Why does Q Sync with the cloud when it is turned off?

DRMick
DRMick Member ✭✭✭

Win-11, R59.6 Intermittentally, when doing OSU, everything stops for a minute while Q is syncing with the cloud. I have Mobile and Web access turned OFF in Preferences. Why does it do this?

Answers

• Frustrated2_
    Frustrated2_ Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

How do you know that Q is synching with the cloud while you have it turned off? Can you attach a screenshot?

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭

During OSU, in the account list box, a pop-up appears "Quicken syncing with the Cloud" with spinning arrows. I cannot make it happen, it is spurious and occurs independently.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @DRMick,

Typically, if you've never had Sync turned on for that file, you should not see that message during One Step Update. However, if the file has previously had Sync turned on, then you may sometimes see that window, even when Sync is turned back off again. This happens because there are still some functions the Quicken Cloud performs even with account sync turned off.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭

I have never turned it on. Since it was OFF, this leads me to believe the default position is Off. What functions does the Q Cloud perform with Sync off? Was this function added on a past update?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

If you have never changed it, then whether it's on or off would depend on what you selected when first creating the file.

Since there aren't any articles that spell out all the functions of the Quicken Cloud, I can't give you a good answer to your question. That said, this post by one of our Super Users may help (Note - Quicken Connect is the Quicken for Mac equivalent of Express Web Connect). You may find this article on the Quicken Cloud helpful also.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DaWeav
    DaWeav Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I would always prefer that the Quicken Mobile & Web 'SYNC' would just stay disabled, BUT, in my experience the Quicken Mobile & Web SYNC 'ALWAYS' re-enables itself whenever I create a new account in Quicken EVEN THOUGH I'M CREATING AN OFFLINE ACCOUNT. So it does not matter whatsoever what account I am creating, Quicken 'ALWAYS' re-enables Mobile & Web SYNC without my permission!!!

So every time I create a new account in Quicken, I have to go through the painstaking task of unselecting the account in Mobile & Web SYNC, then syncing with 0 accounts selected, and then finally resetting the cloud data to wipe out any accounts or transactions that where synced.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I’d like to point out something here, syncing to the quicken cloud isn’t optional. What is optional is what information that is a synced to the cloud and if that data be accessed from the web or mobile applications.

For instance, when using express Web connect or express web connect + the downloading of transactions goes through the quicken cloud, and therefore is synced to the quicken data file. This is true of other services like bill pay and probably several other online services.

so I have noticed every once in a while that I will get that message while doing one step update or it says it is syncing to Quicken cloud, but that does not imply the same sync process as when making your data available through the mobile or Web app.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/