Bremer Bank online connection problems cc - 502

Cannot connect with Bremer bank with one-step update. CC - 502 error. Is this bremer bank issue or Quicken. Any estimate of when it will be fixed?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Dennis Nelson,

Please, review and follow the error-specific steps found in this support article.

If the steps are unsuccessful, then after 24 hours or more, as stated at the bottom of the article, you will need to contact Quicken Support via phone or chat. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files to find the internal error and file for an escalation if they see fit.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Also having cc-502 errors when trying to download from Bremer. The support articles & instructions had no effect.

• Gene M
    Gene M Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I'm also having problems, cc-502 when trying to download from Bremer Bank.

• doug_maltby
    doug_maltby Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭

I just spoke with Bremer agent/banker at 800-908-2265. He (Andy) said "it's a known issue and they're working on it". Feel free to call Bremer to express your dissatisfaction and urge them to get it fixed. Copying to this to the Mac version discussion since my comment here was separated from this thread.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15

Bremer Bank updated their website last week (on 10/10?) and they have had problems with that update. When I tried to log into the new website on 10/10 I was required to change my PW which I did. That worked and I was able to view my online account.

But when I deactivated/reactivated my EWC connection I got a variety of different error codes…CC-502 was the most common.

I tried to log into my online account, again, on Friday and I got a message that I've been locked out because of too many failed attempts to log in. They have a link to unlock the account but that did not unlock it.

I was hoping Bremer would have gotten this all resolved by today but it is not. Today when I tried to set up the EWC connection it looked like it was starting to work properly because I was prompted to have a 2FA code texted to me. But the telephone numbers that were offered to have the text sent to were not mine….I did not recognize them at all.

I then backed out and tried to set up the EWC connection, again, but this time via Set Up Now instead of Add Account and got this popup with no information. The More Info button does not work and Quicken locks up and becomes non-functional with the only option to get out is to force close it via Task Manager. BTW, I got this same popup a couple of times over the last few days when trying to set up the EWC connection.:

I called Bremer corporate about this last Friday afternoon and they acknowledged there is are problems with their new website but they said I would need to contact the local branch to get my account unlocked. So, I will do that later today. I will post back here what they tell me.

BTW, the Android app for Bremer was also updated in coordination with this website change. It has never worked, not even the 1st day when I was able to get logged in on the website.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Judy R.
    Judy R. Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have tried for the last 6 days to update my Quicken and I keep getting this is issue. I know Bremer has updated their system so what do I need to do to my Quicken to get my accounts updated.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This is now considered a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 16

I did follow up with Bremer today and got my online account access unlocked. They said that the website update did lock out some customers so they encourage people to contact them (specifically, their local branch) if they are experiencing this issue.

But the CC-502 issue is different. The person I talked with did not know about the issue and their tech support team is swamped trying to get their website issues resolved so I will try to contact their tech support, again, tomorrow.

After I got my online account access restored I tried to set up the EWC connection but got the CC-502 error, again. I got the same result in a test file so I know it is not a file corruption issue. However, generally when an account is deactivated it is then possible to remove all the financial institution information on the General tab of Account Details but in this case, all of that information could be removed except for the financial institution name. I found that to be odd.

I thought maybe it's a good time to use the Web Connect (WC) method so I logged into my online account and downloaded transactions in a QFX file. But the QFX file import process did not work as I was not prompted to link the imported data to any account in Quicken and none of the transactions were imported. I also tried to do this in a test file and got the same results. I checked the QFX file in Notepad and everything looked correct. I have seen a few others posting that WC does not seem to be working with their financial institutions so maybe the issues I experienced with WC with Bremer is more related to that issue that it is specific to Bremer.

• doug_maltby

I'm still only experiencing maddening frustration with the Bremer & FIS infrastructure "upgrade", but I'm finally sensing some progress to fix Quicken connectivity. During one click update I was prompted in Quicken (Mac) to select MFA method of contact (call/text/call) but still no OTA authenticator option like Authy after this "upgrade". Error 1 FDP-106 detail copy/paste below:

This connection failed, and will not update:

Bremer(myusername) - Error FDP-106 (ACCOUNT_MISMATCH -  Account not found. No accounts returned - case 106)

To retry the failed connection, you'll need to start a new update.

Please try again later.

Then, the Connection Status update Summary window shows 6 errors related to all our Bremer accounts…

"This account has been marked as Closed or Hidden in Quicken, and is in an error state at the bank. If this account is no longer active, click Disconnect.

The accounts found at Bremer don’t match the accounts in Quicken. Let’s fix it by reconnecting your account. (FDP-106)

Care Code: FDP-106

Details:
    ACCOUNT_MISMATCH
    Account not found. No accounts returned - case 106

So I attempted to reconnect from my main account, but I get the same error loop. I verified my accounts using the website and app but had to re-authenticate and re-establish biometrics - seemingly disabled by Bremer/FIS yesterday.

I'm posting this in both Windows and Mac threads for broader visibility…we obviously share the same connectivity issues with Bremer.

One step forward, two steps back. Two weeks later and we're still not able to connect via Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 18

This evening I was able to establish an EWC connection with Bremer. I was excited…at first…because it said 2K+ transactions were downloaded and no duplicates. Unfortunately, there were no new transactions added to the register and there should have been 7 of those. Also, the Online Balance did not update.

There was no error code/message received. But the online services setup process was weird. I got a 2FA request which seemed to work OK and then I was able to Link the download to my account. But instead of completing then, I was prompted for another 2FA. Then the setup process completed.

So some progress, I suppose, but it is still broken.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the connection process changed the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount. Good thing that I had previously entered and saved the correct dollar amount into the Memo field so it was very easy to correct.

• doug_maltby

Bremer and/or FIS appears incompetent, not mapping existing linked accounts correctly and/or not knowing proper debits & credits for their accounts.

I've had relative "success" getting my Bremer account connections re-established with MFA, but the initial downloads had completely reversed debits and credits. And had to re-link them a 2nd time. Payments from Debit/checking account showed up as "Deposits" to Personal Income. After manually fixing all the incorrect transactions and deleting duplicates by using the Bremer iPhone app as my reference guide to our transactions, I then individually re-synced each account and everything seems re-connected and functional. My Quicken account balances are the same as reported on the web & app, but not without significant manual reconciliation of all the transactions from the past month. We'll see if this "success" holds true when future transactions flow through in the coming days. It seems like there's a 50/50 chance the account types and debits & credits are mapped correctly. We'll see…

Despite now being seemingly being re-connected and reconciled (manually), I'm still intensely frustrated (furious?) at the basic lack of competence at Bremer or FIS. It's not clear whose fault this is, but I'll say Bremer since they're in charge of their own IT infrastructure. This has been an abysmal "upgrade" experience. And there's still no way to do MFA from anything but SMS, requiring me to activate my US SIM overseas ($$) because there's no alternative means to authenticate (or cheaped out and decided not to pay for it).

I think Bremer can soon consider me an ex-customer, after trusting them with my accounts for 33 years. Trust is earned, and they've just done a great job losing it.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 21

During OSU today: Received error code CC-506. No transactions were downloaded and the Online Balance was not updated. But the Account List and the Account Register showed that the account was updated today.

Tried Update Now: Same results as with OSU.

Tried Reset Account (Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account):

1. Prompted for 2FA.
    2. Was able to Link the download to my account in Quicken.
    3. Prompted for 2FA, again, after which the Reset Account process completed.
    4. The Account Register showed the account is set up with EWC and the date and time of the last download are correct.
    5. The Opening Balance transaction dollar amount was changed, again. (Again, easily corrected because the correct amount was previously entered into the Memo field.)
    6. 10 transactions were downloaded: All of them showed in the Downloaded Transactions view as being deposits but only 1 of them really was a deposit and that 1 deposit was correctly matched to the deposit transaction I had previously manually entered. 6 transactions did not match with 6 previous manually entered debit transactions (because they had downloaded as credits instead of debits). The remaining 3 transactions were previously downloaded (prior to this website upgrade) but because they were downloaded as credits instead of debits they could not be matched, as well. I simply deleted all 9 of these incorrect deposit entries in Downloaded Transactions so they did not get wrongly entered into the Account Register and no register cleanup was then needed (other than #5).
    7. The Online Balance correctly updated.
    8. I was finally able to reconcile to the Online Balance.

The main Bremer issues, IMO:

• Error code CC-506.
    • Requiring two 2FAs before the Reset process would complete.
    • Downloading debits as credits.

Issues that, IMO, are likely Quicken issues, not Bremer issues:

• The Opening Balance transaction dollar amount being changed. This is a fairly common, long-time issue that sometimes happens when Resetting, changing or adding a download connection method.
    • Downloading some transactions that had been previously downloaded and not filtering them out during the data import process. This is another fairly common, long-time issue that sometimes happens when Resettting, changing or adding a download connection method. (One caveat about this: It could be that the reason why Quicken did not filter out the 3 previously downloaded transactions was because they were downloaded as credits instead of debits. So maybe this one is not a Quicken issue.

One issue might be a Bremer issue or might be a Quicken issue or a combination of both:

• Downloading 3 transactions that had been previously downloaded and not filtering them out during the data import process. This is a fairly common, long-time issue which causes duplicate transactions in the account register that sometimes happens when Resettting, changing or adding a download connection method. But in this case, it might be that because Bremer downloaded these 3 transactions as credits instead of debits, then Quicken could not match them to the previously downloaded transactions so they were then treated by Quicken as new transactions.

So, some real but slow progress.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 21

Update on Bremer OSU run this morning:

• OSU functioned normally.
    • No error, no error code, no error message.
    • There was one 2FA request, not two.
    • There was one newly posted transaction downloaded. It was correctly downloaded as a debit, not a credit.
    • No duplicate transactions were downloaded.
    • The Online Balance was correct.

Hopefully Bremer OSU continues like this. (OK, I do hope that I am not prompted for 2FA every time I do OSU but if that happens it is a nuisance/convenience issue, not a download integrity issue.)

• Boatnmaniac

Results of OSU with Bremer today: The same good results as I reported yesterday. One newly posted transaction downloaded correctly as a debit. I was prompted for 2FA so nothing changed in that regard.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 23

Results of OSU with Bremer today:

• 1 new debit transaction downloaded as a credit: So the issue still is not resolved. I manually corrected the downloaded transaction.
    • Prompted for 2FA 1X, again.
    • Online Balance is correct.

Sigh.

• doug_maltby

Continued frustration with Bremer. smh as the kids say

Bremer iOS app works, website works, Quicken (Mac) connection no longer working. 1st connect attempt in week (traveling opposite side of Earth, ATT wants $12/day to get my SMS OTP).

Appreciate the updates here from boatnmaniac. The debit/credit mix up and MFA certainly Bremer's issue. I think I did get duplicate transactions, part of the significant reconciliation, but not sure who's issue that is. Also, clearly not tested well (unit or integration, or at all?) and they "own" their infra, not FIS or Quicken.

Open Quicken, it updates (Version 7.10.0), and press the OSU button, proceeds to prompt for Bremer MFA, specify text, receive text and enter it, then get the great error below… "Invalid Answer". Do it 2 more times, same answer. MFA works when logging into the iOS Bremer App and the Bremer website, but not in Quicken connection. Wish they'd nix the MFA in the Quicken connection. It's the only FI account I have that does this, and not seemingly "fully baked".

Multifactor Authentication Failed

This connection failed, and will not update

Bremer(myAccount) - Invalid Answer

To retry the failed connection, you'll need to start a new update.

I'll try to paste this into the Quicken Mac thread here but the last time it wouldn't post, maybe because my comment had been "separated" from this thread.

• doug_maltby

Update 5 hours later, this time the One step update "worked", MFA worked (1x), BUT the debits & credits still flipped. Expenses show as Deposits. Had to manually flip the transactions, and hope I got family's accounts correct not knowing the exact nature of their transactions.

It's crazy how bad Bremer's "upgrade" has gone, especially for Quicken users. Clearly no testing involved, no alternative to SMS authentication for OTP, and no ability to manually download .csv or .qfx as a backup.