Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we’re launching Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1.  Please comment in this thread with any 2017 v4.2.1 issues you run into so we can find and address them faster.  

In 2017, we’ve made a number of improvements.  

1) The first and most obvious is a new user experience that separates accounts and features.  The accounts remain on the sidebar but we’ve moved features such as home, reports, budgets, bills, calendar and alerts to the top of the window which is similar to Quicken for Windows.  In fact the 2 products share a similar color scheme to unify the look and feel across different desktop platforms.  We decided to move features to the top of the app window because many first time users and converters didn’t notice and didn’t expect our features to be on the sidebar so we believe this will improve discoverability and general usability.

2) We have new reports providing the ability to create comparison and summary reports.  You can customize these reports by defining the rows and columns, accounts, categories, tags and payees.

3) We have also improved bill pay.  Quicken 2017 now includes both bank connect bill pay and Quicken Bill Pay the paid Quicken service that allows you to pay bills from almost any bank including small regional banks and the ability to pay anyone.  We heard a number of Quicken for Mac 2007 customers were holding out for this feature.

4) Improved mobile app capabilities including an investment portfolio view, offline editing and deeper search on the device.

And this doesn’t include all the features we shipped for free to owners of Quicken 2016 through out the past year including 12-month budgets, built-in Quicken Windows file import, tax information export, investment portfolio time machine which allows you to see historical portfolio values and a new more accurate reconcile.

Quicken for Mac 2017 runs on Sierra and will import Quicken Essentials files which unfortunately stopped working on Sierra.   For those of you who are techy types, Quicken Essentials used an old memory management system which macOS Sierra no longer supports which is why it stopped working.  

Quicken for Mac 2007 appears to still be chugging along so you can continue to run that app as long as it continues to run but we have stopped officially supporting it as of today.

Finally, there’s a slight hiccup with the Mac App Store so it continues to offer the 2016 version.  We’re working with Apple to resolve the issue.  Rest assured that if you purchase the 2016 release now, we will provide you a free copy of 2017.  More details to come.

Please let us know your thoughts on 2017 and any issues you may find in the comments below. 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

The site only accepts US addresses. You can try using 99999 for the zip code (as instructed by Quicken here: https://www.quicken.com/support/registering-using-address-outside-united-states).

Be aware of registration caveats here: https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-quicken-registration

If that fails, you can contact support to complete your purchase. Otherwise, you can purchase it from third party vendors that accept Canadian addresses (Amazon.com, NOT .ca, Apple Store, etc).
    https://www.quicken.com/support

Note that if you use the Apple Store, updates to Quicken can be delayed by days, and in some cases, weeks, due to Apple's approval process.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks but you can't enter 99999 for the billing address since it won't match my credit card. Also, Quicken Mac 2017 doesn't seem to be on Amazon.com (not yet anyway). I guess I'll just have to wait.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Oops, it is on Amazon. I'll try that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

OK, that didn't work either - Amazon says "Unavailable 
    This item is currently unavailable. This item is not available for purchase due to geographical restrictions." :-(
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Is Quicken 2017 going to be available to UK residents?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Norm,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having purchasing Quicken 2017. Are you trying to purchase the US version of Quicken or the Canadian version of Quicken. The Canadian version will not be available for another month or so.

Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    There hasn't been a Canadian Version of Quicken Mac in years. I don't believe there will be one for 2017 either.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Norm,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having purchasing Quicken 2017. Are you trying to purchase the US version of Quicken or the Canadian version of Quicken. The Canadian version will not be available for another month or so.

Dave

Sorry, I didn't reply in-line. See response below.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    the new report feature needs to have the first default number column to be the current year and the second column the prior year, with a variance. Please allow that. The summary report when using payees, had a very wide first field with the totals on the far right of the report. Please allow column sizing within the new reports.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!

There is a preference for this, could be clicking the 3 dots at the top of the left pane
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    So far so good, the new mobile app is good but it does NOT allow me to update my transactions offlne. It just lets me view them (something it didn't do before after the cache expired). Any ideas to get the offline feature to work? Otherwise I'm still happy because it's the first version I've had that does not crash and log me off all the time!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Where can one locate pricing info for Quicken Bill Pay?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Sorry we're looking into this.  For Quicken Windows, there is a separate Canadian version that is different from the US version which is why our systems are set up o be US only.  This of course is not the case for Mac so investigating.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Yes, this is a preference so click on the three dots to turn on cents.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    opt said:

the new report feature needs to have the first default number column to be the current year and the second column the prior year, with a variance. Please allow that. The summary report when using payees, had a very wide first field with the totals on the far right of the report. Please allow column sizing within the new reports.

Great comments.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

This is the top requested budget feature and was too much to bite off for the launch of 2017 but we're doing our own resource and budgeting exercise now to figure out what we work on next.  There's a bunch of work that we have to do to get off of Intuit services now that we're a separate company so that is going to take a bunch of work to do.
  • Christian Gingras
    Christian Gingras Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I'm using Quicken 2007 on a Mac and would very much like to use a more modern version. The Forecast feature is very important to me and I understand the Projected Balance works the same way in the recent versions. Am I right? If it is, I will buy Quicken 2017 for Mac. But I'm also in Canada and can't buy the software from Quicken, Amazon or the Apple Store because of my geographical location. When will we be able to buy Quicken in Canada?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    After years of using QM2007 I purchased Quicken for Mac 2016, two days ago.  I knew Quicken 2017 was in the works but everything I read on the website indicated it would be released early next year.  I haven't even started using QM2016 and it is already out of date.  And you have the nerve to send me a notice that I can upgrade for another $70.  That's really no way to treat your customers.  At lease you could offer to give users who purchased QM2016 within the last month a BIG discount.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I too am feeling taken advantage of.  Less than a year ago I purchased QM2016, it has never worked totally and now you offer a $10 discount to upgrade.  The term robbery comes to mind?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2017
    Make sure you've downloaded the latest mobile app.  We'll allow you to edit payee, category, memo and tag.  All the transactions you edit offline will have an exclamation with a circle around it to indicate it's in offline mode.  You can even add a manual transaction.  We're seeing some possible bugs in this feature.  Investigating it now.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Question, my bank USAA never supported Direct Connect bill pay, so I was not able to utilize it on Quicken Mac '16. Does the implemented Quicken Bill Pay differ and will it allow me to pay my bills through USAA?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Craig said:

Question, my bank USAA never supported Direct Connect bill pay, so I was not able to utilize it on Quicken Mac '16. Does the implemented Quicken Bill Pay differ and will it allow me to pay my bills through USAA?

I also just signed up for Quicken Bill Pay for Quicken Mac '17 and received this message. Is this normal protocol or did something flag my information? :

We want to spend more time reviewing your information.

For your protection, we really want to make sure you are who you say you are and not someone trying to use your information.

In the meantime, you can set up your payees in Quicken.

Within two business days, you should receive an e-mail that lets you know whether the signup was successful.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Where can one locate pricing info for Quicken Bill Pay?

Using Quicken Bill Pay  how will the transactions download into the register?
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

So this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Make sure you've downloaded the latest mobile app.  We'll allow you to edit payee, category, memo and tag.  All the transactions you edit offline will have an exclamation with a circle around it to indicate it's in offline mode.  You can even add a manual transaction.  We're seeing some possible bugs in this feature.  Investigating it now.

Marcus.. let me say I like the new Quicken for Mac 2017 and you guys finally fixed th mobile app.  It's been crashing on me for over a year but with this new update it works.  I am not however able to add transactions offline.  I'm still a very happy camper but is this a known issue or is there something I can do?  Love the idea of being able to add transactions without connection. Happens to me on the road sometimes (no signal).  Thanks for any assistance you can give!  Great job though!
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!
This discussion has been closed.