Costco Citi Visa Bank Card fails to connect to Citi bank account

2»

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Note that we don't have a lot of transactions on our Costco account, but it is downloading transactions no matter which connection method used, so it isn't really clear what is preventing this for some people.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14

Getting an online and email confirmation from Citi that your account has been authorized is saying only that as far as Citi is concerned your account has been authorized. But that is not the complete reauthorization process. After Citi.com confirms that your account has been authorized Citi will download new data to Quicken and Quicken will prompt you to decide what to do with that downloaded data….you should be sure to Link it to the account that is already in Quicken.

Did you receive that prompt in Quicken and did you then Link that download to your account in Quicken?

If not, then the reauthorization process was not completed.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭

Not gcmobley, but I did receive the prompt and linked it to the account and nothing happened. So that is where we are on Monday the 14th.

• John24
    John24 Member ✭✭✭

It is a sad day when a key piece of functionality has been down this long with no solution. It was broke, then from some other post I found a work around which fixed the problem only to have Quicken to break it again. It is now in a state where if you go through the defined process. the webpage goes blank, it it spins for hours and hours with no outcome.

• pt216
    pt216 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭
    edited October 18
  • Skyking86
    edited October 18

I'm just putting in a comment that on the 18th, I have given up on trying to fix Costco/CITI bank issues. Still getting the CC-800 error, you may have restored from a backup. Well, of course, because CITI/QUICKEN put a opening balance error into the account and I spent hours trying to reconcile until the post about the opening balance being corrupted. I have gone down three different rabbit holes of fixes, still not working. So, it's been at least two weeks and nothing. . . .

So STILL waiting for Quicken to so something like a REAL fix to this issue or at else, grant us the presumption of intelligence to tell us what the real issue is under the hood.

• gad3
    gad3 Quicken Mac Subscription Member

I cannot connect/download with Citibank Costco Card. I'm currently connected using Direct. When I right click on the account and go to settings and select the account to change it, nothing happens.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and it finally went away.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks, George

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭

As of today, i have not been prompted to "reauthorize" and am still set for Direct Connect, however i have not been able to download any transactions. I just get the generic "error occured" from one step update. Not sure how to find the real error (maybe someone can tell me how to find it). I did get the same pop-up a week ago saying, when promted to "reauthorize" but like i said i have not been prompted yet.

• Skyking86
    edited October 19

I saw this in another post from Quicken: "This alert has been closed due to low activity. However, this issue is still ongoing and is still being investigated."

So keep the conversation going here. EWC+ not working. Apparently DC not working either. OneStep Update lists account, but nothing updates and reports a CC-800 error after several work around attempts and resetting the account, deleting information, linking to existing account, etc. So keep on reporting this. . . Apparently Quicken "runs silent, runs deep" if we don't keep yapping.

"

• AnPann
    AnPann Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have been quicken connection error for my Citi credit accounts for 2 days now. Today I disconnected and now when I try to reconnect by choosing Citi cards online.citi.com and choose direct connect it then throws a message (unexpected error occurred. Please try again later OFX ERROR: 16503

What do I do?

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭

As of this morning, Direct Connect is still not working. I get the general "error has occured" on One Step Update. No specific error. I am not trying anything to deactivate/activate until this is fixed. Still not prompted to reauthorize. i only have my costco credit card with Citi.

• gdweirick
    gdweirick Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have not seen anyone else with the same error code that I am getting. This is for a Citibank Double Cash Mastercard

• gdweirick
    gdweirick Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Again, it does not appear that my issue is as common as others here, but for what it's worth I was able to restore my Citibank Mastercard downloads (Windows) by going to the account list, and selecting 'Edit" next to my Citi card account. Then on the "Online Services" tab, I used the "Reset Account" function. Followed the instructions from there and all is good (for now).

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 21

For those who are still connected to DC or those still trying to connect to DC (perhaps because of a CC-293 error code): Just a reminder that we are now just 2 days from when Citi might no longer be supporting DC at all.:

Since Citi Cards' DC connection has been blocked by Citi for the last 2 days, I decided to proactively take the step of reauthorizing my two Citi credit cards (Citi Costco Visa and Citi Rewards+ MC) with EWC+ this morning. As usual, my first attempts to reauthorize with EWC+ were met with either the white browser screen preventing logging into my Citi.com account or with reauthorization being completed on Citi.com but Quicken not getting the reauthorization….both of which prevent EWC+ from being set up.

I then did what I have done for the last 4 months or so:

• Made sure both of my Citi credit cards were deactivated.
    • Disabled all of my browser extensions (most are security related apps blocking ads, popups, cookies, etc.).
    • Confirmed that my browser popup and cookies settings whitelist/allow/make exception for Citi.com and all other financial institutions that use EWC+. (I had done this months ago but just wanted to confirm that nothing was changed since then.)
    • Clicked on the Citi Cards logo in Add Account.
    • The reauthorization process completed flawlessly and I was able to link the downloads to the accounts in Quicken.
    • Re-enabled the browser extensions.

This process has worked with reauthorizing EWC+ connections 100% of the time for me over the last 4 months, regardless of default browser (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) in not only my main file but also with Citi Cards, Citibank and Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi in two separate test files.

EDIT (10/21/2024): As a reminder, when making a connection change, such as this, Quicken will sometimes change the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount. This is not an issue specific to Citi. If it has not already been done, it is recommended to proactively enter/save the correct Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field. Do this for every Spending account (checking, savings, credit card, etc.) for every financial institution. It will make identifying and fixing this issue, when it has occurred, very easy. And it only needs to be done once.

• Skyking86
    edited October 20

Well, I did all that just now. Killed everything in security that Firefox could do, leaving me open to hacking, which I wasn't pleased about, but I gave your technique a good try. Deauthorized/deactivated the account. Add account. CITI bank did it's thing just fine. Quicken: It populated the added account in details.

It did everything it should. EXCEPT….

It did NOT move any of my manually added purchases to cleared or reconciled. They are still waiting.

It did not download anything new.

and. . . wait for it. ..

It subtracted a fair amount from my accounts in Quicken. Changed the opening balance. So it was communicating with Quicken, only ON QUICKEN'S END, it didn't know what to do with the account.

Sorry, it doesn't work. EWC+. It ends up trying the same process as to reauthorize the account. But nothing. . . so ECW+ isn't working either. Reset didn't work either.

The advice on CC-800 error on March, 28 2024 no longer applies to this issue of late September/Now all the way to October 20th, 2024.

• Tony7799
    Tony7799 Quicken Windows Subscription Member

This process worked and my Citi accounts are updated now.

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭

As of Monday morning, direct connect seems to be working again. I was able to get transactions downloaded. I have yet to be prompted to "reauthorize" my account and i haven't receieved an updated message about it either since the original message. Are others getting prompted to "reauthorize" or are you just deactivating/activating on your own?

• Boatnmaniac

The Citi announcement said the transition would occur on 10/22 (tomorrow) so I would not expect there to be any prompts to reauthorize until then.

What I and some others have done is to proactively change our connection method but that was a personal choice, not a requirement.

• Boatnmaniac

@Skyking86 -

It did everything it should. EXCEPT….

It did NOT move any of my manually added purchases to cleared or reconciled. They are still waiting.

It did not download anything new.

I remember when I first was able to set up an EWC+ connection and download, again, in early Oct (after the Citi EWC+ issue was announced to be resolved), that I and others only got a couple of days of new transactions (just for the 2-3 days prior to the date of the download) and that most of the previous manually entered transactions prior to that could not then be matched to new downloads so changing the transactions status to C needed to be done manually.

Maybe that is what you have experienced? If so, then you should note that those older transactions might not ever download into the register….at least, they did not for me.

However, the Online Balance was correct so I was then able to reconcile the accounts to the Online Balance. And since then new transactions have been downloading whenever they post at Citi.

and. . . wait for it. ..

It subtracted a fair amount from my accounts in Quicken. Changed the opening balance. So it was communicating with Quicken, only ON QUICKEN'S END, it didn't know what to do with the account.

This was identified in my 10/12 response to you as a possible occurrence. But this is a broader issue, not specific to Citi, where sometimes the Opening Balance transaction gets changed when changing or updating the connection method (i.e., Reset Account, Deactivate/Reactivate, Reauthorize, etc.).

As mentioned in that 10/12 post (and in many other threads), it is highly recommended that the correct Opening Balance dollar amount be proactively entered/saved into the Memo field prior to making any connection change. That only needs to be done once and it will forever make it incredibly easy to identify and fix when this issue occurs. (I see I did not mention this in my 10/20 post so I have now edited that post to include it.)

Sorry, it doesn't work. EWC+. It ends up trying the same process as to reauthorize the account. But nothing. . . so ECW+ isn't working either. Reset didn't work either.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Reset Account can only be done when there already is a connection method established. If you had deactivated your account(s), then you would not have had a Reset Account option. And if you had a Reset Account option it means that you already had a connection method set up (EWC+?).

Also, the process I spelled out above is a Reauthorization process so, yes, "it ends up trying the same process as to reauthorize the account".

What do you mean by "But nothing….so EWC+ isn't working either"? Maybe I misunderstand but from what you posted it sounds like you were successful in getting an EWC+ connection established. Please explain what you mean by this. Specific details of what you are seeing would be very helpful.

After fixing the Opening Balance transaction and running OSU, again, did the OSU Summary show that your Citi account(s) were updated? Is the Online Balance correct or not?

• Skyking86
    edited October 21

MONDAY OCTOBER 21st:

I had the same behavior of it working for a couple of days and then stopping. I manually moved the transactions I had entered to "C"(cleared), this would be previous to 10/7 or so. That was also when the corruption of the original balance was starting.

Thanks again for the entering the correct balance into the memo field. I have also done the same with some balances farther down the line too.

So, here we go again. I have deactivated the account right now. All the previous manual enteries are no longer flagged on the right column with the yellow/bronze notepad. Right now there is no one step update appearing. I have also deleted the account number and the name of account on the right column of account details box.

So we add an account again. Here it is step by step:

Using Setup online dialog, I see the list of all the various financial institutions. This time, which I haven't done previously, I'll search for COSTCO. . . try COSTCO CARD. . using CITI log in, error message. Nothing there. So back , try #2, to using CITI CARD for financial institution. Sign in to CITI, check the "Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi" and all other accounts. Authorize access bounces me back to Quicken to link to the existing account, which is in the drop down menu. We link it.

Account added confirmed by dialog asking to update to finish the procedure.

Opening balance is immediately off. So something is communicating. But not correctly. The opening balance is now 1,927.61 over drawn from the correct amount.

Account details are now repopulated with CITI CARDS and the account number. Good.

And nothing is updated with the pre-exisiting transactions. EWC+ is the connection method that CITI used. Just did the OSU with the usual method on the toolbar button for all my accounts. It shows that CITI Bank is available to be updated. Clicked on ALL and they all indicated update. However the CITI card does not show up in the summary list with the other accounts that have no activities. So that is odd. It should say at least nothing there. Checking again, the OSU still shows CITI as one of the accounts to update on the dialogue list in the box. So it hasn't disappeared.

So that is how the attempt goes today. Natta. Running OSU gives me the CITI CARDS account, shows the active search. Nothing changes in the account. And the account shows up with the others in the usual OSU dialogs. I'm going to stop adding any transactions to see if the pending ones show up with the usual Tuesday morning run of bank updates. Monday is not a day when things seem to come through the system.

You'd think that CITI would flag my account after fifteen or twenty reauthorization through Quicken tries. And yes, Quicken has not fixed this.

Just hoping that Jasmine or someone doesn't hit the "this discussion now closed" as a way of solving Quicken's problem. It isn't fixed. Disappointed to see community threads stopped when we still have an ongoing issue. Do a search for COSTCO CITI and you can see the closed down discussions.

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭

thanks for the updates, this is exactly why I don’t want to touch anything. I have to believe citi bank will extend the timeframe for converting over to ewc+. We’ll find out tomorrow (10/22) of they are cutting direct connect off.

• Skyking86
    edited October 22

TUESDAY, OCT 22nd: CITI COSTCO CARD with EWC+ linked in Quicken as it has been. . .

OSU: It listed Citi Card as an account to be checked for update in the settings box. As it updates, it's in the box that shows the progress of the OSU. After update, the CITI Card is not listed among the other accounts in the summary, which are all listed even if they had nothing to update. Odd. So, it appears before you have OSU do its thing as an account to be included in the sweep of updates. But it disappears when the list appears in the box after the process. Same behavior when one clicks on the "update now" in the account gear in the upper right corner.

BTW, " All the previous manual entries are no longer flagged on the right column with the yellow/bronze notepad." Just realized that my memory was off, its of course, a red pencil rather than a notepad!

• pt216
    pt216 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭

Message the Office of the President

Get immediate access to Quicken Care at 650-250-1900 or click GET HELP NOW

https://www.quicken.com/about-us/

https://www.quicken.com/about-us/

• Skyking86

Not really helpful in this case, since Quicken support, the number you have given, is already on this. Just slow. I'm sure that a CEO isn't going be taking Customer Support issues, except through several layers of middle management, if then.

• Skyking86

Finally called Quicken support. Ended up with the IT advice to simply start a new account. Nothing like losing all the previous memos and categories. The ability to do reports with any look back. The IT didn't know anything of the ongoing issue with us in this problem. Did a screen share, showed him the whole process too. Update shows the account, shows that it is processing and then when the summary screen pops up, it disappears.

That is a non-starter.

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭

Agree, starting a new account is a non-starter. The issue you have with the showing processing and then disappearing from the summary screen, has been an issue for me for a few years. We used to see all the accounts that we updated on the summary screen and now i don't seen any. During the one step update process i can see the status of the downloads but they all disappear in the final summary screen. I've heard for many years that it's a known issue and should be fixed someday.

• Boatnmaniac

From what you've been posting the last couple of days it's been leading me to think that you might have some sort of corruption in your current data file….either with the file itself or with the Citi account(s) in it. Here are some ideas of things you might want to try if you have not already done so. They are listed in no particular order. Any one of them might fix a corruption issue for you or maybe not will but you won't know if you don't try. If you do any of them, make sure to back up your data file first.

1…Have you tried doing Validate & Repair? What about Super Validate? What were the results? These can identify and fix some data file and program issues.

2…Have you tried File > New Quicken File > New Quicken File > name the file TEST (or something similar)? Log in with your current Quicken ID & PW. Try to set up your Citi account(s) in this file. If you can successfully do Add Account for your Citi account(s) in this file, then it a good indication that there is some corruption in your current data file.

3…Actually, starting a new account in your current data file can be a good thing to try doing. If this works, it pretty much confirms that there is some corruption with your Citi account(s) preventing a good OSU connection.

• Make sure your current Citi account(s) are deactivated…but DO NOT delete them.
    • Then do Add Account for your Citi accounts and let Quicken ADD or tell Quicken to ADD the downloaded data as new account(s). DO NOT let Quicken Link to the current accounts.
    • If you are able to add the new account(s), you can then move the transactions from the old account(s) to the new account(s) with no loss of historical data. Also transfer transactions will be updated accordingly, as well, so you do not lose any of the transfer links. (I can provide you with a couple of tips on how to do this rather easily and quickly if you run into difficulties.)
    • Once the transactions have been transferred from the old account(s) to the new account(s) you can then delete the old account(s)….but only if you are really sure that everything set up and transferred properly.

4…Another option to consider doing:

• File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template (under Advanced Options) > Next > include dates for all transactions > make sure all boxes are checked for Include in the copy > keep the file location the same as is shown…you can either keep the suggested file name (the current file name with CPY at the end of the name) or give it a unique name of your choosing > Save Copy.
    • If there is a corruption of your current main data file or of the Citi account(s), this will sometimes fix it.
    • The copy that is created will have a unique file ID and a unique Cloud Account ID so there will be no cross-talk with the original file.
    • All of your OSU connections in this copy file will have been deactivated so those will need to be set up, again. But before trying to set up all of your accounts, again, try setting up only your Citi account(s) first. Then if that works with Citi you can set up all of your other accounts for OSU downloads, again..

If you decide to try any of these things, please post the results back here.

• Skyking86
    edited October 24

Validate and repair. .. some issues with old closed accounts but only two with the CITI card back in 2016. Since it was working fine with those issues, I didn't go after any further investigation. No change. All the other accounts are functional, so the issues were only with the COSTCO/CITI card.

But, you da man, Boatnmaniac !

What worked with option 4 above. Working only with the CITI card account, I set up OSU and it worked.

• File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template (under Advanced Options) > Next > include dates for all transactions > make sure all boxes are checked for Include in the copy > keep the file location the same as is shown…you can either keep the suggested file name (the current file name with CPY at the end of the name) or give it a unique name of your choosing > Save Copy.
    • If there is a corruption of your current main data file or of the Citi account(s), this will sometimes fix it.
    • The copy that is created will have a unique file ID and a unique Cloud Account ID so there will be no cross-talk with the original file.
    • All of your OSU connections in this copy file will have been deactivated so those will need to be set up, again. But before trying to set up all of your accounts, again, try setting up only your Citi account(s) first. Then if that works with Citi you can set up all of your other accounts for OSU downloads, again..

Apparently with the whole CITI mess, there was a corruption, even though nothing showed up with Validate/Repair that pointed to a recent problem. I would guess the corruption as somewhere in the code between the bank transmission and the inclusion of the data into the Quicken account, fairly late in the process, since the OSU showed it was connecting and downloading and complete. So after a half hour of re-entering all the OSU accounts, it finally works. I had several duplicated entries, but that is par for the course. Corrected by deletion, ran OSU and it all now seems to be online. You beat the Quicken IT team to the goal of getting to work. They just wanted me to do a complete new account without any entries being preserved, which was quite frankly, nuts.

I still think that somehow in the CITI bank download issue come sort of coding error or corruption of a download was induced into the system. Possibly corrected, but my use of a backup early on might have missed the correction cycle and sent me down the rabbit hole. That opening balance being incorrect so many times makes me wonder about the robust nature and error correction of the transferring of data. I just deleted 29 emails about CITI bank now being authorized with Quicken, going back to September. That's how many tries didn't work.

Humbled, but grateful.

• Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭✭

I had the Costco Citi Visa issue for weeks. Last week it resolved and I successfully activated for one step update. Now one step update fails to connect to Citi, and online access is disabled. I go to online access for the Citi account and it tries to connect to Citi to authorize the Citi account: enter user ID and password when prompted then get a message from Citi "Your request has failed due to internal error or an error with the server. Try again later."

I can go through the Quicken add account process with the + sign with the exact same results as above. This has nothing to do with any data or transactions on my current Citi Costco Visa card because I can't even set-up as a new account.

I am so so frustrated! I depend on Quicken for my personal finances and it is failing me!

• Boatnmaniac

I'm glad it worked for you. Who knows where the corruption was…we probably will never know for sure. My guess when I posted it is that perhaps it was a runtime.dat file corruption. Creating a copied file like this will not only create a new Cloud Account ID (fixing any Cloud Account issues) for that copied file but it will also create a new runtime.dat file for it. Let's hope it continues to work for you for a long time.