How to record gold as an investment

gksmith5
gksmith5 Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I own gold krugerands as an investment.  I have them entered as an asset, so consequently they do not show under investments.  How should I have done this, as I would like for them to show as part of my portfolio for analysis. 

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You could add them as an investment. Enter it as 1 share per ounce and then you can keep track of the price/ounce. I don't know if there's a ticker symbol for gold for price per ounce but there might be.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Kruger Rand coins (or any other coins or collectible items) can be tracked in Quicken.
    Create a "manual" investment account, not connected to any bank or broker for transaction downloading.
    Create a Security "Kruger Rand", Type = Other, without a ticker symbol.
    Track your buys and sells as if you were buying or selling company stock.

If you get price updates use the Portfolio View to enter the new price, so you know what your coins are worth now.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I could update my prices in Q-Mac 2007, but Q2017 for Mac, the portfolio can't be edited?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    t.oswalt2 said:

I could update my prices in Q-Mac 2007, but Q2017 for Mac, the portfolio can't be edited?

You can update the prices manually but it is a multi-step process and it currently cannot be done via the portfolio window. Some one else will have to outline the steps, or check Quicken Help.

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to Add ability to manually update security quotes within the portfolio window.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the  Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.