Red Flag shows transactions to review, but nothing in Download window

James Simmons
James Simmons Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

This recently started (last few days) and I can't resolve it.

Build= 27.1.58.9

I have red flags by numerous accounts (both banking and investment). Clicking on the flag shows one or more transactions to review/accept. Tools—> Online Center lists the transactions awaiting review. However, in all affected accounts, the Downloaded Transactions window shows 0 items to review & accept into the register.

I have to do the following in each flagged account to get the transactions into the registers:

1. Go to Account Details—> Online Services
  2. Set Automatic Entry: ON; The red flag clears but downloaded transactions are in limbo.
  3. Exit and restart Quicken. Upon restart, the downloaded transactions appear in the register.
  4. Go to Account Details—> Online Services
  5. Set Automatic Entry: OFF

The next time I perform transaction download, the whole process must be repeated, as flagged accounts with transactions to review have 0 entries in the downloaded transaction window.

I have verified my data file, even restored an earlier backup of my data file. I have not uninstalled/reinstalled Quicken as I'm doubtful that would help.

I've never allowed Automatic Entry in the past and don't want to enable it now. I haven't found a solution in the forums and have followed most suggestions to no avail.

Is this possibly a new bug in a recent update?

Thanks,

JS.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @James Simmons,

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like you've gone through most of the troubleshooting for the problem, it gets resolved briefly, but then comes back the next time you download. To continue troubleshooting the issue, please follow these steps from this article on when Quicken says there are transactions but you can't see them:

1. Choose the File menu > Copy or Backup File.
    2. Select Create a copy or template, then click Next
    3. Accept all defaults and click Save Copy.
    4. Open the New Copy when prompted.
    5. Choose the File > Validate and Repair File.
    6. Select the new copy created in step 3 and click OK.

Note: Depending on the size of your data file, you may need to wait a while for the validation process to finish. Do not use the Task Manager to close Quicken. Quicken displays an error message if it cannot validate the file. If Quicken is able to validate the file and any errors are found, Quicken displays a message, "Data losses were found in your file." You can view the log file for more information.

When the validation process is complete, you will need to Reactivate your accounts for transaction download in the new file copy.

1. Go to Tools > Add Account.
    2. Select the bank for the deactivated account(s). If prompted, select the connection method.
    3. Enter your credentials and click Connect.
    4. When the list of located accounts appears, choose LINK next to each account you want to reactivate.
    5. Click Next then Done on the last prompt.
    6. After all of your accounts have been Reactivated, complete the Check the account register... section steps above again.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• James Simmons

Thanks. I'll work through your suggestions and report back. The issue occurs on every download, and for any/all accounts with transactions to review. So review/accept transactions is broken for all "online" accounts.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @James Simmons,

Thank you for providing more information. Please let us know if the troubleshooting steps provided by @Quicken Kristina assist you in reaching a resolution!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• James Simmons

I performed the Copy File, Validate, then reactivated ONE bank account for download in the newly created Quicken file.

After performing a download from the bank, It downloaded 2 new transactions and set the red flag indicating there are 2 new transactions to review.

In Tools—>Online Center it lists the 2 downloaded transactions for review… But still nothing is showing up in the Downloaded Transactions review/accept window.

So your suggested steps didn't have any effect. I did not reactivate my other online accounts

Seems like my only option is to now set all my online accounts to automatic entry=Yes and just review them directly in the register.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Jim

• bgglendale
    bgglendale Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have a similar issue, but mine only affects some credit card accounts. Otherwise, my symptoms are the same. I haven't tried the several steps that were outlined to get the transactions into the register, I have just added them manually.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your replies,

@James Simmons,

The issue you describe is most likely to be a file specific issue. Since making a copy and validating that copy didn't correct the issue, the next thing I recommend is restoring a backup that is further in the past than the one you tried initially (if possible). If the initial backup you restored didn't predate when the issue started, that may be why it didn't correct the issue.

@bgglendale,

If you haven't done so already, I recommend you start troubleshooting by following the steps in this article on when Quicken says there are transactions to accept, but you don't see any:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-says-there-are-transactions-accept-i-do-not-see-any/

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• DOS
    DOS Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have one account (Chase Amazon Prime VISA) that has been showing "red flag" but there are no transactions to review. I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps. If I turn auto entry on the red flag goes away. I restart Quicken after several minutes and the red flag is still gone. I reset auto entry back to off and the red flag promptly returns. I have attempted to deactivate as well as resetting the account but am unable to do so since there are "supposedly" transactions to be reviewed. I followed all the steps involving the "Online Center" without any change. It does not show any transactions. I have been living with this for many months and am only addressing it now because of issues I am having with some transactions not downloading through "One Step Update" or "Update Now". I had to go to my bank's website and download them into Quicken. I have multiple Chase accounts and this is the only one that seems to have an issue. I tried talking to Quicken support on the phone but did not find the person I spoke with helpful. Basically he had me follow all of the previous steps and was satisfied when the flag went away and when it returned he just wanted to uninstall Quicken and start over. I have been using Quicken since it was Quicken for DOS and have many settings that would all have to be re configured. And honestly I am not confident that would solve the problem.

• James Simmons

I may get around to experimenting with older Quicken backups, but thats not a great solution since time moves on and I get many transactions a day in some of my investment accounts. Going back and reprocessing days/weeks of data to get current is not my idea of fun. I don't recall what day the issue started but its been between 1 and 2 weeks ago. If it is a Quicken data problem, then Quicken caused it, since no other software touches that data file. If I set the accounts to automatic entry=yes, everything downloaded shows up in the register after One Step Update. If set to automatic entry=no, nothing (for any account) shows up in the transaction review windows even though the transactions did download.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @DOS,

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like you've done the first few steps of the troubleshooting, but not the final step. To continue troubleshooting the issue, please follow these steps from this article on when Quicken says there are transactions but you can't see them:

1. Choose the File menu > Copy or Backup File.
    2. Select Create a copy or template, then click Next
    3. Accept all defaults and click Save Copy.
    4. Open the New Copy when prompted.
    5. Choose the File > Validate and Repair File.
    6. Select the new copy created in step 3 and click OK.

Note: Depending on the size of your data file, you may need to wait a while for the validation process to finish. Do not use the Task Manager to close Quicken. Quicken displays an error message if it cannot validate the file. If Quicken is able to validate the file and any errors are found, Quicken displays a message, "Data losses were found in your file." You can view the log file for more information.

When the validation process is complete, you will need to Reactivate your accounts for transaction download in the new file copy. I recommend reactivating the problem account first and testing to make sure the issue is resolved before reactivating the other accounts.

1. Go to Tools > Add Account.
    2. Select the bank for the deactivated account(s). If prompted, select the connection method.
    3. Enter your credentials and click Connect.
    4. When the list of located accounts appears, choose LINK next to each account you want to reactivate.
    5. Click Next then Done on the last prompt.
    6. After all of your accounts have been Reactivated, complete the Check the account register... section steps above again.

Please let me know how it goes!

Thank you for your reply @James Simmons,

How much work is required depends on how many manual transactions and manual edits you make in your file. Most financial institutions make about 90 days worth of transactions available for download into Quicken, so I'd expect your connected accounts should be able to redownload everything if you're restoring a backup from a few weeks ago.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• James Simmons
    edited September 16

Thanks for reposting your initial response. I tried all that to no avail. There are numerous Investment transactions that need some manual intervention to make them right in the accounts, so I don't want to have to go back thru them if I download up to 3 months worth of updates. Honestly we shouldn't have to go thru that. I'll just chalk it up to a Quicken BUG and hope it corrects in a future update. :-( I can live with reviewing/correcting transactions in the register with Auto Entry=Yes for the time being.

• James Simmons
    edited September 17

Now the issue has taken a turn for the worse. After setting the Automatic Entry=Yes a few days ago, my account registers were updating with new downloaded transactions. I just needed to review them directly in the register. Today one account, after downloading, is showing a Blue flag in the account list which, when clicked, indicates I have 3 downloaded transactions to review. However, there are NO new transactions in the register, and if I go to Tools—>Online Center, noting is showing there either. The download window doesn't appear, of course, since automatic entry is set to Yes. I'm clueless at this point whats to blame. I've never had issues with Online account transaction download for many years until a few weeks ago. Update—> I went back and logged into my bank to compare the bank's transaction register to Quicken, and I see no new transactions in the Bank that should have downloaded. I restarted Quicken, and the blue flag disappeared, now there are no transactions to review and the register didn't change. Very odd.

• bmbass
    bmbass Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

James,

Do you leave Quicken "open" and don't normally close out of the program? I have noticed that most of the time when I have red flag downloads, but nothing to review/accept it is because I have left Quicken open overnight. When I close out and then reopen the program, the transactions are then visible and I can accept them.

Quicken has some type of "memory leak" problem and if you leave it open for long periods of time, some really weird things happen (more than just the missing downloads). I always close out of Quicken when I am finished and reopen it the next day. Doing this seems to limit the weird behavior.

• James Simmons

@bmbass - Thanks! Actually No. I never leave Quicken open when not actively using it (Old habits die hard). Once I'm done updating, reviewing, etc. I exit the application.

• markus1957
    markus1957 Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

You might try a super-validate. Hold Shift + Ctrl keys while clicking Validate in the menu.

Also, if you have mobile sync on and you don't use it, in the Mobile tab, deselect all of your accounts from Sync.

Experiment updating each account individually. In the account register, use the gear icon to Update Now (spending accts) and Update Transactions for investment accounts.

It sounds like you have a corrupted internal table associated with the downloads. Maybe the super-validate will catch it. The template copy should have. You also might experiment with toggling the setting in preferences to download pending transactions. That sets up a separate tab in the downloads table. Come to think of it, the reminders tab is there also. There is a repair option for online billers in the settings menu of the Bills & Income reminders tab. Corruption in any of those might mess with the downloads tab.

• James Simmons

Thanks @markus1957. I will try some of your suggestions. FYI I don't use Quicken for any Bill-Pay services; Just do it directly thru my Bank and let the transactions download when they post. BTW Mobile & Web Sync has always been set to Off as I strictly use Quicken locally on my desktop PC.

This discussion has been closed.