Add ability to link accounts to brokerage accounts to Quicken for Mac (104 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
e.g. to cash, checking, savings accounts

not much else to say...self-explanatory, I think.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

27 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted and added to the development roadmap for future implementation. At this time there is no ETA on when this functionality will be available. QMAC-17049

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In QWin, the Linked Checking Account is created from the Account Details dialog of the brokerage account. 

There's no way to link an existing checking/cash account to a brokerage account ... as the impact  of the "Show cash in a checking account" option is to remove all cash transactions from the brokerage acct and move them to the LCA.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

In QWin, the Linked Checking Account is created from the Account Details dialog of the brokerage account. 

There's no way to link an existing checking/cash account to a brokerage account ... as the impact  of the "Show cash in a checking account" option is to remove all cash transactions from the brokerage acct and move them to the LCA.

Yes...that is the idea....thanks for elaborating. Looking for same in QMac.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow linking Brokerage Accounts with Brokerage Cash (checking) accounts.

Allow linking Brokerage Accounts with Brokerage Cash (Checking) accounts. Clearly you have had hundreds of requests for this over the years. You already do it in QW2016. This is a broad based feature request. You already have the logic in QW so please please add. I want to be able to tell my TD Ameritrade Brokerage account that I have a linked cash account. I worked beautifully in QW.
  • molterlynn
    molterlynn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Also Quicken Mac 2017 now no longer lists investment accounts on the Bill Pay report. I pay all of my bills from a Fidelity Cash Management account so the "Bills" tab on QM2017 is useless to me.

Please fix and restore previous functionality!

Yes, I have this issue also. Please restore the Bills tab so that all accounts are listed in the bill reminders section. Please fix so that we can link our money market accounts (checking in brokerage) as a checking account.
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow linking Brokerage Accounts with Brokerage Cash (checking) accounts.

Allow linking Brokerage Accounts with Brokerage Cash (Checking) accounts. Clearly you have had hundreds of requests for this over the years. You already do it in QW2016. This is a broad based feature request. You already have the logic in QW so please please add. I want to be able to tell my TD Ameritrade Brokerage account that I have a linked cash account. I worked beautifully in QW.

I do the same with TDA. Thanks for letting me know not to upgrade! It makes the mobile app useless, but at least the computer works.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Also Quicken Mac 2017 now no longer lists investment accounts on the Bill Pay report. I pay all of my bills from a Fidelity Cash Management account so the "Bills" tab on QM2017 is useless to me.

Please fix and restore previous functionality!

I do not use Q2017 but can you change the account type to checking instead of a money market account?
  • Paul19
    Paul19 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SU request.

I agree.  I just converted from QW.  I am now frustrated!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Allow linking Brokerage Accounts with Brokerage Cash (checking) accounts.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

BTW, the alternative is to have track a separate Cash Balance in the Brokerage account, like is done in QM2007

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Cynthia J Hoffman
    Cynthia J Hoffman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I'm in QMac 2017 as well and use Royal Alliance for investments. My Royal accounts show a "Cash Balance" below the Holdings by Type, but the cash balance is zero, which isn't correct. QMac 2007 didn't have this problem. I am disappointed. Is there a workaround?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

A good place to start is in the transaction register for each account; check if there are any placeholders QM has added ..Modifying or deleting the placeholders seems to solve  these issues. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Brokerage transactions that result in a cash balance should show that
    balance in a linked cash account.  Quicken for Windows did that
    automatically; QM requires manual transfers from the brokerage account
    to the cash account.  A huge pain.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

This is an open, acknowledged & on going issue with Qm as opposed to Qw. Not sure when this will be updated but as you can no doubt observe there are severe limitations with QM as it relates to Investments as a whole. The Quicken folks have committed to parity with Qw but its a few yrs down the road.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    It ́s not only the issue of Qm not supporting this feature, but also that the migration utility to transfer the data from Qw with linked brokerage accounts to Qm creates critical and fatal errors on the account and share balances that makes the migration unusable.  So, the "fix" must include "fixing" the migration utility also.  I had to return Qm mainly because of these huge errors on the migrated data.  It makes Qm unusable.  In fact, I can live with no linked accounts, but I cannot live withe tremendous errors that the migration utility created.  Thus, it is more important to "fix" the migration utility than adding the linked feature.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It ́s not only the issue of Qm not supporting this feature, but also that the migration utility to transfer the data from Qw with linked brokerage accounts to Qm creates critical and fatal errors on the account and share balances that makes the migration unusable.  So, the "fix" must include "fixing" the migration utility also.  I had to return Qm mainly because of these huge errors on the migrated data.  It makes Qm unusable.  In fact, I can live with no linked accounts, but I cannot live withe tremendous errors that the migration utility created.  Thus, it is more important to "fix" the migration utility than adding the linked feature.

Yes, very good point...of course, first the functionality needs to be there. That is step one...but typically (though not a guarantee) when new matching functionality is added, this is then mapped for the conversion tool also. But it is certainly worth pointing it out explicitly.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I have an account with Charles Schwab with investments and checking and a
    direct download to Quicken. It was linked when I had QW2014. When I
    converted to QM2017, the Quicken started downloading only to the
    investment account and not the checking account; so there was a
    remaining cash balance in that account. The investment account had a
    zero balance before the transfer because any cash transactions went to
    the checking account. I merely had to transfer the balance in the
    checking account to the investment account and the transaction register now correctly tracks
    cash and the checking account has a zero balance and is not used. It
    took me a few months to figure this out, having linked accounts in
    QM2017 would have saved me a bunch of time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Bob1581:  I did encounter cash balance problems, which I agree would be relatively easy to fix.  But the problems went beyond that.  I also had major discrepancies between share balances of shares and/or mutual fund balances.  All in all, the migration was completely unusable.  Add to that, that foreign currency transactions are critical for me, and that alone makes the current Qm unusable.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I cannot move to the subscription plan until there are linked accounts. The biggest account I have is a linked account.
  • Larry Berran
    Larry Berran Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I just voted for this and wanted to see if there are updates.  I just migrated a test file to Qm and most things are working great.  This issue however will stop me from moving since I use my brokerage account as my checking account since they service is way better than a bank.  Having to manually transfer most of my transactions would be a non-starter.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm in the process of trying to convert from Q Windows to Q Mac.  Am running both in parallel and see a lot I like in Q Mac.  My Fidelity linked checking a/c works beautifully in Q Windows but fails miserably in Q Mac.  If not fixed, this will be a deal breaker for me.  Doesn't seem this should be very difficult.  Just mimic Q Windows!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    The problem is not only that the feature is not supported in QM, which is bad enough.  But another even more serious part of the problem is that when you use the transfer tool to move your QW data to QM, the data gets terribly scrambled and many share and account balances are way off.  This is even a more critical problem, as I could live without linked accounts now, but I cannot live without an accurate data transfer process.  That was one deal breaker for me for QM.  The other one was the lack of adequate support for foreign currency in QM, and again, the very poor data transfer tool results for amounts where foreign currencies were a factor.
  • jims
    jims Member ✭✭
    I just transferred my 20+ year Quicken data (after trimming back to last 6 years) to Quicken for Mac, having bought a premier subscription for Mac. I had been using QWin in Parallels. Though QMac has made great strides, the lack of ability to handle my linked Fidelity checking account is a deal breaker for me as well. I will have to revert to QWin (for which I do not have a subscription!) until this capability is added to QMac. I may ride out the current subscription in hopes this will be handled, but will cancel before next renewal if it is not. I'm sad about this - I was really liking Quicken for Mac!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you bought Quicken Subscription, you can download both Quicken for Mac as well as Quicken for Windows.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jims and if you have not already, be sure to click the VOTE count above to add your vote for this feature. 

Your VOTE matters!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jims said:
    I just transferred my 20+ year Quicken data (after trimming back to last 6 years) to Quicken for Mac, having bought a premier subscription for Mac. I had been using QWin in Parallels. Though QMac has made great strides, the lack of ability to handle my linked Fidelity checking account is a deal breaker for me as well. I will have to revert to QWin (for which I do not have a subscription!) until this capability is added to QMac. I may ride out the current subscription in hopes this will be handled, but will cancel before next renewal if it is not. I'm sad about this - I was really liking Quicken for Mac!
    As a work-around, if the volume of transactions is not too great, you could remove and replace the linked transactions. This has worked for some.

• jims
    jims Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    smayer97 said:
    jims said:
    As a work-around, if the volume of transactions is not too great, you could remove and replace the linked transactions. This has worked for some.

Yes, thank you - I'm aware of that. If it were an account I didn't use a lot, that would be an option. However, as this is my primary account, where most of my activity takes place, it is an unworkable solution long-term. If I knew this was something they were going to address in say, the next 6 months or so, I might go forward with something like that. But since they understandably cannot commit to development targets, I am a bit reluctant to put off simply going back to QWin.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jims +1

• jimvanzino
    jimvanzino Member ✭✭
    Hoping for an update on this issue as I just switched and am having the same problem.
    Thanks!
  • I started using Quicken in 1996 and I started using a Mac in 2003. Since 2003, I keep trying to switch my Quicken file from Windows to Mac, and each time, I stumble across functionality I am missing in the Mac version and I keep having to revert to the Windows version. This time, I am missing the "Show cash in a checking account" option (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-add-linked-checking-account-existing-investment-account) so, now I'm back to the Windows version. PLEASE add this feature, and the 2-line register.
  • noel67
    noel67 Member
    I do not see the VOTE tab. Where is it?