Reconciliation of Account types - can I change the account type to get the kind of Recon I want?

I am using Quicken Classic Business & Personal for Windows.
I understand the design evolution of the product has different "Reconciliation" affects depending on the Account type. (e.g., Cash is setup to put in a new balance and all tasks are marked as Reconciled, Checking and Savings is a traditional reconciliation - selecting each transaction to be marked as Cleared or Reconciled, Property Asset - put in a new balance and only the adjusting transaction is changed to Reconciled).

Since it seems that there will not be a consistent across the board way that Ctrl-R (Reconcile) will operate across all accounts (or even House vs. Cash), is there a way to change the Account Type so we could begin using the style of Reconciliation we wish to take advantage of?

Main ones for me would be changing a Cash account to a Checking account so I can use the individual transactions to mark as Cleared or Reconciled. Also finding a way for House to mark all transactions as Cleared or Reconciled as Cash accounts do (House would actually work better similar to Checking to have a way to select specific transactions to be marked as Cleared or Reconciled rather than having to do each transaction within the register.)

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @David37211,

To answer your question, there isn't really any way to change account type in Quicken for the use case you mention. There are other details about the accounts that can be changed, but none of those would let you change the type or the way the reconcile works for that account. With connected accounts, typically the account type is determined by the information the financial institution sends to Quicken. With manual accounts, the account type is determined by what you choose when you first set the account up. For more information on account types, please read this help article.

With manual accounts, you may be able to change account type by backing up your Quicken file, then creating a new account with the account type you want, moving the transactions from the old account to the newly created one, and deleting the old account.

If you'd like to see the reconcile function changed, I recommend that you create an Idea post. Ideas that get enough votes may be implemented in the future! For information on creating an Idea post, please click here.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of moving register transactions around, as suggested above, I'd rather you leave the old account register as it now is and do not move transactions. The less transactions you need to move around, the less opportunity there is for something to go wrong.
    Select a good cutoff date, e.g., 10/1/24, to add a new account register of Type = Checking and begin using it instead of the old account. Start the new account with an Opening Balance of 0.00 and transfer the actual balance of the old account to the new account.
    Change any scheduled reminders using the old account to the new account.
    Rename the old account to something like "$-Cash (until 09/30/24)" and mark it closed.
    To move an account from the Banking section of the Account Sidebar to one of the other sections, go into Edit Account Details for this account, select the Display Options button and change the "Account Intent"