renaming rules payee contains

Suzanne SW
Suzanne SW Member ✭✭

Over the last couple months Quicken automatically changed a few payees to "NY Times" even though the payee was originally "Clinique New York" and "AP Score Report New York". I just now added a 'do not rename rule" that if a payee contains 'New York', then do not rename.

But I'm wondering how I originally set up the renaming rule so that if payee contains any portion of the downloaded payee. I want to prevent this from happening to future renaming rules.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @Suzanne SW,

To address your concern about how the overly general rule got created, there are a couple ways renaming rules can be created in Quicken.

The first is creating the rule manually. This article provides information on creating, editing, and deleting rules.

The second way is Quicken can automatically learn a rule when you edit a payee (if enabled in Preferences). To see if you have this enabled in your Preferences, go to Edit>Preferences>Downloaded transactions and check the Your renaming rules section.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

A few things to keep in mind for this:

Check your renaming rules to see if you have a rule for "NY Times" as the new payee, and if you do, what the rule is. For instance, if that rule is "Payee contains" or "Quicken name is" something like "New York" then that rule is too generic for your use cases.

Check to see if the "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" preference is selected. If you don't have a renaming rule that matches and this preference is selected, Quicken will guess at what the payee's name should be and can get it wrong.

And last there have been some reports even that when the above don't apply Quicken is still changing the payee names, if that is the case, it is a bug, and you should report it using Help → Report a problem.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/