Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Comments

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

No not at the present

I agreed with Tom above.  I don't think any of us on this site should buy this until we at least some discount that would be worth our while.  We suffered though the year with issues and based on the responses I have seen so far with 2017, it looks like we will continue with problems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Agree. No Canadian option at checkout.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Same here. Current user of QMAC. 
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am new to this voting.  Where are the 3 dots you are referring to?  I do not see anything like three dots in the top left.   Could you attach a screenshot?   Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

Thanks for the link.  I guess this answers my question that both QM2016 and the new QM2017 still pop open split transactions during the reconciliation process.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    How can I record an opening balance for investment or savings account that is added manually I seem to cannot find that thanks for any help
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

I vote for this feature too. Makes budgeting difficult without it....In addition it would be nice if you could port this feature to 2016 as well when its ready.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

So make sure to click VOTE at the link above.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

BTW, Canadians should be able to have your order processed via Quicken support over the phone, at least for the download option. Give them a try here: https://www.quicken.com/support  650-250-1900 / 1-888-311-7276

Report back to confirm your results.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!

Not sure what voting you are referring to.

If you want to display cents in the sidebar in Quicken, look for 3 dots (...) in the top left of the sidebar in Quicken. Click on it to change the setting.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Just purchased Quicken for Mac 2017.....install went fine but program doesn't work. Everytime I open it and try to convert my 2016 file it crashes
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    my old quicken quit working when I upgraded mac. I just purchase 2017 but can't seem to get it to open and update my old version
  • Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

So there is no future date that Quicken 2016 transaction downloads will stop like has been the practice with Quicken Windows releases?
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Vladimir said:

Sadly, the new look has lost its neutrality and consistency with the macOS interface.

Mac UI standards are there for the reason that it was well thought out in the last century and provides for learn-once, apply many places logic.  Apple continually changes the UI and not always for the benefit of the user (Why can't we have colored icons in the Finder?) but basics are the same.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Where did the box go to upgrade today and save $10? I couldn't upgrade at that moment and now I can't find that box anywhere.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Make sure you've downloaded the latest mobile app.  We'll allow you to edit payee, category, memo and tag.  All the transactions you edit offline will have an exclamation with a circle around it to indicate it's in offline mode.  You can even add a manual transaction.  We're seeing some possible bugs in this feature.  Investigating it now.

We're noticing an issue that 2017 features are not turned on if you don't log out and log back in.  Can you give this a try and let me know if that might work.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

Question, my bank USAA never supported Direct Connect bill pay, so I was not able to utilize it on Quicken Mac '16. Does the implemented Quicken Bill Pay differ and will it allow me to pay my bills through USAA?

Yah, this means there is something that triggered a deeper look.  Possibly you've moved a lot or maybe answered one of the Equifax questions incorrectly.  Some of those questions are hard to answer.   It's not necessarily a bad thing.  I would just wait to see what they come back with.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

Quicken Mac has the same 3 year discontinuation policy as Quicken Windows.   Since you just purchased 2017 it means downloads will work until May 1, 2020.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

here is the entire process:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-converting-from-quicken-for-windows-includin...
    In your case, since you did not specify which version of QWin you are using, review all the prep and background info before.
    NOTE: Be aware that at this time, it is very difficult to convert back from Mac to Windows, as there are many problems with the reverse conversion process.

I also suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it was re-written from the ground up (starting in 2010 with Quicken Essentials) and is not the same product as the Windows version, so there are some features that are still not there e.g. loan amortization, 2-line display, QuickMath, auto-backups, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, theinvestment lot management and performance reports (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
    Also read some of the Fixes and Improvements that are being released soon here:
    http://www.quicken.com/upcoming-product-fixes-and-improvements
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts,  or have rollover capability.

If you find that QM2017 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to run Quicken for Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac. There are 5 popular products you can use: Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Oracle VirtualBox, Bootcamp or CrossOver. The first 4 require you to also buy a copy of Windows. The first 2 cost $50-80, the third and forth are free. CrossOver also costs about $50-$80 but does NOT require you to buy Windows.

If you plan to keep your PC & Mac, you could also run Quicken on the PC and use remote access (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken from your Mac  (or even a tablet or phone) (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ).

• Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Harold-Jr said:

Much of these links were helpful, though a couple would have been better if I had read them before converting.  I also just went from QW2016 to QW2017.  In the latter, I see cosmetic changes only; it is easier to read.  Many of the caveats for QM2017 are no longer true.  There is Quicken Bill Pay, for instance.  I noticed that not all my passwords came over, but they were easily reinserted in the Mac version.  I am hoping that the Mac version keeps up.  I am tired of using Parallels and WIndows 10, because every time Windows sends an update, the appearance of my Quicken windows change.
    I did notice that QM keeps files hidden in the library not in the data directories.  The main data file can be moved.  Also, whereas QW will let me back up to a network drive, QM will not even though I can see it in a separate Finder window.
    Thank you for your help.  Work in progress.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Harold-Jr said:

Instructions above make no mention of Bill Pay but it do point to older articles that may still make reference to these things. 

Glad it worked out ok for you.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

Yes, we still do it.  It's pretty annoying.  We'll try to provide an option eventually.  We've been so focused on trying to add big stuff that we haven't fixed the little things.  We plan to change that.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

So far so good, the new mobile app is good but it does NOT allow me to update my transactions offlne. It just lets me view them (something it didn't do before after the cache expired). Any ideas to get the offline feature to work? Otherwise I'm still happy because it's the first version I've had that does not crash and log me off all the time!

Try signing out and back in.   In fact anyone not seeing 2017 features, sign out of the mobile app and sign back in.  This should "turn on" the 2017 features.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Where can one locate pricing info for Quicken Bill Pay?

Go to http://quickenbillpay.com/ to learn more.  Transactions are downloaded in the normal way.  You can connect your account using quicken connect or direct connect.  There's nothing special about that.  If you are paying bills, you have to create the transaction manually from within Quicken and then click on the Pay Now button.  You have to hit the update now button to get status of your bill pay. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

So far so good, the new mobile app is good but it does NOT allow me to update my transactions offlne. It just lets me view them (something it didn't do before after the cache expired). Any ideas to get the offline feature to work? Otherwise I'm still happy because it's the first version I've had that does not crash and log me off all the time!

Just to be clear, does this mean that QM2017 features show up in the same old version of the Quicken Mobile app? There is no need to update the Mobile app?

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Robert B said:

I too am feeling taken advantage of.  Less than a year ago I purchased QM2016, it has never worked totally and now you offer a $10 discount to upgrade.  The term robbery comes to mind?

I totally agree with jacobs.  Don't buy it if it doesn't work for you or doesn't have the functionality you need.  You should also contact our support so they can help you figure out why 2016 isn't working as well as you expect.  Phone support is included in your purchase price.    
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

Loans are the top requested feature.  I'm not sure I agree with your analogy since lots of people don't own homes but I get your point.    
This discussion has been closed.