explainers to assist.

• MoniK
    MoniK Member ✭✭

Which is the correct one to use to connect to a Discover credit card account?

• jacobs

Re announcements regarding Discover dropping Quicken connectivity: where would these be posted, in your opinion?

@MoniK If that turned out to be true (which would surprise me), there would be a post by Quicken in the Alerts section of this forum, and there would undoubtedly be other posts by upset users in the main discussion part of the forum. If you go to the official Alert message from Quicken, you can click the little ribbon icon at the top right of the first post, and you'll then get emails if Quicken posts more about the issue.

• MoniK
    MoniK Member ✭✭

Thanks, I did click the ribbon icon previously on the Quicken alert to get emails about this. Just corious - are you a Discover credit card Quicken user? Understand if that is TMI to provide.

• jacobs

@MoniK No, sorry, I don't use Discover card.

• J~!
    J~! Member ✭✭

I spoke with 3 different Discover reps yday…. They were unaware of any issue. My Discover download has not worked for several weeks if not months, due to CC-800 error. ~Ten days ago a Quicken tech was able to get it working again, after others had failed, but it lasted for 2-4 days and now gets the CC-502 error, though in one effort to set it up, Quicken gave a CC-501 error and said contact Discover. With the CC-800 error and now with the CC-502, I was given a link by Quicken tech to watch for posts, to no avail. There have been no updates on it since 8/16.

• Tpro
    Tpro Member

After reading previous recent comments. I just tried to download my Discover transactions….. and it worked!! Thanks to everyone for your efforts.

• DaveKStL
    DaveKStL Member ✭✭

I just updated mine this morning and it worked!

7:15 AM CDT

• Mine has also resumed downloading transactions to Quicken

• Yes, link to Discover Card also worked for me this morning. I only lost it for a couple days, but it has been spotty since I started using Quicken in early May. I would often get the CC-502 error, then immediately try again and it would work.

• MoniK
    MoniK Member ✭✭

Was able to relink Discover card accounts today - hopefully it will "stick"!

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, if you are receiving the CC-502 error or FDP-102 error, these are usually temporary traffic throttling by Discover. I suggest trying again at a different time to see if this resolves the issue and errors. Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I was able to set up the online services today. Happy that the download is working again.

• zot100
    zot100 Member ✭✭✭

One of the issues with Discover and AMEX is that when setting up the download or reinstituting a download is that there are multiple options available when adding the account back to Quicken.

Past experience shows that totally disconnecting all accounts associated with the problem institution and then re-adding them using the "+" or Add Account function rather than setting up the download up again from within the Quicken account in question

with "Edit Account Details' and "Online Services" works best.

In the case of Discover there are three main option to select from the "+" or "Tools" » 'Add Account' option in the Menu.

1. Discover Card ( Doesn't seem to be effective for credit card transaction download )
    2. Discover Card Account Center
      1. Works for Discover Credit Card and downloads all unmatched transactions and pending items
      2. Does not find The Discover High Yield Savings Account
    3. Discover Bank
      1. Works for High Yield Savings Account
      2. Finds the Discover Credit Account, But DOES NOT download the transactions although it does appear to update the Balance

Unfortunately Quicken doesn't provide enough information about Which option is needed when the Institution has multiple products requiring different selections. Additionally, Quicken needs to remove options that no longer work or have become obsolete.

All of the above seemed to fully complete the process of adding the account(s) back to quicken ( and match to an existing account without losing anything ) But unless the correct option was selected the transactions didn't download.

• blmatthews
    blmatthews Member ✭✭✭

This didn't work for me a few days, but starting yesterday (or maybe the day before), it started working again. I tried it just now, and the update succeeded and downloaded a transaction (the only there should have been to download). I only currently have a Discover Card at Discover, so don't know if it would have worked with a savings account there.

I'm on a Mac using Quicken 7.8.2 (Build 708.53926.100).

• crgdr2
    crgdr2 Member

Here’s what I did a few days ago. I have no idea if this is what solved the problems with Discover and my other accounts but it worked afterwards.

I first went to my non-Discover checking account and saw something called “Plaid” that was an allowed app added in June. I don’t remember adding it and still have no idea how it got there. I deleted it. Then I disconnected all of my Quicken accounts and loaded my last backup done in July. I then reconnected each one individually, saving my checking and Discover accounts for last. It then worked <shrug>. I immediately saved a backup on a flash drive and quit Quicken. I haven’t logged back in yet to see if it will work again because I don’t have hours to again spend to mess around with it. I like Quicken Classic for Mac and hope they can fix it soon. My renewal is coming up in September and it might be time to look elsewhere but I didn’t find anything that I liked better than QCfM a couple of years ago.

• Dougie
    Dougie Member ✭✭

No Discover Card transaction downloads or error messages since 7/15/2024. I have one logon for the card plus two Discover Bank accounts. When I called Discover Card about a week ago, I was told it must be a Quicken issue and to deal with Quicken. She did confirm that there is an ongoing relationship between Discover Card and Quicken, for what that's worth. Film @ 11.

• crgdr2
    crgdr2 Member

I had problems mid-August. Discover Savings kept transferring money (without debiting the account)to my local checking account in Quicken on my laptop. I was quite rich for an hour or so!

• tompfr
    tompfr Member ✭✭

No, it's not true that Discover no longer works at all with Quicken, but it is true that maintaining a reliable download connection with Discover accounts has been quite problematic for many many months now, and for many many users.

For myself, I have simply disabled downloads from my Discover Credit card for the last 3 months now, and no longer use the card. It was just too much trouble dealing with the almost constant problems. And I tried everything. On the other hand, I do have 5 accounts with Discover Bank that are working great, and especially since I disabled the credit card.

I check in here once in a while to see if things are looking better, but it still looks like just more of the same stuff that I started seeing months and months ago….

• smess
    smess Member ✭✭

I noticed that several charges from my Chase Visa downloaded into my DiscoverCard count, but only those from Sam's Club. Very strange, but wonder if this is somehow related.

• krsnet
    krsnet Member ✭✭

Quicken Classic for Mac v7.8.2 (Build 708.53926.100) on MacOS 14.6.1 stopped downloading Discover account transactions on Aug 16, 2024. I've disconnected/reconnected, tried to force downloads from Aug 16, etc… with no luck. Hoping mine magically starts working again soon.

• Discover seems to be working