Mac Quicken 2006 to 2017

Believe it or not, I've been running Quicken for Mac 2006 until now.  I just got a new Mac which runs the Sierra OS and won't open Quicken 2006, and so I need to upgrade.  Will Quicken 2017 open data files from 2006?  Is some sort of intermediate step necessary to get it to open, or to convert the file?  Am I better off getting Quicken 2016?  Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Assuming your file is healthy, 2017 should import your file. Simply follow the steps to import a 2007 file, and your older file should work.

If it does not, then contact support to obtain a copy of 2007 ("Lion Compatible") that will work under Sierra. Migrate to that, and then you will be able to move to 2017. But, I think the direct transfer should work.

https://www.quicken.com/support#osx
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Though officially QM2017 only supports loading and converting from QM007, QM2006 is the data data structure and so will read and convert that data file directly. In the event that there is a problem, you should be able to get QM2007 LC as an intermediary version for free. 

That said, I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. loan amortization, 2-line display, QuickMath, auto-backups, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, investment lot management, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

Currently, the main advantages of QM2017 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that QM2017 is being supported until April 30, 2020 whereas it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 is released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for MacAdd your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-mac-release-notes
    Also read some of the Fixes and Improvements that are being released soon here:
    http://www.quicken.com/upcoming-product-fixes-and-improvements
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

If you find that QM2017 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to try to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.12 Sierra (so far) by contacting Quicken support here: http://www.quicken.com/contact-support
    Be sure to select Quicken for Mac 2007 Lion, Shopping and Buying, Buying Quicken to avoid a tech support fee. They may charge you $15 for the software. 
    NOTE: If you purchase QM2017, you should be able to get QM2007 for free by contacting support. Just select QM2017 support instead. Some of the cheapest places to purchase it are places like Amazon.

If you try to get QM2007, please report back here to confirm whether or not you were successful.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Thanks so much for all the info!  I will try to dive into all these links tomorrow and I'll let you know how I do.  Appreciate all your time and expertise. :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Looks like Quicken 2017 should be fine for my purposes.  I purchased and installed, then tried to import my Quicken 2006 file in (as if it were a 2007 file).  Didn't work ("an error occurred while preparing the file to be imported").  I'll go ahead and ask Quicken for a copy of 2007 LC to help me bridge the gap, and will report back.  Thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    The latest -- just got offline with chat support.  They couldn't give me 2007 LC for free, but they gave me 2015.  That wouldn't open the file either.  But they said phone support could give me 2007 LC for free, so I'll call them in the morning...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Just downloaded 2007 LC and tried importing data file... no dice.  They instructed me to EXPORT a data file from 2006, then try to import that into 2007 (rather than just trying to open my existing 2006 data file).  I'll give this a whirl tonight at home.  The saga continues...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    So you were successful in getting QM2007 LC. Thx for confirming. 

So are you getting an error message trying to read your QM2006 data file into QM2007? If so, what is it? QM2007 should be able to read the 2006 data without an issue. If it cannot, that suggests there may be an issue with your data file.

Have you tried some troubleshooting on your QM2006 data file first, to make sure it is in good order before moving to another version? Take a look at the following: https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-data-file-problems-quicken-mac-2007

BTW, always work on a copy of your data file just in case.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Message was "can't import file" or something like that.  I'll be sure to troubleshoot the 2006 file before exporting it tonight... thanks for the link (and I'll be sure to work on a copy).  Thanks again!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    All right!  I'm finally finished and can make my full/final report.  My big problem was that my 2006 data file was very old, very large, and had apparently picked up some corruptions along the way.  Despite multiple reindexes (per advice in your link above), it wasn't able to clean itself up all the way.  Ultimately I saved out a version that lopped off the oldest data, which I was able to export cleanly.  That imported into 2007, but with some variances compared to the 2006 version (some missing transactions, some duped transactions).  I spent some time manually bringing the accounts into balance in the Q2007 version, then was able to import that file into 2017 with no problem.  Mission (finally) accomplished!  If you have any advice about file maintenance in 2017 (to avoid such problems in future), I'm all ears.  One big final thank you for all your time and concern -- I really appreciated having someone knowledgeable and helpful walking me through!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    ywc.  

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Just discovered that the link above to the "List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin..." was broken. It is now fixed.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Hello, smayer97.  I'm wondering if you can help ME.  I too have been using Quicken 2006 ... until earlier this year, when it quit working (program will not open).  I have an older iMac which I have not updated the OS .. so it is still running Mac OS 10.6.8   I have MANY years worth of data files that I now cannot access.  The Quicken support chat agent tells me that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to access these files - that Quicken 2006 is too OLD.  I acknowledge that Quicken 2006 is no longer supported. Do you think that if I purchased the newest version (2018) or the 2017 version, that I might be able to access my old data files (saved from the old computer - & then download to the new computer (running 10.12.6)?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Let's follow this discussion on your other thread...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    I upgraded operating system to High Sierra, installed Quicken for Mac 2018, but cannot access Quicken 2007 data file to import.  What to do?  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Please start a new thread and provide details about steps tried and any messages you get.

• LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    Hello SMayer97, I am trying to convert 2006 Mac Quicken file to 2019 Mac Quicken. I get an error message when trying to open the .qdfm file. Quicken chat tech said I should buy Quicken 2007 (Where??) or Quicken Essentials to use as intermediary. I have 25 years of finances I really don't want to lose. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have investment data, you cannot use QEM as an intermediary since that version lacks support for investment transactions.

BTW what error message do you get? Although officially QM2019 converts from QM2007 and later only, it is supposed to convert QM2005 or QM2006 data too since the data format is identical, unless Quicken has added additional artificial barriers recently.

If so, then you will need QM2007, either the PPC version (v16.0.x) (which can only run on MacOS X 10.6.8 or older) or the Lion version (v16.1.x or higher) which can run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher, including Mojave, 10.14). These have become scarce but you will have to source it out in places like eBay. Unfortunately, there is no other way to migrate data otherwise.

• LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I have found only one copy of QM2007 on eBay for $55, spendy but I might do it. The error message is "could not import "name of file.qdfm" - an error occurred while preparing the file to be imported.
  • LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    PS - I don't have investment data in my Quicken 2006. Does that mean the Quicken Essentials would work for conversion?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Essentials, if you could find it, won't run on macOS High Sierra. Quicken 2007 will.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    A couple of things to try before you make a purchase:
    - try to re-index your file - open the Account list (Lists menu > Accounts) then press CMD-OPT-B then try to import the data file
    - use File menu > Save a Copy and create a duplicate file then try to import that newly created duplicate file

• LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    Neither indexing or making/importing a duplicate file worked. Same error message.
  • jacobs
    At this point, I don't think there's any way to tell whether getting a copy of Quicken 2007 will fix whatever problem there is in your data file and allow Quicken 2019 to import it, or if there's some sort of corruption in your data file such that it still won't import. It's really annoying to have to decide whether to pay the ransom-like fee that user on eBay is charging (and I'm guessing he's just making copies of the program, since it's not locked in any way, and putting them on a $3 flash drive) to use it once as an intermediary. If it works, I guess it's worth it; if not, it'll be really annoying. Quicken used to give out intermediary copies for free, but there was some licensing issue with Quicken 2007 that led them to stop offering it, even as a lifeboat.

Sorry, I wish there was more to suggest for you to try. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    ... there was some licensing issue with Quicken 2007 that led them to stop offering it, even as a lifeboat. 
    Interesting bit of info. Where did you come across that info that the reason was due to a licensing issue? Is this the same reason they stopped offering QM2006 too?

• jacobs
    @smayer97 I don't know it 100% for sure, but I wasn't going to go into the gray areas of that issue because it's not relevant to this conversation. So this is way off topic, but since you asked...

In short, there was some secretive deal when they came up with the Lion Compatible version which involved some magical code which replaced Rosetta to enable it to work. I never knew definitively what they got, but there seemed to be only two possibilities: they got the Rosetta code (or a subset thereof) from Apple, which seems unlikely, or they got it from Transitive, the company that actually created the Rosetta code for Apple. Transitive was acquired by IBM in 2008, and its products were eventually discontinued. But in 2011, Quicken surprisingly announced that it would re-release Quicken 2007 to run on the Lion OS. They didn't touch anything at all in the Quicken code; typos and little bugs were untouched -- it just suddenly came back to life because they had found some way of injecting the Rosetta-like code into the application. They then got odd about it, not widely promoting it, burying it on their website, selling it for a small fee, making it available only via direct sale on that lone standalone web page... it was all just a bit odd. And the oddness continued as we got a few years later into the Quicken 2015 era, and obtaining Quicken 2007 from Quicken as a bridge -- something the company had always provided in the past, usually for free -- became ever-harder until they finally stopped selling it, or providing it, completely. I'm certain there was something in the licensing for the Rosetta-like code that was secretive and had a limited duration or put someone on thin ice, and I feel pretty certain that's what led them to cease all distribution of it, even though it would clearly help them convert customers to their current, paid software. So my statement is not based on 100% knowledge, only certain known facts and trying to connect the dots and read between the unspoken lines.

I hope that helps answer your question; I know you like to point to have definitive reference sources to cite, so if since this doesn't meet those criteria, please accept it for what it is and don't post back about what we don't know for certain. ;)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speculation is fine...but you presented it as fact. So I just wanted to be clear about it. Thanks for clarifying that it is just conjecture.

• LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    Jacobs - is there some reason you believe my 2006 file may be corrupted? the Quicken tech support said it's a 50-50 chance that 2006 will import like 2007. Just trying to weigh my options here, but you're right, it's annoying!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply because QM2019 is rejecting it....

If all else fails, another thing you can try without having to get QM2007 is to export all your data using QIF format, then import that data back into a new QM2006 data file, then attempt to import that into QM2019. You may need to do some clean-up in the new QM2006 data file beforehand and it may not be a clean process but since you have not investment data, it might not be so bad.

• jacobs
    edited July 2019
    @LGreen You're reporting that Quicken 2019 will not import your Quicken 2006 file, even after reindexing and doing Save A Copy to create a fresh copy, right?

So that means one of three things to me:

1) There's some subtle difference between quicken 2006 and Quicken 2007 data files that is causing the Quicken 2019 importer to fail. I believe that is unlikely because there is supposedly no difference in the file format of Quicken 2006 and 2007 files, and other Quicken 2006 users have reported they successfully imported thier data to the modern Quicken Mac.

2) There's a bug in the Quicken 2019 importer that your data file is running into. That seems pretty unlikely to me because the modern Quicken Mac import code has been pretty solid and unchanging for a few years now, and many thousands of people have imported thier older data files without reporting this problem.

3) That leaves: there's something about your Quicken 2006 data file that is tripping up the Quicken 2019 importer. I don't know if "corruption" is exactly the right word, but it's presenting something unexpected by the import code.

So what I said above was simply that I don't think there's any way to know whether getting a copy of Quicken 2007 will fix whatever problem you've encountered and allow Quicken 2019 to import it or not. Before spending the $55 for Quicken 2007, it would be nice to know if you have a reasonable chance of success -- and I just don't know from the facts we have at hand here. If I was going to guess, I'd say no, because it's my understanding that a Quicken 2006 file should work and that opening the file in Quicken 2007 wouldn't change the data in your file. But I definitely don't know that for certain.

Out of curiosity, when you begin the import process, does this error pop up instantly, or after it's been working on "preparing to import" for awhile?

If you want to experiment further -- using only copies of your 2006 data file! -- what if you tried deleting an account or two from the file, quitting, and then importing? Perhaps you could identify a problem with a particualr account that way. It is possible to later do multiple imports into a Quicken 2019 file, so it's possible that breaking your 2006 dat afile into multiple copies, each with one or more different accounts could be individually imported and merged back together in Quicken 2019. And if you identify a problem acocunt, then you could perhaps deletre some transactions from it and try to zero in on how much of it is okay and where it hits the problem. This is all just throwing ideas at you; I have no idea what the problem is, nor whether this would work or just waste your time.
  • LGreen
    LGreen Member ✭✭
    Jacobs, thanks for your detailed reply. The error message occurs after about two seconds of 'importing file' and the wheel turning. Then it reports 'error occurred while preparing the file to import'.

As for the idea of breaking up my 2006 data file, I guess it makes sense to me that I would delete one account at a time and save individually... but, assuming 2019 Quicken imports most or all of them, how does one put the single account files back together? As I've said, I've got 26 years of data here, so the Quicken data file has a lot in it.

Thanks for the help, this is a big reason I've put off upgrading my system so long!
This discussion has been closed.