Costco Citi Visa Bank Card fails to connect to Citi bank account

McCameron
McCameron Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Although the posts say this has been fixed, I've been trying to reconnect my Quicken account to my Citi bank account but it has been timing out and failing for days.

What is the problem??

Comments

• Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭✭

I have exactly the same continuing problem! And the moderators of this forum keep silencing me by deleting these comments over the past weeks, not days.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello All,

If the issue persists after it has been marked as resolved, please contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance, as they have access to tools that we on the Community cannot access and they are able to escalate the issue as needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance! 

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• markus1957
    markus1957 Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

I think this is a new problem with EWC+ accounts in general. All my EWC+ accounts including Citi are throwing a CC-501 error this morning.

• Un Happy
    Un Happy Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    edited October 5

Support helped with the Costco workaround and I was able to download my CITI transactions. (I do not have any Costco cards) Today, the update function that support helped with is not working at all. Any help on how to repair again?

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @Un Happy,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. What is happening when you try to update? Are you seeing any error messages/codes? Is your account(s) connected via Express Web Connect, Express Web Connect+, or Direct Connect? You can check this by going to Tools>Account List and looking in the Transaction Download column.

If you are connected via Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+, quite a few customers have been reporting issues today (some seeing CC-501 errors, some seeing no error, and some seeing HTTP-503 errors). There is currently an issue with the Quicken cloud, which is causing the HTTP-503 issue and may be related to the other issues customers are reporting.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• pt216
    pt216 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭
    Permission Problem You don't have permission to do that.

• nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭

The CC-501 EWC download error across many accounts seems to be fixed as of 10:30am PDT Sunday October 6th.

• debmaldo
    debmaldo Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Mine is still not fixed as of 12:20 PST

• debmaldo
    debmaldo Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Not working today - after working with Quicken support yesterday, thought it was fixed.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @debmaldo,

Per this article on "It's not your fault" errors, please wait 24 hours and try again. If the issue persists after that, please contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday. 

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Bill Blakey
    Bill Blakey Member ✭✭

FYI I just tried again right now (Oct 8th 6:50am) and it now is working for me, I was able to authenticate and Link my existing Costco Citi Visa account to online once again, transactions downloaded finally.

• Skyking86
    Skyking86 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 8

Not working with all the steps at 10:30am PDT October 8th. Now tells me the account was deleted, although CITI says its authorized and Quicken says I should be able to download.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @Skyking86,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Are you seeing a specific error code along with that account deleted message? If you are seeing a CC-800 error, then I recommend following the steps in this article to resolve the issue:

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Skyking86
    edited October 11

Well horrible. Now my account is off by $344 in Quicken compared to the CITI bank account and the outstanding/pending that have cleared are not showing up in Quicken. I had it manually all in synch, but now I'm to the point where once again, I have to restore from a backup to get the account back to where it was OK before I did a onestep update, then we get into the loop of the Cc-800 errors once again. This, [Removed - Inaccurate], is not good. We have been down this road several times in the past weeks. This is not the solution! [Edited - Readability]

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned that the balance was off after you resolved the CC-800 error. Did you see what was throwing it off (missing transactions, duplicate transactions, etc.)?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Skyking86
    edited October 12

It was a larger balance in the credit card charges. Went back through it for the past four months. No missing transactions, duplicates (the usual problem I found with BECU's issue was duplicates, but nothing here). Just a $314 additional charge balance. PLUS, even after all this, the manually entered 10/8 purchases, which appear in the CITI app as good and not pending, are not updated to having gone through the account in Quicken, although the app says they certainly have. I would expect a blue dot or a match manual transaction routine. After all these attempts at fixing it, I still get the CC-800 error - after going through the whole troubleshooting with this CITI Costco Account several times. Account details financial institution says CITI CARDS and I can't delete or change it. I had to resort to a backup when this happened the first time last week and the account amounts were fine with the back up. They stayed fine until I attempted the CC-800 fix and then I had the larger balance. BTW, Windows not Mac.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the more common issues with Spending accounts (i.e., checking, savings, credit card, etc.) that can occur when resetting, deactivating/reactivating or otherwise changing a connection method is that the process will change the amount of the Opening Balance transaction. IMO, this is a more common cause of an account balance issue after doing one of these things than is duplicate transactions.

When I see an account balance that is wrong after doing this, the first thing I usually do is check to see if the Online Balance transaction dollar amount has been changed. For me, fixing an Online Balance transaction dollar amount will resolve the account balance issue more often than not.

What many people do proactively is enter and save the correct dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. They do this for every connected Spending account. That makes it very easy to determine when this issue has occurred and to know how to correct it.

Those who do not do this usually will need to restore an older backup file (dated from before when the issue was observed) to see what the correct Opening Balance transaction dollar amount should be or to get the information from an account statement.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• pt216
    pt216 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭

Saturday, October 12, 2024

From the Quicken for Windows: How do I switch my Citibank accounts to the new connection method? It states

Before you begin: Do not deactivate and reactivate your Citibank accounts while completing the steps below.

When you update your accounts in Quicken, you'll be prompted to change to the new EWC+ connection method.

I don’t have a reauthorize click button

On my Citi account details online services tab, I have only two choices deactivate on one line and Reset Account on another.

Quicken Instructions say this "Before you begin: Do not deactivate and reactivate your Citibank accounts while completing the steps below."

What’s the procedure to removing the connect from using the Costco Anywhere Card by Citi I'm using now.

• gcmobley
    gcmobley Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited October 12

The Citi Visa setup to Quicken remains broken. I've re-authorized about 5x and [Removed - Language] Quicken still won't DL any transactions even though there are transactions and Quicken clearly has been authorized to the Citi Visa. Please fix this! [Edited - Readability]

• Boatnmaniac

@pt216 -

From the Quicken for Windows: How do I switch my Citibank accounts to the new connection method? It states

Before you begin: Do not deactivate and reactivate your Citibank accounts while completing the steps below.

When you update your accounts in Quicken, you'll be prompted to change to the new EWC+ connection method.

I don’t have a reauthorize click button

Where are you getting this information from? Per the popup that I got when opening Quicken, it says that Citi will be transitioning to the new connection method in the future and that we will be prompted when to take action and update our connection method. Rather then trying to do the connection change now, I am going to wait until Quicken prompts me to make the connection change.

BTW, one cannot change the connection method without first deactivating the connected account. Depending on which connection update process you use, you can either first deactivate the account yourself and then try to set up the new connection or you can let Quicken do the deactivation first as part of the Reauthorization process. Since we have not yet been prompted by Quicken to actually make the connection change now (at least I have not prompted) we cannot know which method Quicken might prefer (if there even will be a preference communicated).

It also gets more complex because we do not know for sure which Citi accounts this message refers to.

• We do know that many Citi accounts (mostly Citi-branded and some Citi co-branded accounts) already transitioned to the EWC+ connection method some time ago. So, IMO, I do not think this prompt refers those accounts that are already set up with EWC+.
    • So, does this popup message refer to those accounts that are still set up with DC? Perhaps. I do have 2 cards (Citi Costco Visa, Citi Rewards+ Mastercard) that are setup with DC for downloading.
    • Or does this popup message refer to those accounts that are still set up with EWC (not to be confused with EWC+)? Most Citi retail cards are still connected via EWC…I have two that are (Sears MC, Macy's Amex). Perhaps.
    • Or does this popup message refer to both DC and EWC connected accounts? Perhaps.

So, this is another reason to wait until Quicken prompts us to make the connection change because we should be prompted to make the change with specific accounts and we will not need to guess. And as long as my Citi download connections with my 4 credit cards are working with DC and EWC, I am not willing to risk deactiving them only to not yet be able to reauthorize them if EWC+ does not apply to them.

• Boatnmaniac

Which Citi Visa card?

And which Citi financial institution (per Add Account) are you trying to reauthorize with? (Selecting the correct one can be critical.)

A few other comments:

• Before trying to reauthorize: It is strongly recommended that, if you have not already done so, enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. It is a proactive step that can greatly help resolve an account balance issue in the event that reauthorizing changes the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount because you can then see what it should be in the Memo field.
    • Does the Online Services tab of Account Details for your Citi Visa have the "Deactivate" button? If so, click on that and then try to reauthorize.
    • Browser Extensions: For me, reauthorization often does not work because of one or more security extensions I have enabled. I am not sure which one it is so when I need to reauthorize I will disable every browser extension which almost always then allows the reauthrorization process to properly complete. (FYI, I use Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome browsers and they all have difficulty with reauthorizations….and they all have the same security extensions enabled. Regardless of which browser is my default, disabling these extensions has allowed reauthorization to properly complete.) Once the reauthorization is complete I enable the extensions, again.

• gcmobley

Hi.

I've reauthorized several times since mid September when this mess started. I always receive in FF is "your account is authorized" and then a bit later I receive an independent mail stating the authorization was successful to the Citi account(s). Today I finally got POed enough after entering transactions manually for more than a month to do what you suggested and "Deactivate" the account and then readd the account from ground 0.

Sadly, still no sync even though the web browsers says again, "…your account has been authorized… close the page…." I also get the ACK email a few minutes later.

My account is already setup for EWC+ per the "online tab information" for the Citi/Costco Visa account. At this point, everything looks right on my end.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is just numbingly frustrating. Have a good one!

• Skyking86
    edited October 12

Join the crowd. What isn't a best practice is that Quicken has given us no idea what is happening or the cause or the solution that they are working on. We are customers, it's a team, we trust them with all our financial security. You would think they would be totally transparent on what is happening. I'm manually adding too. And very reluctant to restore from my October 3rd good copy, since then I get the "you might have restored from a copy" CC-800 error. Between this a BECU last year. . . I don't get why Quicken is so silent on things. If they are working behind the scenes on a fix, fill us in. Even the window about CITI changing things doesn't do the job for us. Is marketing not taking with IT about what the consequences are for sales? Is the administration spending enough for technical help? With the yearly subscription rather than buying the 2 year CD, you would think they are swimming in cash. . .

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 13

Thanks for posting that you are talking about the Costco Visa card.

Which Add Account financial institution are you trying to reauthorize with?

So you did not try to deactivate the account on the Online Services tab of Account Details as I'd suggested? There have been quite a few posts by others these last couple of weeks saying that is what they needed to do before they were able to complete the reauthorization process.

Did you try disabling your browser extensions (just for the reauthorization process)?

Did you try turning off your anti-malware software (just for the reauthorization process)?

• Skyking86
    edited October 12

I don't think the browser is the right road to go down. The CITI bank process works all the way to the end of their process in the browser. Quicken picks it up from there, outside of the browser. I've done the deactivate too. Anti-virus/malware has never been an issue before and I doubt if they are interferring with Quicken, that would mean that something that is being sent is in the virus database.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 12

As I'd posted above:

Browser Extensions: For me, reauthorization often does not work because of one or more security extensions I have enabled. I am not sure which one it is so when I need to reauthorize I will disable every browser extension which almost always then allows the reauthrorization process to properly complete. (FYI, I use Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome browsers and they all have difficulty with reauthorizations….and they all have the same security extensions enabled. Regardless of which browser is my default, disabling these extensions has allowed reauthorization to properly complete.) Once the reauthorization is complete I enable the extensions, again.

The reauthorization process has often been flaky and unreliable. And it seems that some FIs work better with it than others. I used to do what many others used to do when reauthorization would return bad results….switch default browers, repeatedly do reauthorization in rapid succession, wait a while and try, again, and turn off my anti-malware program. Sometimes these actions would work but often they did not.

About 4 months ago I started disabling all of my browser extensions whenever reauthorization did not work on the 1st try. When I have done this, reauthorization has always worked on the next try…assuming that there have been no issues with either Intuit (the aggregator) or the FI.

My guess is that when the reauthorization is done on the FI website, the FI sends the security token back via the same browser and there is something about that token that is causing it to be blocked. All except one of my browser extensions are security apps (popup blockers, cookies blockers, ads blockers, etc.) and for me, at least, disabling them has resulted in reauthorization success. Coincidence? Perhaps. But how many success stories does it take to change an apparent coincidence into an apparent causality…especially when the results are repeated regardless of which browser is used?

• Skyking86
    edited October 12

Could be, although the coming change in the interface could be behind this mess too. Short of Quicken giving us a clue, it's whistling in the dark about the whole thing. And other than a Facebook blocker, I have no extension that could change the cookie/token/instructions. And it still doesn't explain why my balance is off when it did connect.

• Boatnmaniac

Yes, there could be a lot of stuff going on in the background with the pending EWC+ change that we know nothing about that could be complicating the current issue. And I've mentioned that disabling all browser extension is something that works for me, has worked for me for months and it has continued to work for me both before and after the late-Sep/early-Oct Citi EWC+ connection issues.

I have no idea if this works for others or for how many others it might work. I mention it in the hope that it might work for others. But when people do not try it and/or do not report back whether or not it does work it means we just will not know one way or the other.

And it still doesn't explain why my balance is off when it did connect.

No it doesn't. But then that is a totally different long-term issue that is not specific to any FI nor to any specific connection method. So if you are experiencing this issue, then you should probably start a new thread on it or search through some of the many previous threads that have been posted about this issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

For what it is worth I'm having no problems with any of these three combinations (all using my wife's Citi/Costco Visa credit card account).

1. Citi Cards → Direct Connect
    2. Citi Cards → Express Web Connect +
    3. Citibank → Express Web Connect +

Note we don't have any Citibank banking accounts, which in the past have been known to have all kinds of problems, including sometimes preventing the credit cards from being setup with Direct Connect (for the credit cards that support it, not all do).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gcmobley
    edited October 13

Hi Everyone, Per my earlier posting… I'm NOT having issues with the EWC+ authorizations at all. As I said earlier, FF returns and says your account is authorized and then I receive the followup email from Citi stating the account is authorized. However, even with the EWC+ authorization clearly done correctly and ACKed by Citi, when I attempt to download any transactions, I get zilch / nothing downloaded. This has been occurring since this "mess with Citi cards" started in mid-September. It took me more than an hour yesterday to reconcile and enter the missing transactions in quicken vs maybe 10 minutes when EWC+ actually works and downloads the transactions throughout the month. I'm hopeful that things are working for some folks correctly. Maybe Quicken can get around to getting the rest of us paying customers working again soon. I do not believe there are any issues with FF add-ins or other anti-virus countermeasures b/c if that were the case, I doubt the EWC+ would ever go thru, complete and then ACK that with an email. Nothing magically changed around 9/16/24 when everything with Citi Costco Visa stopped downloading. Have a good one!